Need advice on Subcompact for Harley biker

This is a discussion on Need advice on Subcompact for Harley biker within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My primary mode of transport is a Harley motorcycle. I have tried to carry my Sig Pro 2022 but it prints way too much. I ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need advice on Subcompact for Harley biker

My primary mode of transport is a Harley motorcycle. I have tried to carry my Sig Pro 2022 but it prints way too much. I need a better concealable pistol. I live in Georgia and have a permit to carry. I am an Army Vet and avid shooter and very comfortable with any style pistol. I am an average sized guy 5'9", 180 pounds.

I am looking for a subcompact or possibly a compact. I am not familiar with any of the smaller pistols and need some advice. I don't want to spend a bunch, maybe up to about $400 and I will probably be looking at used guns. My primary need is for something that is very easily concealed and doesn't print. I am no fan of .22, .32 or other small calibur guns.

Any suggestions?

Administrator
    j frame or Keltec
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by DYI Hunting View Post
    My primary mode of transport is a Harley motorcycle. I have tried to carry my Sig Pro 2022 but it prints way too much. I need a better concealable pistol. I live in Georgia and have a permit to carry. I am an Army Vet and avid shooter and very comfortable with any style pistol. I am an average sized guy 5'9", 180 pounds.

I am looking for a subcompact or possibly a compact. I am not familiar with any of the smaller pistols and need some advice. I don't want to spend a bunch, maybe up to about $400 and I will probably be looking at used guns. My primary need is for something that is very easily concealed and doesn't print. I am no fan of .22, .32 or other small calibur guns.

Any suggestions?
    It could also be your holster. What do you carry in? I carry a Sig P220 with no printing issues.

I also carry a S&W 908S at times. It's great for carry, but I prefer my Sig.

I was using an Uncle Mikes OWB. I can carry ok with a jacket on, but summer is approaching and I will be jacket-less. I am looking something that I can carry in jeans and an untucked t-shirt.

Senior Moderator
    Better holster is definitely in order.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

I am no holster guy, I admit my knowledge is pretty much nill outside of knowing OWB and IWB. The guy at the gun store recommend Uncle Mikes OWB over a kydex style holster.

So looks like I need a new holster and a subcompact.

And a new Gunstore Guy.

Recommends Uncle Mikes?....hhhmmmm
    R1

This is mine. That is yours.

Lets keep it that way.

For riding and a lot of the rest of the time, I use a shoulder rig. Belt rigs, iwb or owb have gotten exposed for me due to wind.

I might be looking at an ankle holster. It seems that would work if I was carrying a small enough gun. I am no fan of small guns, but when no other option is available, they will have to do.

BTW, this will have to be my standard carry gun since I ride my Harley and only take the truck when I have to haul something or it is really pouring outside. I ride all seasons, all temperatures and put about 15,000 miles on it a year.

I too ride a Harley and I carry a Springfield Micro Compact 1911 .45ACP in a well made pancake holster. In summer weather I wear a button up shirt two sizes bigger than I normally wear and make sure the bottom two buttons are buttoned.

I have had no printing issues or exposure problems.

Ankle holsters just seem to time consuming for me as it really slows down the speed of the draw.
    Last edited by Pajohnohio; April 17th, 2007 at 12:58 PM. Reason: Typos
    The FIRST rule in a gunfight is to BRING a GUN!
    -Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by Pajohnohio View Post
    I too ride a Harley and I carry a Springfield Micro Compact 1911 .45ACP in a well made pancake holster. In summer weather I wear a button up shirt two sizes bigger than I normally wear and make sure the bottom two buttons are buttoned.
    I like the idea of a button up, but wear it over my t-shirt while I ride and leave it with the bike. I have though about wearing a blue-jean vest while I ride since I have so may patches laying around. Either would work to keep it concealed while I ride. I really need to go to a better gun shop for a holster, there is one that deals with cops alot that is probably a better bet for a good holster. Ok, that is out of the way.

Now the gun itself. Kahr, Keltec, Bersa, Beretta Tomcat, etc? Which is small and reliable?

Quote Originally Posted by DYI Hunting View Post

Any suggestions?
    S&W 442/642. It should be in the upper end of your price range.

By the way, I ride an aircooled Ducati. Keep the shiney side up and the rubber side down.

Biker

Senior Member Array incredipete's Avatar
    I'm a fan of the Kel-Tek P3AT and the Glock 27.
    Gun Control means never having to say "I missed you."

- Glock 27 (.40)
    - Kel-Tec p3at (.380)
    - Beretta 96FS (.40)
    - Smith & Wesson 5906 (9mm)

How do the wheel guns like the 642 carry compared to a subcompact semi? Comfort, concealment?

I have been hearing alot about the Kel-Tecs. Are they reliable enough to bet your life on it? I don't know anything about them. I have always been a S&W and Sig Pro guy. I have checked out a few Glocks, but never really got into them, they feel so blocky.

How about a Kahr CW9 mine costs $422 NIB it shoots OK and is pretty slim and it is a 9mm rated for +P if that turns you on.
    May God Bless the United States of America and our troops in harms way.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links