Thinking about a new carry gun what do you think

This is a discussion on Thinking about a new carry gun what do you think within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I saw this at the NRA convention and was wondering if you think it would conceal good and if I could find a IWB holster ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about a new carry gun what do you think

Senior Member Array Timmy Jimmy's Avatar

Thinking about a new carry gun what do you think

I saw this at the NRA convention and was wondering if you think it would conceal good and if I could find a IWB holster for it?

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...07&isFirearm=Y
    Timmy Jimmy

If it is not in the US Constitution then the Federal Government should not be doing it.

"Carrying a gun is a social responsibility."

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    You could be setting yourself up for a lawsuit if you ever had to use it.

I'm afraid that a 500 magnum would be used against you in a court of law.

That being said I have often thought about a .454 carry .45 Long Colts.

Please disregard if you were kidding
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    You could just walk around with it in that pretty orange case!! lol
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

Center of the World Ma! Center of the World!
    Got a problem with Grizzlies in your neck of the woods? If so I don’t think I want to visit Texas again anytime soon.
    "Hell of a thing, killin' a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."
    - William Munny (Clint Eastwood in the Unfrogivin)

“The graveyards are full of indispensable men.” – Napoleon Bonaparte

“My Idea of a fair fight is beating baby seals with a club”

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    To me this is a welcome break , and ill suggest that when you get that custom IWB made , go ahead and get some suspenders made to go with the belt/holster . Or hire a " gunbearer " to just wheel it beside you in your " tactical wheelbarrow " LOL .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs View Post
    Or hire a " gunbearer " to just wheel it beside you in your " tactical wheelbarrow " LOL .
    Hey, wait a minute. You could be on to something here. While nattily dressed in our tropical khakis, pith helmet and a proper gin and tonic we witness a marauding armed scumbag charging us through the crowd! We simply hold out our right hand and say "Habib! The .500 if you please. Then with a stiff upper lip we prepare to meet the charge....."

Could be a whole new career field complete with training, certification and licensing requirements. A CCW Gunbearer!!!! Tactical wheelbarrow sold seperately......
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Gin and Tonic ?? Please we are in the American colonies after all. A proper gentleman has a Jack and coke , Rum and coke , or simply Famous Grouse on the rocks ( The bearer may have a budweiser if tacticly approprate ) .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

True, true, we wouldn't want to be mistaken for a colonial power I suppose........
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

i don't think it's really suited for carry. it's a bit on the heavy side; it really meant aas an emergency piece, as per it's advertisement.

New Member Array T&A Gunsmithing's Avatar
    I know you didn’t ask. But since I have three wrecked 500’s in the safe I thought I would throw out an opinion on these things. And Maybe S&W has corrected a problem or two with the guns but when I spoke with them they swore the problems didn’t even exist. Great gun for casual shooting. Seem to hold up okay. Definitely has to have an extra power cylinder stop spring. Wolf makes one. Have seen the guns double. No kidding. End shake comes on after less then a thousand rounds I think. No bearings available last time I checked. I stretched our cranes three times each before retiring the guns. Cylinder alignment is always going to hell. Bad spitting with about any load. Basically these are great guns for the hunter or casual shooter or for whatever else you may have in mind. They just aren’t built enough to stand up to lots and lots of shooting is all.

I was at the range today and stopped at the gun counter to look at one. Of course the salesman can spot whats up and puts it in my hand.The only thing that held me back was a box of 12 rounds was $50. So at higher than .50 BMG rounds how do you get retired guns in the safe that get worn out? I will admit to putting thousands of dollars in lead into sand pits and punching paper but never at $4 a round. It seems that is the magical barrier I will not yet cross. As a kid I worked as a gas jockey at a full service gas station.Self serve had not been invented yet.Customers who for years had filled up for under $5 would still only put in five. Many stated they would never pay $1. a gallon and would sell their cars first and walk before they would let gas get that high.
    Lets see... Okay but if I ever have to pay $4 a round it better be really big like say... Oh just forget it. And then Yes I would carry it concealed. Just not in an inside the the underpants holster.
    I am an American. I vote. I will serve on a jury when called. Its a MEMBERS ONLY thing.

Senior Member Array LoveLeather's Avatar
    The guy aiming that snub at a charging Grizzly probably caused the end shake....

New Member Array T&A Gunsmithing's Avatar
    Actually I'm the in-house gunsmith at a very busy range close to NYC. We have a pay as you shoot section and charge $5.00 per shot on the .500. (our most expensive gun) On some busy weekend people are lined up all day to shoot these guns. Put out a nice loud G3 for example once and had we figure about 8000 rounds through it in the first month. Wore out the first 500 in about two months. And btw, Now have a 500 by Magnum Reasearch that's holding up great. A few loose screws at first and one front sight, but the thing is actaully built like it should be. Great gun!

Member Array Intentional Flincher's Avatar
    The local range owner thought it would be funny to sneak into the cubby next to me and pop off 3 rounds from that bad boy. I was impressed, especially by the way it lit up the range as he fired it. BTW there's a no .500 or .454 cassul rule at that range...no fair!
    A witty saying proves nothing.

Voltaire

We have a few of these guns at the Store.. One in a front case. When Customers see em, they ask "why would you want to carry this small thing, as you can't get the velocity you really need to get to perform".. I kinda agree too.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links