How do you go about finding the perfect CCW gun for you? - Page 2

How do you go about finding the perfect CCW gun for you?

This is a discussion on How do you go about finding the perfect CCW gun for you? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The perfect gun? good luck with that one. There always seems to be something better to want to try. My last purchase is now about ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do you go about finding the perfect CCW gun for you?

The perfect gun? good luck with that one. There always seems to be something better to want to try. My last purchase is now about 4 months old. While putting it in the safe last night (children at home) I thought to myself for a split second. I really can't think of another gun that I want right now except for the AR. A split second later I laughed to myself and thought that should probally change within six months!

Wisdom in this post

Quote Originally Posted by jercamp45 View Post
    The smaller you go, the less you get...accuracy, power, controlability, and in many cases, reliability.
    I decided I wanted a handgun that has a better chance of stopping that as yet unmet gent that wants to carve me up, bash in my skull, or other wise harm me or my loved ones.....stop him as fast as possible. So I altered my dress code abit, bought a good belt and holster and 'cowboyed up' and carry what I think will work best in a bad situation, not what I thought I could hide in my pocket.
    I like the thinking here. Rather than tending towards the smallest, lightest, minor caliber gun because it will hide in our pocket, maybe we should be visualizing what we want in our hand when the event above happens. If there is a 230 pound ex con with a big knife coming at you from 10 feet away, you may only have one shot to try and stop him before he is on you. Do you want that shot to be a .38 from a J frame or a .45 ACP from a 1911? I know which I will choose.

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    If you've tried the Glocks and you seem to shoot the Glock format well then go for it.
    Trust your gut.
    The only other thing I can think of would be for you to hang out at the range a bit more and politely ask other shooters if you can try out some different pistol makes and styles.
    Many other shooters would be happy to allow you to "test shoot" or evaluate their various handguns.
    In your particular case, this might be the best way to go. I think most of us have been where you are now. Actually, for most of us it's probably a constant state of condition.

When you go to the range, maybe see if people want to swap guns to try out. If you shoot the Glock better, by all means get one. Keep in mind though, the Glocks & XDs are both fairly thick.

It's all about priorities. You want something that's powerful, small, light, fits your hand, low recoil, accurate for you, easy to CC, etc.

There are no easy answers. For many of us, a range gun/home defense gun, might be a different gun than our EDC. Larger guns are usually easier to shoot with & more accurate. Depending of course, if it fits your hands. They soak up recoil better, longer barrels, & usually have a longer site radius.

But a smaller gun, makes it easier to conceal. I'm sure you've also heard the term, "carried alot, shot little." That might be a way to go & keep the larger gun.

You also made a good point about ammo costs. I bought a .45 NIB from someone, because ammo was "expensive." Fortunately, I don't have to worry about ammo, but most do. 9mm's definitely less expensive.

Well, good luck.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

The perfect CCW gun is a G-26 OWB in jacket weather and a snubby for summer/pocket carry. This is after years and dollars gone by. I always come back to those two.

yes it is hard to find that gun that is just right. just remember you want a gun that you will carry, not leave in the car or back home. sometimes smaller is better, a smaller gun will be carried when bigger guns are at home or in the car.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

It was real warm today here in the burg and I wore my SIG P220 in an OWB Galco holster. Just covered it with a football jersey. No one knew I was carrying.
    "Success is not Final, Failure is not Fatal, it is the Courage to Continue that Counts"
    Sir Winston Churchill

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links