Help me decide: S&W M&P 340 or 642 - Page 2

Help me decide: S&W M&P 340 or 642

This is a discussion on Help me decide: S&W M&P 340 or 642 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I voted 642 primarily b/c I just bought one this weekend. My first snubbie. I can't wait to go to the range and try it ...

View Poll Results: Which would you choose?

Voters
86. You may not vote on this poll

65 75.58%
  • M&P 340

21 24.42%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help me decide: S&W M&P 340 or 642

I voted 642 primarily b/c I just bought one this weekend. My first snubbie. I can't wait to go to the range and try it out. Today I bought a Galco Concealable holster and some SD ammo. I'm carrying it right now OWB to get a feel for it, although until I shoot it, I'm also carrying my pocket pal, KT P11.

I've always wanted a snubbie, the closest I have to one is a Rossi M68 3", but that is wife's gun.

I'll give a report as soon as I can find time to hit the range.
    FREEDOM MATTERS!

I vote for the 642. It is my favorite spring/summer gun. Get an IWB holster throw on a T shirt and go. Or it fits nicely in your pocket even with shorts. It is a great shooting gun with a little practice. It was my first revolver and it did not dissapoint me.

I would also consider the 638 model....

340PD

Go with the 340 except u might be able to find a good deal on a used one since they can be a handfull but u save 3 ozs which is a big difference to me. My dad has one and he had tritium sights put on it and now I can hit the midsection at 5 yards consistntly. If I stage teh trigger I can shoot it even better. I don't shoot 357 out of it except the fitst time to shoot it and when the range dudes sold me the wrong box. When they did that I told dad that it kicked harder that time and since I had been shooting 38's before that the 357's were stuck. I like the sights they were done by sending it out. But laser sights would be nice too as I shot a 642 with them. I use it with an ankle holster and like it.

After renting a 340Sc (slightly lighter than the M&P 340 and without the night sight), I made my decision and ordered the M&P 340. A box of .38+P and a few target strength .357 Magnums led me to believe that the recoil on that particular revolver is very manageable and I'm only 5'7, 145 pounds. I didn't like the sights on the 340Sc but the M&P XS front sight and U-groove rear make a huge difference. We'll see if I ever carry it with .357 loads (probably won't), but the sights, slightly lighter weight, .357 capability, and black finish helped me justify the difference in cost. If I had bought the 642, it would have cost me quite a bit to get the sights the way I wanted and now I don't have to worry about it.

Good choice. I have a 340 as well. Great little carry gun. You made reference to the VT shooting. That low life had a G19 and a Walther 22 and fired about 170 rounds. I wouldn't want to have a shoot out with him if I was only packing a j frame. It looks like you also have a Sig 226 and a G19, those would be much better suited, God forbid such an incident were to occur again.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Quote Originally Posted by NY27 View Post
    Good choice. I have a 340 as well. Great little carry gun. You made reference to the VT shooting. That low life had a G19 and a Walther 22 and fired about 170 rounds. I wouldn't want to have a shoot out with him if I was only packing a j frame. It looks like you also have a Sig 226 and a G19, those would be much better suited, God forbid such an incident were to occur again.
    My guess is that he would not have had a chance to fire 170 rounds if there had been someone shooting back at him. Also, I'd rather go into a gun fight with my own gun than not have a weapon on me to protect myself. I'd die knowing that I had had a chance to put up a fight unlike the victims at VT since concealed carry was not allowed. In a situation like that where concealed carry is prohibited, the law abiding citizens are placed at a huge disadvantage. I will not carry where I am not legally able to do so. Someone with their mind set on killing innocent people will violate those laws without a second thought. Down the road when I get more comfortable with carrying, I may rotate in the P229 Elite that I'm anxiously awaiting as the P226 will be given to my brother and the G19 is in the process of being sold. My first carry gun was meant to be something that provided me with the versatility such that I will have no excuse not to have it with me regardless of my attire.

