Lasermax-XD-45 with photos

This is a discussion on Lasermax-XD-45 with photos within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I got a new Lasermax site for my SA XD-45 Service. It was so easy to install. Just replace the spring assembly with the laser ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lasermax-XD-45 with photos

Lasermax-XD-45 with photos

I got a new Lasermax site for my SA XD-45 Service. It was so easy to install. Just replace the spring assembly with the laser and replace the take down lever with the one they provide.

Shooting it was a blast, but a little tricky to get used to. I found the trick to be not to try and sight with the laser, but to use it to augment the steel sights.

I shot at the 7 yard line to test it. My first group was kinda loose in a 5 inch group. Pretty bad. I was chasing the red dot. Then I figured out that I should just aim as normal and the red dot would be where it should and just use it to confirm that I had good sight alignment and sight picture. I then was able to shoot a group so tight you could cover it with a quarter.

I should have saved the targets, but they got tossed.

I also have a M3, 90 lume light that mount on the bottom of the frame. The laser is very visible with it on in a dark room. But you should know that you can not see it in the daylight.

I really didn't need the laser, but I sold my Harley and wanted to get something to keep out of it.

Laser and slide - the laser simply replaces the spring assembly.

Modified take down lever. Notice the dot on the lever, it can be depressed from either side to turn the laser on. It has not came on by itself in the holster.

Laser on - it actually flashes like a strobe.

Laser on wall

Looking through the sights
    Semper Fi!

Engineers Up!

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    Looks sweet. I wondered about lasers on the XDs and I guess thats a way to go.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

great post I was looking at the same buy myself but for the life of me couldn't see how to turn those suckers on. Even on the official website they never say exactly how to activate the lazer. Again thanks I might have my own on the way soon, have to shake the piggy bank a lil first to make sure tho.
    "Fear is nothing more than an emotional response to the perception of danger coupled with the belief that I can't handle it."
    "If you change that belief to 'I can handle it', you'll no longer experience FEAR. You'll simply see what you are facing is a challenge... an opportunity to test yourself.

Where did you end up buying it? Was it a good price? I'm looking at one for my new xd.

Senior Moderator
    Looks like a good sight. Where did you get it?
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    Looks like a good sight. Where did you get it?
    KB Toys

As much as I dog lasers, the lasermax is the one to have if your going to buy into the whole laser thing.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I got it from lasermax.com for $399

I didnt want to mess with a third party, especially when it is a new product and lasermax was backed up on orders for the XD-45.
    Semper Fi!

Engineers Up!

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    I like the idea, but boy... it's the price that gets me.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

Thanks for this thread and the pix. Been considering, now I'm getting one. Just so long as I can can leave it turned off unless needed. As we used to say in the service about tracer rounds: 'lasers work both ways.'

45 ACP in a polymer pistol has got to generate a lot of shock to the electro-optics. Anyone know what kind of lifetime (mean time to failure) Lasermax predicts?

M2
    I got one of the first 12 LaserMax made for the XD45, after bugging Dan Claffey at LaserMax for several months prior to production. I love it, about the only downside is that the laser does get dirty after 50-100 rounds or so at the range, but cleaning it is a snap (a quick wipe with a soft cloth, or for a more thorough cleaning, a Q-tip and isopropyl/rubbing) alcohol.

Although LaserMax only offers a 3-year warranty, based on the solid design I don't see it coming apart; and as it is internal to the weapon, it is well-protected. Lasermax also rebuilds them for like $20 as they suggest replacing the spring every 6K rounds.

Just keep an eye out on battery life, about 90 minutes at the range. The battery pack is 4 tiny 319 (SR527SW) batteries, and you can get them cheap on eBay...

Cheers! M2

M2
    Oh, and here are some of my pics...

(Click on thumbnails for full-sized images)

And a short vid to give you an idea of what the laser looks like (although it is not in complete focus in this video, it is much clearer in real).

Cheers! M2

M2
    One last comment, the LaserMax is slightly smaller than the stock guide rod, as shown below (stock rod on top, LaserMax on bottom)...

I emailed LaserMax about this and here is the reply...

Thank you for your interest in LaserMax products. I would like to address your concerns about the difference between the factory recoil system and the LaserMax system. Our takedown lever is thicker than the factory so we have space for the switch pin. This reduced the space we had available for our recoil system. Also, the factory system sticks out of the end of the slide where our spring guide is flush with the slide. Those are the 2 reasons why our spring guide assembly is shorter than the factory system. Even though our assembly is shorter, our recoil springs were custom manufactured to provide the same recoil forces as the factory springs. We shot a significant number of rounds using the final design did not have any problems. I am not sure what looseness you are experiencing. The critical fit for laser alignment accuracy is the interface to the locking block. The stainless steel washer on your LaserMax between the tube flange and the smaller recoil spring should provide a reasonably tight fit (we need to allow for some variation). Please contact LaserMax if you have any performance issues.

Sincerely,
    Jeff Mock
    Director of Engineering
    LaserMax
    I gotta say, everyone I have dealt with at LaserMax has been friendly, helpful and quick to respond. Much like Springfield Armory, it is customer service like this that will bring my business back to the company, and I also feel I should let others know about my good experiences. It makes a difference...

Cheers! M2

Have one coming for my Sig P239 SAS....$339 from one click shooting...free shipping. I see the laser useful when you are in a position that you need to fire without sightin....like on your back.

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    Man,
    that sure does give me the "i wants". maybe santa will have some in stock by then. thanks for the great pics and vid. I own a set of CT grips for my 642, but this lasermax for the XD is ideal.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

Put one on my Sig P239 SAS for $339 at one click shooting...free shipping. Only downside that I see over CT that I have on a Colt Defender and a Kimber Tactical Ultra II is the on/off switch is difficult to switch on, unlike the CT which is on when you grip the gun.

I went with laser max on the Sig so as to keep the wood factory grips. If they were plan grips like the Colt, I like the CT better.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links