Experiences with a Kimber Raptor Ultra?

This is a discussion on Experiences with a Kimber Raptor Ultra? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I bought an XD 9mm Subcompact as a carry pistol, but having second thought at the last moment. It's a great weapon, but it feels ...

Thread: Experiences with a Kimber Raptor Ultra?

Member Array airbornerangerboogie's Avatar

Experiences with a Kimber Raptor Ultra?

I bought an XD 9mm Subcompact as a carry pistol, but having second thought at the last moment. It's a great weapon, but it feels a bit bulky as a CCW. I've been admiring the Kimber Ultra Raptor II, but not sure how a Subcompact .45 acp is going to shoot. Any body got any recommendations? I have the XD .45 ACP service and it does have might-bit recoil, so I'm imagining the the smaller .45 would kick like a "small" mule. . on the other hand the range reports I read seem to be pretty good.
    “Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.” James Dean
    Phil (NRA Member and Vietnam Vet)
    ------------- My CCW ----------------
    No Guns Here Boss
    I gave them to the naked Pigmy's in New Guinea

2. Remove Ads

3 inch barrel 1911s

Kimber's "Ultra" line of 3 inch 1911 pistols certainly have sold well, judging by the number of them one sees in gun stores, and the comments on gun chat boards like Combat Carry. And the other major 1911 manufacturers also have similar 3 inch guns in their line, including Colt, Springfield and Para Ordnance. A 3 inch 1911 with an Officers length grip and aluminum frame makes a lot of sense for CCW, giving you a very slim, concealable gun in a major caliber.

Some people who post about these complain about reliability, but I get the impression that over 90% of owners are pretty happy with these guns, based on the threads I have read. I think the manufacturers have gradually worked out the bugs in these 3 inch designs and generally produce a gun that works well.

My own personal experience is with a Colt Defender, a gun that has been on the market for about 10 years. Colt now produces these with a "dimpled" barrel right at the feed ramp location to enhance feeding. This is a small, streamlined notch in the barrel that is intended to guide the bullet from the magazine into the chamber. It seems to work, as my Defender has gone through about 600 rounds of various .45 ammo without a problem. I trust mine for defense, and it certainly conceals quite easily.

You asked about recoil. I don't find the recoil excessive at all, compared to other lightweight guns in major calibers, like the small Glocks, Kahrs or other polymer guns. The 3 inch 1911s are the same dimensions as these guns, but generally weigh a bit more because of aluminum frames instead of polymer. The extra weight helps on recoil.

Last edited by pogo2; April 22nd, 2007 at 08:50 AM.

very nice. I'd love to see pics of the kimber too.
    I have found a couple of the lil' defenders for sale. Wished I found the money for it...
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Member Array airbornerangerboogie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    Kimber's "Ultra" line of 3 inch 1911 pistols certainly have sold well, judging by the number of them one sees in gun stores, and the comments on gun chat boards like Combat Carry. And the other major 1911 manufacturers also have similar 3 inch guns in their line, including Colt, Springfield and Para Ordnance. A 3 inch 1911 with an Officers length grip and aluminum frame makes a lot of sense for CCW, giving you a very slim, concealable gun in a major caliber.

Some people who post about these complain about reliability, but I get the impression that over 90% of owners are pretty happy with these guns, based on the threads I have read. I think the manufacturers have gradually worked out the bugs in these 3 inch designs and generally produce a gun that works well.

My own personal experience is with a Colt Defender, a gun that has been on the market for about 10 years. Colt now produces these with a "dimpled" barrel right at the feed ramp location to enhance feeding. This is a small, streamlined notch in the barrel that is intended to guide the bullet from the magazine into the chamber. It seems to work, as my Defender has gone through about 600 rounds of various .45 ammo without a problem. I trust mine for defense, and it certainly conceals quite easily.

