Defensive Carry banner

First Carry Weapon - Ideas Please

9K views 40 replies 32 participants last post by  incredipete 
#1 · (Edited)
Alright, I'll keep it short and too the point.

I just turned 21 about a month and a half ago.

I'm looking for a good concealed carry weapon and Glocks are out of the question...I don't like the feel of them.

Any suggestions on a weapon either in 9mm, .40, or .45 semi auto would be great.

It would be nice if I still lived in Arizona where its open carry...but Texas isn't as gun friendly...

Thanks a lot

edit : This info may come in handy according to what a few people have said so far. I'm a pretty small guy, 6'2 135lbs...I have shot plenty of pistols and know how to use them safely...I have just not carried concealed or handled very many 'concealable' weapons.

#2 ·
Springfield XD Maybe. They feel a LOT different than a glock in the hand and IMO they are very reliable, decently light and accurate. I have an XD-40 subcompact. Hard to find in some areas but I love mine. I've never had a hiccup with any sort of ammo. I carry speer gold dot and shoot WWB for practice.

I also really like the look and size of the Kahr PM40 but have never shot one, only held one in the store. I can't say how reliable they are since I have no experience.

#13 ·
Springfield XD Maybe. They feel a LOT different than a glock in the hand and IMO they are very reliable, decently light and accurate. I have an XD-40 subcompact. Hard to find in some areas but I love mine. I've never had a hiccup with any sort of ammo. I carry speer gold dot and shoot WWB for practice.
Ditto, I like mine too, or a 1911 they are hard to beat. Slimmer then the XD and a better balanced weapon, I have also started to get used to a Hi Power. Lots of options hit the gun stores and fondle the lot. Lucky you are in Texas you have lots of choices and opportunities.:confused:

#4 ·
richardoldfield said:
Go to gun stores/ranges and handle a lot of handguns, Then rent and shoot the ones that feel best in your hand. Lastly, buy the weapon that you shoot best.
There is only one range in town that rents out guns. Over half of what they have are Glocks...The rest of them are full size framed and not really a weapon that you can conceal.

darkvibe said:

I also really like the look and size of the Kahr PM40 but have never shot one, only held one in the store. I can't say how reliable they are since I have no experience.
I've heard a few things about the Kahr P40, but not the PM40. I haven't seen either one in person...but the P40 has come up from a couple of people and is a possibility.

As for the XD, this is one of the biggest ones I've looked into. I've seen a few here and there, but I haven't had the chance to hold or shoot one. It does look like a decent weapon and from what I have heard/read on it, its very reliable. I read an article awhile back about a torture test that they did on it. Sand, mud, ice, etc and it still didn't miss a beat.

A friend of mine has a Ruger P345...I've shot it on several ocasions and loved how it shot...The only problem is that its a little too big for concealment. Is there anything similar to the P345 but in a smaller size?

#5 ·
Go to the range and shoot what you can in 9mm, .40 & .45 to settle on a caliber you enjoy shooting.

Then at least go handle guns in the size you like that are available in the caliber you choose.

The decission has to be yours. If at the range you see someone's gun you would like to try, ask them if you can fire a few rounds.
(I'd replace the ammo if you can before you leave in thanks)

Don't be in too big of a hurry, take your time and at least try shooting a Glock, you might be surprised! :hand10:

#7 ·
Don't be so quick to disregard some of the weapons that you are naming off and calling too big to conceal. You might be surprised just how many of us conceal carry those "big" guns, and we do so for many legitimate reasons.

Concealment is almost an art, and a willingness to spend the time and money on the proper gear to conceal on us.

#8 ·
Thanks for the ideas guys.

Thumper said:
Don't be in too big of a hurry, take your time and at least try shooting a Glock, you might be surprised!
The reason why I said Glocks are out of the question in my first post is because I have shot several of them...To be honest with you they are by far the most uncomfortable pistols I have ever fired, and I'm much more accurate with other pistols.

Thumper said:
Go to the range and shoot what you can in 9mm, .40 & .45 to settle on a caliber you enjoy shooting.
I have always liked .45s, but I don't know how the recoil will be on a smaller framed weapon...the last thing I want is to not be able to have follow up shots if needed.

#16 ·
The reason why I said Glocks are out of the question in my first post is because I have shot several of them...To be honest with you they are by far the most uncomfortable pistols I have ever fired, and I'm much more accurate with other pistols..
Try the Smith & Wesson Military & Police series. They are by far some of the most ergonomic handguns ever designed.

