Help me decide: S&W M&P 340 or 642

This is a discussion on Help me decide: S&W M&P 340 or 642 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was wondering if anybody on the forum had any experience with Smith & Wesson's M&P 340 J-frame revolver. I would be looking to compare ...

View Poll Results: Which would you choose?

Voters
86. You may not vote on this poll

65 75.58%
  • M&P 340

21 24.42%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me decide: S&W M&P 340 or 642

Help me decide: S&W M&P 340 or 642

I was wondering if anybody on the forum had any experience with Smith & Wesson's M&P 340 J-frame revolver. I would be looking to compare it to the 642. After the horrific event that was the Virginia Tech shooting, I'm looking to find a small revolver that I can keep on me at all times. I know the 340 is chambered in .357 but it is unlikely that I would ever shoot Magnum rounds out of such a light weight revolver. I like the idea of the front night sight as well even though at times, point shooting is called for. I'm basically looking to determine the reliability of the 340 and see if anyone can compare the recoil while shooting .38s to that of the 642 since there is a 1.7 ounce difference in weight. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Now I'm also considering the Kahr PM9. I've read that some of these pistols have issues with the barrel but others are flawless. I held a MK9 at the gun store today and it felt pretty good and had a nice, smooth trigger as well. Somebody make this choice eaiser for me...
    Last edited by Spiff_P239; April 25th, 2007 at 11:34 AM.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    I'd get the 642, and spend the money I saved on ammo and range time - with something that ornery, and only 5 rounds, I'd want to ensure I could control it and make everything count.

Ron
    Don't know much about the M&P, but do own the 642 and love it. I have mine with Crimson Trace Laser Grips, and carry in a Mika pocket holster.

Ron
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

Wife's Gun...

SW 637...somewhat similar...with the hammer, but still the same light gun as the 642...you'll love it!

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I personally have been looking at the 340 myself. Quite a bit more price difference. But you can carry +p .38 or .357. Really in a stress such as a shooting incident...you are not going to notice the recoil. .357 is one hell of a round. Plus the new tritium sight is just plain cool.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

+1 on the 642. I would use the money saved and buy a set of crimson trace laser grips.

I had a 340PD (the same thing as as an MP 340, just different color I think), sold it because I couldn't hit the target past 5yds on rapid fire (stress shooting some people call it?) and precise shoots were out of the question (I think the OEM DAO trigger was set to 12-14lbs).

Like I said, it had too heavy a trigger pull, and recoil was too much in .357. I had a smith work on the trigger, but it still wasn't to my liking (5lbs; +/-1lb).

Next revolver I get will be a shrouded hammer one (theres a thread about it somewhere) - you seem to get the best of both worlds (snag free + light SA stroke).

the 642 is a better gun period.. the 340's tend to be inaccurate past 5 or 6 yrds. where the 642 is a lot better
    When the dust settles only the prepared will survive.

NRA LIFE MEMBER

remember the only thing common about common sense is that its not that common

Shoot low boys their riding Shetland ponies.

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    My EDC is a 642 and I really like it. I looked at the .357, but couldn't justify the extra cost. I carry Speer +p rounds and a speed strip with the same. In no way to I feel out gunned.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

I have the 642 with the Laser Grips on it. My wife loves it, shoots it very well, better than me. Light weight, handles okay for a light gun. It has it's purpose like most...
    I know, I know, you are smarter than me..just ask you..

I have a few handguns but my 340PD is my favorite. I can throw it in the pocket of any pants/shorts and forget about it.

I'm going to put on crimson traces new LG105 laser grips once they become availible to the online vendors.

I would save my money and buy the 642.

I used to have a 640 chambered in .357 Magnum, and I'm not "allergic" to recoil. I found that I shoot better, have faster follow up shots and I'm more accurate with the 38 SPL, so I don't shoot/carry .357 Mag in a J-Frame anymore.

You may be different, but somehow I doubt it. Get the 642 and don't look back.

Biker

Administrator
    Given the 2 choices and factoring in your intended purpose I ditto the 642.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

It's hard to beat the 642 for a go anywhere, pocket gun - I love mine.
    Jack

I love my 642 and it is suprisingly accurate for a snubbie. You can't go wrong with a 642 loaded with+P.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links