Optical Sight on your CC? - Page 2

Optical Sight on your CC?

This is a discussion on Optical Sight on your CC? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by rocky ?? I beg to differ. point of aim/ impact set to 15 yrds on my .22 pistol is not dead on ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    ?? I beg to differ. point of aim/ impact set to 15 yrds on my .22 pistol is not dead on at closer distances. I can shoot tighter at different distances with irons than a dot sight. Alot may depend on the height of optic over the sights though.
    Yes dots are easier to acquire that irons.
    And they differ from irons in what way, with respect to POI/POA? None. If you "zero" your irons at 25 yds, you will still have the overage/underage if your target is closer or farther. That's a function of HG ballistics- the ballistic arc.

Armycop, if you're interested, and have a Glock, PM me. I have an old-model Optima and Glock base I bought as spares, that I would be willing to loan out.

For those not familiar, here's a link:
    http://www.eabco.com/jpoint01.html

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    I have a S&W M&P .40 - Thanks anyways....

Quote Originally Posted by Rob72 View Post
    And they differ from irons in what way, with respect to POI/POA? None. If you "zero" your irons at 25 yds, you will still have the overage/underage if your target is closer or farther. That's a function of HG ballistics- the ballistic arc.

Armycop, if you're interested, and have a Glock, PM me. I have an old-model Optima and Glock base I bought as spares, that I would be willing to loan out.

For those not familiar, here's a link:
    http://www.eabco.com/jpoint01.html
    For God, Family and Country!

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by A1C Lickey View Post
    Okay, I don't think I've ever heard of JPoints before, could someone please elaborate?
    J-Point is one optical sight available for rifles and sometimes a handgun.

Here's one of them: http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/sto...+OPTICS+SIGHTS
    For God, Family and Country!

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    I guess the J-point type sights are pretty much like any red dot or scope. You "dial" them in at a preknown distance and after that do personal adjustments.

Through the year I used mine on my G-19 I never had an issue with the dot not being true to point of aim at 7 yards which is where I zero'd it to, and I knew the balistics of where I needed to elevate or lower the dot.

Same with the ones we mounted on MP5's and same with the other reddot aiming devices used commonly throught out the military and law enforcement (and IPSC for that matter).

For me they worked, but it wasnt something I wanted or would use all the time on an handgun.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

Quote Originally Posted by notromt View Post
    I think I need an explanation of J-pointing too...

What about the laser grips, would those count as optics? I've never used them, but think that they would help with accuracy. I plan on getting a J-frame and putting the laser grips on them.
    I'm curious about others' experience with the laser grips as well. I was planning on a Kimber with the laser grips.

Quote Originally Posted by jpdeuce View Post
    I'm curious about others' experience with the laser grips as well. I was planning on a Kimber with the laser grips.
    I'll let you know after my first range session. I can say that I can see good and bad with the Lasergrips. Absolutely no guessing whether you are on target, but I catch myself looking over the night sights to see the laser, I could see where bad habits could develop.
    Kimber Ultra Carry - CT Lasergrips
    Glock 19, 21SF, 29
    KelTec P3AT
    Built M4 Carbine - My Evil Black Rifle

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    I put a pair of CTC Laser Grips on my issued Sig P229 and a pair on my S&W J-frame about two years ago. The ones on my j-frame are still there but the ones on my issued Sig didnt last to long and ended up on eBay.

In the j-frame the sights are small and its primarily a back up gun which means when its needed it typically will be when my main gun goes down and I need it rappidly and the laser grips work well.

On my duty weapon, I personally found that my times were slower as I found myself looking for the dot instead of getting on the front sight and doing what I normally did. However, for some and I might in the future, the laser dot will be a great assistance. Larry Vickers, someone who has earned the right to his opinions, swears by them. In low light they are easy to pick up but in bright light I found them disappearing in the sunlight. During simunition training I found the laser grips handy with shots where aligning the sights was difficult.

My biggest complaint was the activitation on the grips (old model) that came on while the weapon was concealed and created a dot on my clothes. The new models dont appear to have that problem. When I spoke to CTC about it, they didnt seem to care at the time but a year later the new model came out. Guess enough folks complained.

They might work well for you (they do for my wife who dosent shoot much), but for me, I'll stick with my sights.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links