Defensive Carry banner

Classic Colt Commander Goodness!

1K views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  denverd0n 
#1 ·
Did I score the big one today? Oh you better believe it! A quick trip downtown to run some mundane errands warranted a stop at Gander Mountain to check out the used selection as usual and what should I see but a Lightweight Commander in very nice condition for $720.00. I tried to resist but then realized that even if I do need money in the near future I can always just sell this gun for as much or more than I paid. That tax return lasted all of 12 hours. :shrug:

I know the guys that work there pretty well so they took another $20 off and I took it home for less than $750 tax and all. I went straight home, tore it down, lubed it up, dropped in a new recoil spring, put some paint on the front sight and headed for the range. The more I handled it the more I knew this was a good deal. The bushing fits nice and snug and the bluing is damn near perfect. The alloy frame has a few wear marks and an idiot scratch but nothing horrible. The interior is in very nice shape, I don't think this was fired much. The manager (who I know to be a decent, honest guy) told me this was likely manufactured in 1962. Boy did they know how to put a pistol together back then. The trigger is very smooth and light, much better than most factory 1911 triggers today.

Once I got the range I loaded up some hardball and started blasting. First impression: OUCH! Second impression: OUCH!!!! One thing that has improved in the last 45 years; the smoothness of thumb safeties. This one has a big sharp ridge along the back edge. My steel framed Commander has a nicely smoothed out thumb safety. It doesn't have that pretty blue finish, but it doesn't cut the crap out of my hand either. Accuracy, however, was good. I seemed to be hitting high and left. The high part was me getting used to the sights. The left part was me flinching from pain. Today I discovered hammer bite. Hammer bite hurts. So it's not perfect; we have a few issues to work out. That's OK, comfort issues are easy to address. It appears that accuracy and reliability are not going to be issues at all, and for that I'm :image035:. This pistol fired 107 rounds of hardball and then 22 rounds of Winchester hollowpoints without a hiccup. Just bang bang bang. Once I address the comfort issues and get used the new sights I think this will be a very very fine carry pistol.

Here's a scan of the first group I fired. The first round was closest to the bullseye, then the flinch started to kick in with the pain. Still, it's center-of-bad-guy accurate and I'll take it.

Oh yeah, here's a shot of the aftermath of my range session. It seems we're blood brothers now. :biggrin2:

See less See more
#5 ·
On a 1911 without a beavertail you might want to grip it just a hair lower. It won't take much but it will cure that hammer bite. That's why beavertails have become so popular!

#6 ·
Congrats.:banana:

Fiscal irresponcibility and justifying the purchase is exactly how I got my Commander two weeks ago. When it comes to 45's I can talk myself into anything.:image035:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.