Optical Sight on your CC?

This is a discussion on Optical Sight on your CC? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anyone here have a red dot or other optical sight on your concealed carry weapon?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Optical Sight on your CC?

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar

Anyone here have a red dot or other optical sight on your concealed carry weapon?
    For God, Family and Country!

Administrator
    Why would you want to? It seems that it would make it a PIA to carry for very little benefit.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Member Array blueyedevil's Avatar
    About the only one small enough to lend itself at all to carry would be the J-point. And then you have to find a leatherman that can make a holster for you, check your batteries all the time. Not to mention the snag hazard. IMO optical sights aren't very suited to CC.

Senior Moderator
    I really don't see a need for one on my carry weapons. With the exception of low light when I don't want to use a flashlight.
    Last edited by pgrass101; April 19th, 2007 at 05:43 PM.
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Why would you want to? It seems that it would make it a PIA to carry for very little benefit.
    Heck, I come up with all kinds of thoughts about guns that never amount to anything. Just wondering about this - if anyone has done it and if they like it or not. Mostly a curiosity - something I'd like to see on someone else's CC first just to help think out if I'd ever want to seriously considering it myself...

Excuse my ignorance but what's a PIA?
    For God, Family and Country!

VIP Member
    NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    If you had to have a sighting system other then the iron sites or Ghost Rings. Crimson trace is probably the best option. Any shot you need to take with a pistol and requires you to shoot with a optic (other than competition) you brought a Handgun to a Rifle fight and your AR/AK/FAL is in the wrong place....I.E. Not in your hand.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Administrator
    PIA= Pain in the backside...

I have had red dots and such mounted on "game guns" for steel matches, bowling pins etc., but I think it would make a carry gun far to akward for carry.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    I put a J-point on a Glock 19 and used it that way for a year on duty as a test for my agency. It actually worked real well. When the test was over, and went back to my 1911 and put the J-point on my Rem 870 and used it for another year on my tac team. During the test, I spoke with a department that put them on each of their handguns, shotguns and rifles and their accuracy increased dramatically both in training and on the street.

There not actually that big, but it takes some getting use to. Wouldnt do it now, but wouldnt blame someone (specially someone who dosent train alot) for doing it.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

Quote Originally Posted by fed_wif_a_sig View Post
    I put a J-point on a Glock 19 and used it that way for a year on duty as a test for my agency. It actually worked real well. When the test was over, and went back to my 1911 and put the J-point on my Rem 870 and used it for another year on my tac team. During the test, I spoke with a department that put them on each of their handguns, shotguns and rifles and their accuracy increased dramatically both in training and on the street.

There not actually that big, but it takes some getting use to. Wouldnt do it now, but wouldnt blame someone (specially someone who dosent train alot) for doing it.
    +1. I have one on a 19. Pretty much any Bladetech holster clears it. I would only see an issue with a retention or hooded holster. Good investment.

Lead Moderator
    Besides the bulk, the dot or aiming point is zero'ed in to one specific distance. Any closer or farther will throw point of aim off. I have a dot on my .22 pistol for target , but thats it.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    There is no difference in aiming point zero'ing (my English teachers are spinning in their graves right now!) for any optics vs any iron sights.

The JPoints really don't have that much more "bulk" than a target sight.

They are SO much easier to shoot with aging eyes and focusing on the target that I intend to have them on all my HD weapons.

Okay, I don't think I've ever heard of JPoints before, could someone please elaborate?
    TSgt. Lickey

It takes a college degree to break'em;
    and a high school education to fix'em!

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by AutoFan View Post
    There is no difference in aiming point zero'ing (my English teachers are spinning in their graves right now!) for any optics vs any iron sights.

The JPoints really don't have that much more "bulk" than a target sight.

They are SO much easier to shoot with aging eyes and focusing on the target that I intend to have them on all my HD weapons.
    ?? I beg to differ. point of aim/ impact set to 15 yrds on my .22 pistol is not dead on at closer distances. I can shoot tighter at different distances with irons than a dot sight. Alot may depend on the height of optic over the sights though.
    Yes dots are easier to acquire that irons.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by AutoFan View Post
    I think the difference is that the optical sight is mounted much further above the barrel than the iron sight. If you want the bullet to impact on the dot at 15 yards, the optical sight actually has to be aimed down slightly (relative to the path of the bullet) so that the two intersect at the correct distance. If the target is closer than that distance, the bullet will impact below the dot. If the target is further away, it will impact above the dot. This means if you're shooting at closer ranges, you have to hold over a couple of inches.

This problem isn't exclusive to optical sights, it affects rifles with tall iron sights (such as AKs and ARs) as well. However, you hardly ever see it where pistols are concerned because the iron sights are so close to the barrel.

I think I need an explanation of J-pointing too...

What about the laser grips, would those count as optics? I've never used them, but think that they would help with accuracy. I plan on getting a J-frame and putting the laser grips on them.
    "Common sense is buried right next to personal responsibility in the social graveyard." - Andrew Wilkow

"A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon." - Napoleon Bonaparte
    "Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily." - Napoleon Bonaparte

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links