Superior, to my hand, over Glock, Springfield, SIG, Ruger, Taurus, CZs, and the earlier metal-framed S&Ws.

The only one that comes close (for me) is the Walther P99/S&W99.

ETA: I agree with BikerRN in that you should not rule out revolvers. Wheelguns are my favorite handguns and a S&W Model 637 rides at my 4 o'clock almost everywhere I go.

#9 ·
You would be surprised at how easy it is to conceal a 'big' weapon like the 1911 or XD. I'm not a big guy and have no trouble at all concealing a Colt Commander. They key is using the right holster and belt, in my case a GAry Brommeland Max Con V and a Wilderness five stitch belt. The new Springfield XD Compact .45s are some of the best deals going IMO. They offer a shorter grip than a full size pistol with a full length barrel. With a good IWB holster you should be able to conceal one easily.

#10 ·
Since you haven't listed any expirience level it is hard to make a recommendation.

As far as hard to conceal, I carry an N-Frame 4" Revolver 24/7 and a J-Frame Snubbie. Yes, I'm "Old School" but I can afford to be. I'm also an LEO that carries an autoloader on duty. I just prefer the Wheelguns.

Take a look at Revolvers if you don't have much experience. In my opinion, Revolvers can and will teach you how to shoot. When you get good with a Wheelgun you will really appreciate what an autoloader can do.

Who knows, you may decide "Retro" is where it's at. :smoke23:

Biker :tumbleweed:

#11 ·
With the right gear you might be very surprised what you can conceal. Even here in the heat of central Fl I can still carry my .45's (Commander and Micro) backed 4- by a J Frame .38 or at times just the .38.

Research really good holsters and belts while doing your search.

You might want to consider a first gun like a Ruger SP101. Can handle a very wide range of rounds from low powered .38 target rounds to full house .357. It will make you concentrate on good shooting skills. As your skills grow you might decide on something else but I bet you'd hang on to that one as the collection grows. I know I would!

#12 ·
Maybe a compact .40 with polymer frame?

From what I've been able to learn from your postings, you are interested in a compact and concealable CCW semiautomatic, and are pretty open on caliber. You haven't mentioned a price constraint, and I believe you are open to polymer frames but don't like the grip feel of Glocks.

I think I would recommend a non-Glock polymer frame compact in .40 caliber with an ergonomic grip. These tend to weigh about 21 ounces empty, hold about 10 rounds of ammo and are highly concealable. The two that I personally favor are the new S&W M&P 40 compact, and the H&K P2000SK. The H&K is the more expensive of the two.

#14 ·
The S&W M&P pistols fit my hands really well. So do the Taurus Millennium Pro guns. A number of folks have posted good reviews of these. If partial to Smith & Wesson, you might also consider the Chief's Special pistols: the CS9 or CS45.

I'm partial to the ultra-reliable CZ 75-series pistols. The 75B is a bit large for concealed-carry, but it's possible with the right holster and garments. I've got a P01 9mm and love it. Extremely reliable, accurate, conceals fairly well. The 2075 RAMI is smaller still, but is equally reliable.

#17 ·
Shizzlemah said:
Nobody has mentioned the "thin" sig, the P239.

Single stack (357/40/9) about a 3.75" barrel, compact pistol and conceals easily. Check them out!
I really like that Sig P239, I think I'm going to go see if I can find one sometime this week...hopefully I can catch someone at the range with one so I can fire it.

I'm not ruling out revolvers, my only issue with them is that they tent to be a bit bulkier then a semi auto and they are a pain to load/unload compared to a semi auto. I've looked at a few revolvers and if I decide to go with a revolver, it will probably be this one

#20 ·
my only issue with them is that they tent to be a bit bulkier then a semi auto and they are a pain to load/unload compared to a semi auto.[/URL]
Well, revolvers may seem bulkier because of the cylinder. But I guarantee that impression will change when you strap one on in a good holster. The curved contours of the revolver make it a very comfortable gun to wear and IMO much easier to hide than a blocky, squarish semi auto.

I went round and round my favortie gun store trying every concealable pistol I could find. And they have a GOOD inventory. The only ones they don't sell are CZs, and I tried a 2075 RAMI at another store. In the end, the S&W Model 637 won out over all others for two basic reasons: it pointed more naturally than anything else and it was the most comfortable and easiest to conceal.

Loading and unloading revolvers just takes a little more practice than semi autos.

