Votes: 3 4.1%
  • Engraved Rosewood

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Edge

Votes: 1 1.4%

Which Sig P938?

14K views 69 replies 36 participants last post by  Rockymonster 
#1 ·
I've pretty much decided my next pistol will be a Sig P938. Since they are such a popular gun, some models seem hard to come by. It's also somewhat difficult to see what the true differences are, other than cosmetic, on some models. I get the Hogue grips, and some have more rounded corners, but it's not readily apparent why some are different. So I ask, if you own a Sig P938 which one did you buy and why did you pick it?

#3 ·
I don't know that any of them come with anything but night sights, a few come with the TFO front sight, but that may be one thing. Some come with the ambidextrous safety. Other than that it comes down to grips and finish. I had an SAS model that was awesome, perfect for pocket carry. I ankle carried it, and bought it because it looked awesome and was a steal price wise at the time. But the only real difference with it is the rounded corners as you said. Internally they are all the same.

Reactions: G26Raven
#6 ·
I got the sport model ..Houge and fiber optic ..I picked it as I did not like the serration on the front strap so that plus removing the ambi safty made it great

#7 ·
You just made me go to the Sig website to see them all to see what the difference is (here's the link for anyone else: P938)

I have the Nightmare. I picked it because one of my local gun stores was going out of business and had an amazing sale, and that was the only option. And I don't much care about the cosmetics.

#42 ·
You just made me go to the Sig website to see them all to see what the difference is (here's the link for anyone else: P938)
SIG's web site is out of date. This was told to me by Customer Service, who just repaired my first P938, an AG. I have two others not listed there.

Reactions: AZMacaw
#9 ·
I bought the Nightmare. Hopefully one day I won't be listening to a prosecutor tell a jury that the defendant carried a pistol with the model name "Nightmare". There were less options when I bought mind but I do not care all that much. Most are just cosmetic differences. If I were starting from scratch right now I would first look for one of those PSA sales on the SAS model. They are around $500 when they put a batch up for sale. Second choice would be the Equinox as I like the Sig night sites rear/front TFO combo. Beyond that I do not really have a preference plus Sig sells the TFO if I could not find an Equinox. What would I get for a second one? Sig says the stainless with nickel PVD will be out this summer.

#10 ·
Second choice would be the Equinox as I like the Sig night sites rear/front TFO combo. Beyond that I do not really have a preference plus Sig sells the TFO if I could not find an Equinox. What would I get for a second one? Sig says the stainless with nickel PVD will be out this summer.
I just put a full set of TFO's on my 229 and love them. Here's a good pic of what that nickel finish looks like, my 1911 compact has it. Really nice, has just a slight bronze tint to it.

Gun Firearm Trigger Air gun Airsoft gun

#13 ·
I bought the SAS. Love the looks of the gun. Now if I could just learn to shoot it. For whatever reason I can't seem to hit the broad side of a barn with it. This will become a special project to either master it or find out why it doesn't shoot where I point it.

#16 ·
I bought the SAS. Love the looks of the gun. Now if I could just learn to shoot it. For whatever reason I can't seem to hit the broad side of a barn with it. This will become a special project to either master it or find out why it doesn't shoot where I point it.
Yeah, I know it's off-topic but having a little bout like that with my 9mm XDS right now. My problem is is DOES shoot where I point it.

I just don't seem to be pointing it so hot right now. I think it KNOWS I really want a 938. Yeah, THAT'S it ! :rolleyes:

Ah FEEL your pain ! :aargh4:

#17 ·
I went with the Extreme for three reasons
1 - I wanted one with the 7 round magazine
2 - I like really aggressive grips
3 - Mostly, it was what they had in stock

Since I got mine they have gotten in several other versions, but I would still select the Extreme, or maybe the SAS, but I have never handled one.

#18 ·
Personally, I am leaning towards the BRG or Nitron.

Reactions: MMinSC
#21 ·
I considered the BRG, but I read several reports that the rubber grips did not fully contain a pin in the frame, but allowed it to move out of position.

After I got the Extreme, I looked again at the articles I had read and realized the reports were actually several years old. If I had noticed the dates earlier, I might have ended up getting the BRG. In addition to liking aggressve grips, I like the stickiness of rubber grips.

Good luck with your decision. I have had no issues with my P938, but I only have about 200 rounds through it, all 124gr reloads. Oh yeah, mine shoots exactly where I point it, at least out to 30'.

#20 ·
I have the BRG - more because that was what the gunstore had available when they messed up my order for a Rosewood, and having to go through all the idiocracy of the CA SSE process wasn't an option!

Really - perfectly happy with the BRG, I put wood grips for a while but have since put the rubber grips back on.

#22 ·
Thanks to all for your insights!

#39 ·
Curious as top why you'd carry as pocket gun with no round in the chamber AND uncocked?
I ask because it seems to make more sense (to me) to have a round in there and be able to draw, cock and shoot with one hand if needed, or do the same two handed, but do it faster than racking the slide before shooting (microseconds, probably, but at least there is the added guarantee one will be in the chamber).

BTW I was too lazy to search for every version of the gun to make a good poll decision :)
Need pics!

#32 ·
Not a 938, but I picked up a 238 (same gun in 380), for a steal about a month back at a Sig promotional day down in San Antonio. The promotion came with Hogue black rubber grips, that I switched out some Hogue wood grips. Tried to get as close to me he SAS style, as that was my fav... $550 for the gun, grips, laser sight (don't use) and 3 mags. Couldn't pass it up. Love this little pistol and it shoots like a dream. The 938 is likewise sweet, with just a touch more umph that you'd expect from a 9.

Firearm Gun Trigger Gun accessory Gun barrel

#37 ·
Bought my wife a Reverse Two Tone P238 for $450+tax late last year, wherein the lower was actually platinum finish and slide is black/blued....after a few months, the platinum finish started bulging & peeling off, complained it to SIG and they RMA'd it......they were not able to fix the issue and made us pick any finish-P238 on their current line up....my wife picked the White Pearl with Engravings......they cost about $700+ then....plus they sent me an extra 6-rd magazine....sweet!!!:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.