Either of the Sigs or the G19 would give you a good bit of firepower and all are concealable with a small effort. Several folks on here carry the same guns on a daily basis that you're about to get rid of. I really do like my 642 but I feel much safer carrying something with better capacity and faster reloads - currently a 1911 and soon to be a G19 as well.
    Jack

Quote Originally Posted by maclean3 View Post
    Either of the Sigs or the G19 would give you a good bit of firepower and all are concealable with a small effort. Several folks on here carry the same guns on a daily basis that you're about to get rid of. I really do like my 642 but I feel much safer carrying something with better capacity and faster reloads - currently a 1911 and soon to be a G19 as well.
    Jack
    The G19 is being sold because I'm not a huge fan of the way they feel so given a choice, it would not be my carry weapon. The P226 is too large to conceal on my small frame (I'm 5'7, 145 pounds) unless I were to be wearing a really thick cover garment despite the fact that I'm the type who is always overheating. The P229, as mentioned in the last post, may see some carry duty in the cooler months when thicker clothing is not an issue. With the J-frame, I know that regardless of the weather, I will be able to pull off either IWB or pocket carry. I plan on practicing with the revolver to the point where having only 5 shots will not be a limiting factor.

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    The 340 was a good choice. I think any of the J-frames are. I've had my 442 for 13 yrs now.

That being said, I find myself putting my Kahr PM9 in my pocket & carrying the 7 round mag in the other pocket. The PM9's as light as my 442, shorter, thinner, easier/quicker to reload, & more powerful (Comparing its 3" barrel to the J's 1 7/8" one).

But the 340 can take .357 & it's lighter than the PM9. Hmmm...
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

Senior Member Array Smith&Wessonfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cockedlocked01 View Post
    The PM9's as light as my 442, shorter, thinner, easier/quicker to reload, & more powerful (Comparing its 3" barrel to the J's 1 7/8" one).
    At the risk of incurring a hijack, I will mention a seldomly considered fact regarding the "difference" in revolver and semi auto pistol barrel lenghts.

Revolver barrel lengths do not include the cylinder's length (the gun's chamber). Pistol barrel lengths do include the chamber. The ATF measures a locked-breech weapon's barrel length by closing the action, dropping a dowel down the bore, and marking where it exits the muzzle. That measurement obviously includes the chamber.

Now, a bullet only accelerates down the rifled postion of the bore. All of which is in front of the chamber. So the rifled portion of a 3" pistol barrel is more like 2.5 to 2.25 inches. Not all that different from a snub's barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiff_P239 View Post
    My guess is that he would not have had a chance to fire 170 rounds if there had been someone shooting back at him. Also, I'd rather go into a gun fight with my own gun than not have a weapon on me to protect myself. I'd die knowing that I had had a chance to put up a fight unlike the victims at VT since concealed carry was not allowed. In a situation like that where concealed carry is prohibited, the law abiding citizens are placed at a huge disadvantage. I will not carry where I am not legally able to do so. Someone with their mind set on killing innocent people will violate those laws without a second thought. Down the road when I get more comfortable with carrying, I may rotate in the P229 Elite that I'm anxiously awaiting as the P226 will be given to my brother and the G19 is in the process of being sold. My first carry gun was meant to be something that provided me with the versatility such that I will have no excuse not to have it with me regardless of my attire.
    I admire your zest. But I was merely suggesting that since YOU brought up the VT shooting that a weapon with more capacity is better than a 5 shot j frame. True that a j frame in your hand is better than a G19 in the safe, but as mentioned a G19 is not hard to conceal. And a j frame is pretty much for personal protection, not going up against someone hell bent on killing a large amount of people.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

I'm not arguing the fact that the Glock 19 is a better choice when faced with a gunman who is set on going on a killing spree and has multiple weapons. However, if 1 well-aimed shot can end the threat, the other 15 rounds left in the Glock won't mean anything more than the 4 left in my snubnose. At the moment I only have money for 1 gun that will serve as my carry gun. Seeing as how I could not conceal a G19 under all circumstances, I'm going with the J-frame. It's just what will work best for me at this point in time and I know that it will be there when I need it.

Well, I just picked up my M&P 340 and figured I'd bust out some pics for your enjoyment.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links