First Carry Weapon - Ideas Please - Page 2

First Carry Weapon - Ideas Please

This is a discussion on First Carry Weapon - Ideas Please within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by broknindarkagain The reason why I said Glocks are out of the question in my first post is because I have shot several ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: First Carry Weapon - Ideas Please

Senior Member Array Smith&Wessonfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by broknindarkagain View Post
    The reason why I said Glocks are out of the question in my first post is because I have shot several of them...To be honest with you they are by far the most uncomfortable pistols I have ever fired, and I'm much more accurate with other pistols..
    Try the Smith & Wesson Military & Police series. They are by far some of the most ergonomic handguns ever designed.

Superior, to my hand, over Glock, Springfield, SIG, Ruger, Taurus, CZs, and the earlier metal-framed S&Ws.

The only one that comes close (for me) is the Walther P99/S&W99.

ETA: I agree with BikerRN in that you should not rule out revolvers. Wheelguns are my favorite handguns and a S&W Model 637 rides at my 4 o'clock almost everywhere I go.

Quote Originally Posted by Shizzlemah
    Nobody has mentioned the "thin" sig, the P239.

Single stack (357/40/9) about a 3.75" barrel, compact pistol and conceals easily. Check them out!
    I really like that Sig P239, I think I'm going to go see if I can find one sometime this week...hopefully I can catch someone at the range with one so I can fire it.

I'm not ruling out revolvers, my only issue with them is that they tent to be a bit bulkier then a semi auto and they are a pain to load/unload compared to a semi auto. I've looked at a few revolvers and if I decide to go with a revolver, it will probably be this one
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Smith & Wesson M&P9c

Try a Glock-36...

Thanks for the ideas guys.

The reason why I said Glocks are out of the question in my first post is because I have shot several of them...To be honest with you they are by far the most uncomfortable pistols I have ever fired, and I'm much more accurate with other pistols.

I have always liked .45s, but I don't know how the recoil will be on a smaller framed weapon...the last thing I want is to not be able to have follow up shots if needed.
    It as comfortable as my Kimber Ultra...both in .45...

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

If I don't have to remove my gun and holster during the course of the day I feel safest with my H&K USP Compact .45 loaded with Federal 165gr EFMJ's in a Milt Sparks VersaMax II IWB. This pistol WILL fire everytime you pull the trigger. Unfortunately my job involves entering Courthouses every day with search stations. Last month I bought a Kahr MK9 stainless pocket pistol. I was surprised when I ran 300 rounds through it to break it in without one FTL or FTE. I carry it in a cheap DeSantis pocket holster loaded with Speer 124gr "Short Barrel" Gold-Dot 9mm +p Hollowpoints. Both these pistols are more expensive than their competitors in their respective classes but I've decided they are well worth the money. A cheaper alternative is my Smith Model 60 .357MAG wheelgun with a 3-inch barrel carried in a UBG IWB loaded with 130gr Federal Hydra-Shoks.
    Last edited by LegalMonkey; April 21st, 2007 at 05:09 PM.

Senior Member Array Smith&Wessonfan's Avatar
    my only issue with them is that they tent to be a bit bulkier then a semi auto and they are a pain to load/unload compared to a semi auto.[/URL]
    Well, revolvers may seem bulkier because of the cylinder. But I guarantee that impression will change when you strap one on in a good holster. The curved contours of the revolver make it a very comfortable gun to wear and IMO much easier to hide than a blocky, squarish semi auto.

I went round and round my favortie gun store trying every concealable pistol I could find. And they have a GOOD inventory. The only ones they don't sell are CZs, and I tried a 2075 RAMI at another store. In the end, the S&W Model 637 won out over all others for two basic reasons: it pointed more naturally than anything else and it was the most comfortable and easiest to conceal.

Loading and unloading revolvers just takes a little more practice than semi autos.

Hows about a nice compact .45 from Smith & Wesson?

http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore...S_SW104808.jpg

Holds 7+1, accurate, and single stack, so it's flatter than the double stacks. Smith & Wesson 4013 and 3913 are basically the same design, scaled down for their respective calibers. (.40 and 9mm) I have a 4053 (Same as a 4013, only DAO), and it conceals REALLY well, due to being single stack and flat.
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

Thanks for the recommendations guys. Sometime this week I'll go down to the gun shop and check everything out. There are quite a few decent shops around here with a decent selection, so I'm sure I'll be able to find just about anything that has been mentioned.
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Smith & Wesson M&P9c

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    I'm partial to Sig Sauer myself. My current CCW is a German Polezei turn-in P225. You can find them for about $400 and most have been carried alot but not shot much.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Thumbs up

I have read your posts guys,and notice that none of you have mension small frame revolvers,like S&W 60 or Ruger SP 101.
    I know that pistols are "in" and revolvers "out" but,I do think if man is well educated,choose reliable ammo and practise realisticaly,he would be well protected,in some normal Self Defense situation.
    I m not talking about Police oficer off duty but a normal citizen.
    For example,S&W 60 357 with 125grs JHP Golden Saber,summer lite rig,and realistic and often practise,from technical stand would be O.K.
    Psihical readines to shoot someone is probably the No.1 problem if you never had expiriance of that kind.
    This problem can ocure even if you carry a M-60 ,not only a pistol of any kind.
    Decisive and regular practise is main + to survive,not only the weapon.

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    My first carry gus was a Ruger Speed Six. Nice gun, but now that I cary the P225 I know how much more uncomfortable and difficult a revolver can be.... and true pocket-size snubbies are really difficult for a new shooter to become proficient with, and require extra discipline not to play with in the pocket or put other things like keys in the pocket.

If someone is looking for a nightstand gun or truck gun I recommend a 4" .357 revolver. For a new CCW I suggest a safety-less pistol like the Sigs or some others. When someone gets some experience and starts to know what they like and what works for them, and is used to the idea of having a gun on themselves, THEN perhaps a pocket snubbie.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

IMHO it's hard to beat the old reliable 1911. Lots of power, sweet shooting, superb trigger, good looks and easy to conceal. The lightweight ones carry so well that you forget they are there - 'til you need it or take it off.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

Don't rule out the 2 1/2 and 4 inch K or L frame older S&W 357 Magnum guns...........rather modestly priced and plentiful... They may be a bit larger, but as it's been mentioned by another Forumite earlier...........CCW is an Art.........you can conciel almost anything with the right gear and holsters.. A J fram 5 shot S&W.. Ruger SP101 in 357 mag, M&P 9 or 40, and of course the Glocks, Springers, and tons of other stuff is readily available...........
    Thruth is..........fondle MANY before you buy,,, and BUY what feels BEST in your hands and budget.. and what YOU feel SAFEST with.
    let us know how your progress is going, as this Forum is packed with many knowlegable people, who can help guide you in the right direction.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Administrator

Some Good Choices Up There

Of course I would say shop around for a nice Colt Lightweight Commander as being dang near ideal for Every Day Carry.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Check out the Springfiled XD line ( they make a subcompact model ), the S&W MP series, also have a compact model. I've got a Kahr K40, great gun & easy to conceal, I'm a bit skeptical of the PM series as there have been many complaints about the Kahr poly framed guns, especially in the larger calibers , no problems I recall with their all steel models. Try them all and see how they fit, feel and balance in YOUR hand.You can also check out the various 1911's offered by many makers. LOTS of choices !!

Thumper made a good point. I wish I had done that when I decided to get my CHL.

Go with you like, what feels good in your hand, and you are comfortable shooting. If your local range has a decent selection of rentals then you can test different guns out and see what you like.
    Best,
    JP
    D/FW, TX

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links