Left handed semi-auto for wife

This is a discussion on Left handed semi-auto for wife within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello guys, My wife has been scared of guns all her life but I took her shooting and this weeks events gave her the final ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Left handed semi-auto for wife

Hello guys,

My wife has been scared of guns all her life but I took her shooting and this weeks events gave her the final push to consider getting her own pistol to carry. She's a lefty and was wondering what you guys recommended. I have a SC XD, and love it but I dont think I can get it "reversed". Any suggestions? I think she wants a 9mm.

Have her try an HK P2000sk.

Lead Moderator
    As a LH shooter I use the trigger finger to release the slide. Also use LH or ambi safeties. Other than that , almost any gun she pics should work. I know the XD series has the slide release too far back to easily hit with the finger. If you train to slingshot the slide, then no worries.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

pmt
    H&K - P7PSP, P7M8, P7M13
    No need to worry about slide release or safeties. So simple, even us lefties can use 'em.
    USP9 CUSTOM SPORT (X2)
    HK34FTCB
    P7PSP
    Left handed compliment:
    "...if one is going to carry an underpowered pistol he should carry the neatest and handiest one available, and that is the Heckler & Koch P7."- Col. Jeff Cooper

Would teaching her to shot right handed be an option?

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    While the floor may open up and send me straight to hell for mentioning this but the Tokarev in 9mm (if you can find one) is pretty left handed friendly. It is however a bit on the big side so may not work out. I own one (left handed as well) and found it to be a great gun for shooting left handed. The mag release was easy to reach as was the safety (mainly because of the A$$ backwards design that most righthanded people hate)

While they do have their drawbacks (hard to find, most only feed fmj) they are nice shooters and may be worth a try especially for the low price you can find them at now.

Probally best bet is to do the whole let her shoot her heart out thing at a local rental range (if possible) that is what I am having to do with my wife. (she seems to really like the revolvers because of their simplicity, but before I had her try one she had only fired autos and the like) Point being she may surprise you on what she would end up preferring to carry after trying various options. Who knows she may end up "LOVING" a nice 500 S&W snubnose

Would not recomend trying to teach her to shoot right handed, harder than it seems. She seems to be just getting used to firearms so the added frustration may be counter-productive.
    Last edited by Shadowsbane; April 19th, 2007 at 12:35 AM.
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ipac View Post
    Would teaching her to shot right handed be an option?
    Heresy!!!

I'm surprised she doesn't already like the XD though, since it has an ambidextrous mag release as it is.

Not too many pure leftie pistols out there (especially that are reasonable). I think most of us just learn to manage the slide stop with the trigger finger or slingshot it. If you can't get a reversed mag release then you use either your trigger or middle finger to hit it. It comes pretty easy with practice.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Have her check out a Ruger P95. I'm left handed and it works perfect for me.

My wife is right handed but she can handle this gun.

She liked mine so much we had to get her one so she wouldn't take mine away.
    Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway.

John Wayne

charter arms has a new leftie snub nose. I'm a lefty and shoot a 357 snubbie and a 1911 9mm. The only trouble with my 9mm is the mag release but I compensate with a 15 round mag so hopefully I won't need to reload.

If she can handle a .45 you might be able to find an old Randal Portsider. It is a mirror image of a full size 1911. Not the most concealable or easiest to find, but it is about as left hand friendly as you can get.

Rocky +1.

Any DAO is very LH friendly. DA/SA are fine if you don't use the safety. Use the trigger or middle finger for mag release. The Feds teach slingshot at FLETC because it can be used with any auto.

The S&W M&P pistols can be completely set up for right and left handed shooters. They are also very nice.

Ron

Shine on...
    S&W M&P 9c
    S&W 9 Shield
    Taurus Raging Bull .454 Casull
    S&W M&P15 Sport;
    Mossberg 590A1

I'd also look at the Sig with a DAK trigger; as a lefty, I love it. I use my index finger to release the mag and slingshot from slide lock.

The other benefit of not changing the mag catch to the right side, is that any handgun she picks up will operate the same way, at least when it comes to mag changes. Same goes for the slide catch lever and slingshot vs. pressing of the SCL.

(I like the M&P too)

Thanks guys,

She does like the XD, but she just hasent done any reloading w/ it having 2 of the same would be great as far as magazine purchases go. I just wish they made the compact in 9mm.

My first thought was the revolver or S&W MP, Im just gonna end up getting a small revolver for myself one day.

The Xd is one of the best for a lefty ya either sling shoot the slide or use trigger finger to release slide like i do

Im a lefty and for my taste there is nothing better than the 1911 but the XD , Glock , HK are also fine choices for a lefty

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links