#19 · (Edited)
If I don't have to remove my gun and holster during the course of the day I feel safest with my H&K USP Compact .45 loaded with Federal 165gr EFMJ's in a Milt Sparks VersaMax II IWB. This pistol WILL fire everytime you pull the trigger. Unfortunately my job involves entering Courthouses every day with search stations. Last month I bought a Kahr MK9 stainless pocket pistol. I was surprised when I ran 300 rounds through it to break it in without one FTL or FTE. I carry it in a cheap DeSantis pocket holster loaded with Speer 124gr "Short Barrel" Gold-Dot 9mm +p Hollowpoints. Both these pistols are more expensive than their competitors in their respective classes but I've decided they are well worth the money. A cheaper alternative is my Smith Model 60 .357MAG wheelgun with a 3-inch barrel carried in a UBG IWB loaded with 130gr Federal Hydra-Shoks.

#21 ·
#22 ·
Thanks for the recommendations guys. Sometime this week I'll go down to the gun shop and check everything out. There are quite a few decent shops around here with a decent selection, so I'm sure I'll be able to find just about anything that has been mentioned.

#24 ·
I have read your posts guys,and notice that none of you have mension small frame revolvers,like S&W 60 or Ruger SP 101.:aargh4:
I know that pistols are "in" and revolvers "out" but,I do think if man is well educated,choose reliable ammo and practise realisticaly,he would be well protected,in some normal Self Defense situation.:smile:
I m not talking about Police oficer off duty but a normal citizen.
For example,S&W 60 357 with 125grs JHP Golden Saber,summer lite rig,and realistic and often practise,from technical stand would be O.K.:biggrin2:
Psihical readines to shoot someone is probably the No.1 problem if you never had expiriance of that kind.:confused:
This problem can ocure even if you carry a M-60 ,not only a pistol of any kind.
Decisive and regular practise is main + to survive,not only the weapon.:congrats:

#25 ·
My first carry gus was a Ruger Speed Six. Nice gun, but now that I cary the P225 I know how much more uncomfortable and difficult a revolver can be.... and true pocket-size snubbies are really difficult for a new shooter to become proficient with, and require extra discipline not to play with in the pocket or put other things like keys in the pocket.

If someone is looking for a nightstand gun or truck gun I recommend a 4" .357 revolver. For a new CCW I suggest a safety-less pistol like the Sigs or some others. When someone gets some experience and starts to know what they like and what works for them, and is used to the idea of having a gun on themselves, THEN perhaps a pocket snubbie.

#26 ·
IMHO it's hard to beat the old reliable 1911. Lots of power, sweet shooting, superb trigger, good looks and easy to conceal. The lightweight ones carry so well that you forget they are there - 'til you need it or take it off.

#27 ·
Don't rule out the 2 1/2 and 4 inch K or L frame older S&W 357 Magnum guns...........rather modestly priced and plentiful... They may be a bit larger, but as it's been mentioned by another Forumite earlier...........CCW is an Art.........you can conciel almost anything with the right gear and holsters.. A J fram 5 shot S&W.. Ruger SP101 in 357 mag, M&P 9 or 40, and of course the Glocks, Springers, and tons of other stuff is readily available...........
Thruth is..........fondle MANY before you buy,,, and BUY what feels BEST in your hands and budget.. and what YOU feel SAFEST with.
let us know how your progress is going, as this Forum is packed with many knowlegable people, who can help guide you in the right direction.

#31 ·
Of course I would say shop around for a nice Colt Lightweight Commander as being dang near ideal for Every Day Carry. :tongue:
QK's got a real good point...........A Lightweight Commader is a great idea.........plenty of stopping power, good quality gun if you trade up or down, and easy to hide..
<Pssssssssssttt QK?> I'm still not giving up my old 50s Commander with the ivory grips to anybody LOL.....:danceban:

#29 ·
Check out the Springfiled XD line ( they make a subcompact model ), the S&W MP series, also have a compact model. I've got a Kahr K40, great gun & easy to conceal, I'm a bit skeptical of the PM series as there have been many complaints about the Kahr poly framed guns, especially in the larger calibers , no problems I recall with their all steel models. Try them all and see how they fit, feel and balance in YOUR hand.You can also check out the various 1911's offered by many makers. LOTS of choices !!

#30 ·
Thumper made a good point. I wish I had done that when I decided to get my CHL.

Go with you like, what feels good in your hand, and you are comfortable shooting. If your local range has a decent selection of rentals then you can test different guns out and see what you like.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.