Defensive Carry banner

What is the Biggest, Shiniest, Most Impressive Gun?

6K views 48 replies 39 participants last post by  Vegas 
#1 ·
I've convinced my buddy to get his CCW, even though he doesn't intend to carry, to support 2A.

What he wants, is a big, shiny (nickel or stainless), impressive gun for the bedside. He wouldn't be afraid to use it, but he figures a big barrel in a bad guys face would add some fear/deterrent effect. Anyway, what would you reccommend?

#8 ·
OUCH! I shoot .45-70 in rifles, but that would be insane in a pistol...especially without a muzzle brake! "BFR" indeed!

#5 ·
A 12 gague pump is quite impressive and does some serious damage with the right ammo in it not to mention the cock sound effect if you have one waiting to be loaded in the chamber. Forget shiny and pretty and replace that with a reliable weapon he can use and handle well if needed.

If a handgun, the 500 S&W is quite impressive!

Ti

#7 ·
A 12 gague pump is quite impressive and does some serious damage with the right ammo in it
+1 Don't look for "impressive" look for effective. In the dark the BG probably won't know what you have anyway.

#6 ·
If you want the biggest shiniest handgun, I would go with either a S&W 500 or a Magnum Research Desert Eagle .50. Both are pretty expensive weapons, but handguns don't get any bigger then those.

If thats too big, you may want to even try a .44mag revolver. They pack quite a bit of power in them.

As for a weapon thats just big and will scare someone, I agree with Ti Carry. A pump action 12guage is the best way to go. The Remington 870 is pretty easy to operate, its not that heavy, and its one of the most reliable shotguns ever made.

But on the other hand, I don't think its a great idea to buy a gun just as a "scare tactic" though. You should never point a weapon at anyone unless you intend to shoot them...but the bigger your gun, the more chances the intruder has of being freaked out and running. Just make sure you are ready to actually shoot someone if you pull it out.

#9 ·
How about a 'HOWDA' style double pistol?

This one is in .45-70 as well:

#10 ·
Be dammed if i will advise even in jest a firearms purchace for someone who obviously will not train or shoot enough so that he is not a danger to his family .

#13 ·
If he can find one that he can afford without taking out a 2nd mortgage, a .44 Auto-Mag might be a good choice.

#16 ·
either that or he would just stand there with his jaw dropped and wet himself. I think that would be my reaction if someone pointed a 20mm warhead at me...There would be no running away from something like that.​

#17 ·
Just think somebody breaks into your house and they run into you looking like this:

Just make sure he isn't firing blanks, and this will probally work wonders.

BTW according to the website these guns really do exsist in mexico but are made on special order only. Also come in a double shot bra model.

#19 ·
There is that gold plated AK-47 from "Lord of Wars."

#20 ·
My solution

In terms of "biggest and shiniest", this is the best I can do. It is a S&W model 629 in .44 magnum with 5 inch barrel. The ammo is 240 grain Winchester Ranger hollowpoints, which use the same bullet design as the old "Black Talons".

#21 ·
Good 'Ole Coach Gun...

No one likes to look at the DOUBLE barrels of a 12ga coach gun looking back at 'em...:frown:

ret

#26 ·
No one likes to look at the DOUBLE barrels of a 12ga coach gun looking back at 'em...:frown:

ret
This would qualify......they make them in nickel finish.

#23 · (Edited)
SUPERSOAKER. He can tell BG it's loaded with urine so they'd better PI$$ off! Sorry, I don't mean to be crude....but this sort of thing PI$$E$ me off. Do your buddy a favor, do NOT let him get his ccw! He'll get killed or kill somebody innocent. Do US a favor, don't support the 2nd Amendment in this manner. It is going to lead to a tragedy. Get folks like your friend to join NRA/GOA/SAF/CCRKBA and get some good publications like America's First Freedom (NRA) or Gun Week (SAF). That's a serious form of help. This course of action is like pulling the pin on a live hand grenade and handing that grenade to a little kid waiting in line to participate in an "egg toss."

#32 ·
Hate to respond again to a similar rant, but guys, Please know that my buddy IS an NRA member, and an experienced shooter, my post never said he was a newbie. The only reason he doesn't have his ccw is because he couldn't carry where he wants to. When I suggested that having more licensed ccw'ers on the books would help politicians be less afraid to support 2A legislation, he saw this might make sense.

Can we stop reading more into the posts here than is posted?

#24 ·
What he wants, is a big, shiny (nickel or stainless), impressive gun for the bedside. He wouldn't be afraid to use it, but he figures a big barrel in a bad guys face would add some fear/deterrent effect. Anyway, what would you reccommend?
Sounds like he expects the intruder to faint or have a heart attack just from looking at his magnificently menacing weapon, rather than actually using it. So I recommend he be taught, in the case of a midnight intruder in the bedroom, to fire before the intruder has much of a chance to see the defensive weapon. Assuming, of course, that he lives in a state with a decent castle-doctrine law.

#25 ·
Just get ya a good ol stand by gun Glock Sig Walther S&W Whatever may turn your crank just leave the pretty,impressive and shiney part to your other half.. a pretty wife will get ya alot farther then a pretty gun.... besides if she that good lookin she can distract the burglar while you get your gun WARNING WATCH WHAT YOU ARE TYPING MAKE SURE SHE"S NOT LOOKING OVER YOUR SHOULDER I accept no responsibility for comments made and individuals made to sleep on their couch :buttkick:

#30 ·
If he wants a gun that will intimidate so that he doesn't have to use it then he is sadly mistaken and will certainly pause when called to act.
He needs training more than he needs a shiny gun.
He needs a lot of training and attitude adjustment, he isn't beyond salvation I'm guessing but does need to learn some basics.

Nobody notices what is pointed at them with any great clarity, it is either a gun or not a gun. It is a binary concept.

If he insists on getting a gun in the interim, and it is his right to do so, then advise him to get something with a light/laser attached so he doesn't inadvertently make the breakfast news for shooting one of his kids getting a glass of water in the night.

#33 ·
Hate to respond again to a similar rant, but guys, Please know that my buddy IS an NRA member, and an experienced shooter.
No disrespect to you or him intended but if he's an experienced shooter he will know that nobody is intimidated by one handgun more than another in the heat of the moment.
If someone came at me with a Desert Eagle I would see a gun, and determine what it was in the resulting court case assuming I survived.

We just wanted opinions on what others thought were impressive AND practical Handguns.
Whatever you shoot best. Good luck and enjoy shooting.

#36 ·
Again, no disrespect, but your first post and the last are completely different. It's probably no wonder that people reacted the way they did. Gun forums are notorious for people taking matters very seriously and literally. although this is easily the friendliest one of all it is still possible to raise a slight stink by asking a question that is read wrong by the others.
If you want to ask what's the biggest fun gun then stick the tread in 'general gun' or even 'off topic',
Hope nobody offended you, it is a good thread it just got misunderstood.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.