First Carry Weapon - Ideas Please

This is a discussion on First Carry Weapon - Ideas Please within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Alright, I'll keep it short and too the point. I just turned 21 about a month and a half ago. I'm looking for a good ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First Carry Weapon - Ideas Please

First Carry Weapon - Ideas Please

Alright, I'll keep it short and too the point.

I just turned 21 about a month and a half ago.

I'm looking for a good concealed carry weapon and Glocks are out of the question...I don't like the feel of them.

Any suggestions on a weapon either in 9mm, .40, or .45 semi auto would be great.

It would be nice if I still lived in Arizona where its open carry...but Texas isn't as gun friendly...

Thanks a lot

edit : This info may come in handy according to what a few people have said so far. I'm a pretty small guy, 6'2 135lbs...I have shot plenty of pistols and know how to use them safely...I have just not carried concealed or handled very many 'concealable' weapons.
    Last edited by broknindarkagain; April 21st, 2007 at 03:57 AM.

2. Remove Ads

Springfield XD Maybe. They feel a LOT different than a glock in the hand and IMO they are very reliable, decently light and accurate. I have an XD-40 subcompact. Hard to find in some areas but I love mine. I've never had a hiccup with any sort of ammo. I carry speer gold dot and shoot WWB for practice.

I also really like the look and size of the Kahr PM40 but have never shot one, only held one in the store. I can't say how reliable they are since I have no experience.

Go to gun stores/ranges and handle a lot of handguns, Then rent and shoot the ones that feel best in your hand. Lastly, buy the weapon that you shoot best. Regards, Richard

Quote Originally Posted by richardoldfield
    Go to gun stores/ranges and handle a lot of handguns, Then rent and shoot the ones that feel best in your hand. Lastly, buy the weapon that you shoot best.
    There is only one range in town that rents out guns. Over half of what they have are Glocks...The rest of them are full size framed and not really a weapon that you can conceal.

Quote Originally Posted by darkvibe
    Springfield XD Maybe. They feel a LOT different than a glock in the hand and IMO they are very reliable, decently light and accurate. I have an XD-40 subcompact. Hard to find in some areas but I love mine. I've never had a hiccup with any sort of ammo. I carry speer gold dot and shoot WWB for practice.

I also really like the look and size of the Kahr PM40 but have never shot one, only held one in the store. I can't say how reliable they are since I have no experience.
    I've heard a few things about the Kahr P40, but not the PM40. I haven't seen either one in person...but the P40 has come up from a couple of people and is a possibility.

As for the XD, this is one of the biggest ones I've looked into. I've seen a few here and there, but I haven't had the chance to hold or shoot one. It does look like a decent weapon and from what I have heard/read on it, its very reliable. I read an article awhile back about a torture test that they did on it. Sand, mud, ice, etc and it still didn't miss a beat.

A friend of mine has a Ruger P345...I've shot it on several ocasions and loved how it shot...The only problem is that its a little too big for concealment. Is there anything similar to the P345 but in a smaller size?

VIP Member
    Go to the range and shoot what you can in 9mm, .40 & .45 to settle on a caliber you enjoy shooting.

Then at least go handle guns in the size you like that are available in the caliber you choose.

The decission has to be yours. If at the range you see someone's gun you would like to try, ask them if you can fire a few rounds.
    (I'd replace the ammo if you can before you leave in thanks)

Don't be in too big of a hurry, take your time and at least try shooting a Glock, you might be surprised!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

S&W M&P 40 Compact.

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Don't be so quick to disregard some of the weapons that you are naming off and calling too big to conceal. You might be surprised just how many of us conceal carry those "big" guns, and we do so for many legitimate reasons.

Concealment is almost an art, and a willingness to spend the time and money on the proper gear to conceal on us.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Thanks for the ideas guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper
    Don't be in too big of a hurry, take your time and at least try shooting a Glock, you might be surprised!
    The reason why I said Glocks are out of the question in my first post is because I have shot several of them...To be honest with you they are by far the most uncomfortable pistols I have ever fired, and I'm much more accurate with other pistols.

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper
    Go to the range and shoot what you can in 9mm, .40 & .45 to settle on a caliber you enjoy shooting.
    I have always liked .45s, but I don't know how the recoil will be on a smaller framed weapon...the last thing I want is to not be able to have follow up shots if needed.
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Smith & Wesson M&P9c

You would be surprised at how easy it is to conceal a 'big' weapon like the 1911 or XD. I'm not a big guy and have no trouble at all concealing a Colt Commander. They key is using the right holster and belt, in my case a GAry Brommeland Max Con V and a Wilderness five stitch belt. The new Springfield XD Compact .45s are some of the best deals going IMO. They offer a shorter grip than a full size pistol with a full length barrel. With a good IWB holster you should be able to conceal one easily.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

Since you haven't listed any expirience level it is hard to make a recommendation.

As far as hard to conceal, I carry an N-Frame 4" Revolver 24/7 and a J-Frame Snubbie. Yes, I'm "Old School" but I can afford to be. I'm also an LEO that carries an autoloader on duty. I just prefer the Wheelguns.

Take a look at Revolvers if you don't have much experience. In my opinion, Revolvers can and will teach you how to shoot. When you get good with a Wheelgun you will really appreciate what an autoloader can do.

Who knows, you may decide "Retro" is where it's at.

Biker

With the right gear you might be very surprised what you can conceal. Even here in the heat of central Fl I can still carry my .45's (Commander and Micro) backed 4- by a J Frame .38 or at times just the .38.

Research really good holsters and belts while doing your search.

You might want to consider a first gun like a Ruger SP101. Can handle a very wide range of rounds from low powered .38 target rounds to full house .357. It will make you concentrate on good shooting skills. As your skills grow you might decide on something else but I bet you'd hang on to that one as the collection grows. I know I would!
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Maybe a compact .40 with polymer frame?

From what I've been able to learn from your postings, you are interested in a compact and concealable CCW semiautomatic, and are pretty open on caliber. You haven't mentioned a price constraint, and I believe you are open to polymer frames but don't like the grip feel of Glocks.

I think I would recommend a non-Glock polymer frame compact in .40 caliber with an ergonomic grip. These tend to weigh about 21 ounces empty, hold about 10 rounds of ammo and are highly concealable. The two that I personally favor are the new S&W M&P 40 compact, and the H&K P2000SK. The H&K is the more expensive of the two.

Center of the World Ma! Center of the World!
    Quote Originally Posted by darkvibe View Post
    Ditto, I like mine too, or a 1911 they are hard to beat. Slimmer then the XD and a better balanced weapon, I have also started to get used to a Hi Power. Lots of options hit the gun stores and fondle the lot. Lucky you are in Texas you have lots of choices and opportunities.
    "Hell of a thing, killin' a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."
    - William Munny (Clint Eastwood in the Unfrogivin)

“The graveyards are full of indispensable men.” – Napoleon Bonaparte

“My Idea of a fair fight is beating baby seals with a club”

The S&W M&P pistols fit my hands really well. So do the Taurus Millennium Pro guns. A number of folks have posted good reviews of these. If partial to Smith & Wesson, you might also consider the Chief's Special pistols: the CS9 or CS45.

I'm partial to the ultra-reliable CZ 75-series pistols. The 75B is a bit large for concealed-carry, but it's possible with the right holster and garments. I've got a P01 9mm and love it. Extremely reliable, accurate, conceals fairly well. The 2075 RAMI is smaller still, but is equally reliable.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Nobody has mentioned the "thin" sig, the P239.

Single stack (357/40/9) about a 3.75" barrel, compact pistol and conceals easily. Check them out!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links