Charter Arms Bulldog .44 Special - seeking comments

This is a discussion on Charter Arms Bulldog .44 Special - seeking comments within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I initially blew this gun off because of bad rumors I've heard about Charter Arms. But I just read reviews (gunblast.com and sightm1911.com) and they ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Charter Arms Bulldog .44 Special - seeking comments

I initially blew this gun off because of bad rumors I've heard about Charter Arms. But I just read reviews (gunblast.com and sightm1911.com) and they are positive regarding the felt recoil and gun accuracy.

Can anyone here attest to this guns quality? It would be a GREAT piece for me from a personal standpoint and quite frankly a real powerhouse in the caliber dept.!
    sanfordreed likes this.

New Member Array T&A Gunsmithing's Avatar
    Nothing bad to say about the charter revolvers really. Just had to re-barrel one. Quality may not be as high as some others in my opinion but the guns work pretty good. One good feature found only in the Charters and the Pythons (that I am aware of), is that the cylinder is under a bind at the moment of firing. Very good for accuracy. Hope this helps.

if a used one check the timing the few i have seen that were shot a bit were slightly out of time

not bad guns. if used do the normal checks. if new, shoot it up. i am looking for one of their new left hand gun for the wife. she is a wheel gun girl (s&w model 36) and a lefty.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Cool! These are some very positive comments - I was expecting to get a lot of posts about the guns being crappy.

** homer voice ** .44 Special....ahhhhh....forbidden caliber! :)

Knew a courier many years ago that swore by his!
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    I have an old one from the 70's best $200 I 've spent.I'ts in 44spl and
    it weighs 21 oz unloaded.With target loads fun to shoot.With personal
    protection ammo it bites a bit.A fun revolver.I know company changed hand several times through the years and the company that
    makes high point fire arms now owns Charter Arms.

I have an old one with a 2" barrel. Although it feels a bit "rattly" it is dead on accurate and dependable. I keep toying with sending it back in for a refurb job.

44 Charter

One was my car gun for quite a while. Had to relieve the wood grips for a speedloader to fit, but that was an afternoon's project. Shoots good with Federal LSWCHP, and have a bunch of Mag Safe in it. To be honest, probably just as good off with LFP cowboy loads if you have no Mag Safe or Glaser aorund, the LSWCHP doesn't expand much. Saw one blued .38 (off duty? undercover?) that was old and well out of time. No others that I remember.

I'd rather carry the .44 Special than any .38/.357 snubbie ever made!
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I carryed one for a backup/off duty for a fiew years when dept policy limited me to revolvers , It was a fine pistol , but not too durable at about 1k rounds it had pretty much shot loose and was shaveing lead . If its going to be a carry a lot and shoot occationaly , using another practice gun go for it , but imho it wont stand up to a lot of rounds .
    sanfordreed likes this.
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

I own 3 and had two recently serviced at Charter,(not owned by stated company,they are distributors). One I've had f/years and needed a tune up,another I bought cheap knowing it needed work. The grand total to service my old snub,$34.95 including return shipping and a brand new plastic hard case. The 3" cost a whole $17 extra for a new hand and timing adjustment.Turn around time was about one month.
    I bought all 3 used and the most expensive was the snub @ $230 at a gun show,the others (both 3") were $140/180 on the net.
    Great guns f/home and carry.
    FWIW : If they suck so bad then why do you suppose it is so hard to find an older 1st gen model under $300 ? Is this a collectors thing or are they just that good ? You would think that they would be more readily available if they had no use or value. Maybe all the detractors just have to spend to equivalent of 3 of mine for one of the others.
    sanfordreed likes this.

FWIW : If they suck so bad then why do you suppose it is so hard to find an older 1st gen model under $300 ?
    Most of em have been melted down in a gun buy back program.

nuthin wrong with the CA 44..........the same size as a Colt Detective Spl revolver....I prefer the Pug, .......I have a blued PUG in 44Spl.......great carry gun.........with the 200gr Hps........plenty of stopping power..
    sanfordreed likes this.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

I bought one about 3 Yrs ago,? In the Black finish & have it loaded with Hornady Factory XTP ammo for EDC. I use either a Fobus Paddle holster or a Galco light Shoulder holster for the cooler weather Days.? This has become my,? Never leave Home without Gun.& I love it for SD.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links