You asked about recoil. I don't find the recoil excessive at all, compared to other lightweight guns in major calibers, like the small Glocks, Kahrs or other polymer guns. The 3 inch 1911s are the same dimensions as these guns, but generally weigh a bit more because of aluminum frames instead of polymer. The extra weight helps on recoil.
    Thanks, for the input and that's a beautiful, but lethal looking weapon you have there.
    “Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.” James Dean
    Phil (NRA Member and Vietnam Vet)
    ------------- My CCW ----------------
    No Guns Here Boss
    I gave them to the naked Pigmy's in New Guinea

Thumbs up Ultra Raptor II

Quote Originally Posted by airbornerangerboogie View Post
    I bought an XD 9mm Subcompact as a carry pistol, but having second thought at the last moment. It's a great weapon, but it feels a bit bulky as a CCW. I've been admiring the Kimber Ultra Raptor II, but not sure how a Subcompact .45 acp is going to shoot. Any body got any recommendations? I have the XD .45 ACP service and it does have might-bit recoil, so I'm imagining the the smaller .45 would kick like a "small" mule. . on the other hand the range reports I read seem to be pretty good.
    I purchased an Ultra Raptor II a few months ago.Upon purchase,I cleaned and lubed.My first range session I fired 450 rounds.This was a mix of various ball and hollow point.I was very impressed.Zero malfunctions.I even tried limp wristing and could not induce a failure.Accuracy was unbelievable for such a short sight radius.Recoil seemed only slightly more than my all steel Colt Combat Commander...Shot another 150 rounds yesterday,more of the same result.........
    Attached Images

unless you are just flat out enamored with the Raptor get one of the reg. ultra carries and save the extra 150.00, I have the complete Raptor series ( Grand Raptor, Raptor, Pro and ultra ) they were given to me as a 25th anniversary present by my wife, but after shooting and checking them all out they reside in my safe as show pieces and I now have a Springfield Micro Compact Lt Wgt BiTone for my main carry piece, yes it's a handfull with defense loads in it but it is certainly manageable a set of good grips help it considerably I put Pachmyer signature wrap arounds on it and it made a world of difference.
    Gun Control: What a long strange trip it's been

I've had a Kimber Ultra CDP II for about a year, and have been quite pleased with it. I haven't had any reliability issues with mine. A couple of friends also have 3" Kimbers (Ultra Carry model) and it's the same with them. I was already happy with Kimber's quality from my experience with the Desert Warrior before I purchased the Ultra.

I made sure to go through the recommended break-in period (500 rounds of FMJ) before testing self-defense rounds. Since then, I've tried a decent sampling of ammo through it, both standard and +P, without experiencing feed or extraction problems. I've pretty much settled on Winchester Ranger SXT/T series in 230gr, because it's such a good value with performance comparable to any of the top brands.

Here's some averaged Chrony results (in fps) from a couple of loads, comparing performance in the 3" versus the 5". As you can see, you drop about 60fps with the shorter barrel. I intend to try some more loads with the Chrony when I get the chance. You certainly could get higher velocities with a lighter bullet. I've tended to stick with the 230gr variety.

---------------------------Desert Warrior 5"---Ultra CDP II 3"

The 3" Kimber is surprisingly comfortable to shoot. My young bride and grandkids both think so, too. Recoil is very manageable, regardless of load. With practice and attention to good technique, quick follow-up shots are easy to make. Inherent accuracy is excellent.

I purchased the Ultra CDP II with the specific intention of it being my every-day-carry handgun, and it hasn't disappointed me. The only changes I've made have been grips. I did some experimenting with IWB holsters and now use a Tucker Answer. I encountered some discomfort from the standard checkered rosewood grips, because the holster holds the butt of the pistol tight against the body (as it should). I first switched to some very nice shed elk antler grips, and lately to some thinline Alumagrips, which I recommend highly.

All in all, if you like 1911s, I think you'd be pleased with a 3" Kimber for a carry piece. It would be mainly a choice of which specific model appeals to you. Here's some pics of mine.

Alongside the Desert Warrior:

In the Tucker HF1:

With elk antler grips, in the Tucker Answer:

With the new thinline Alumagrips:
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

I'm very happy with my Ultra Raptor. No complaints at all. I purchased it as a larger bug to my P3AT...but I find myself carrying it as my primary quite a bit of the time.
    I'm close to the 500 round mark and have had zero problems with it.

It's a bit snappy on recoil with 230 gain ammo..but nothing serious enough to worry about imo.
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

I had a regular Ultra Carry II. I liked it a lot. While I havent owned the Raptor guns I really like them and wouldnt hesistate to own one.

My UC did kick more obviously than a full size but to me it wasnt uncomfortable or anything. I like the Colt Defender too.
    Best,
    JP
    D/FW, TX

Ultra Owner Here...

A Kimber Ultra CDP II is my EDC. Easy to conceal, great shooter...

Basically, the same size gun as the Raptor...can't beat the Ultra series for CCW...

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by frostyeyes View Post
    unless you are just flat out enamored with the Raptor get one of the reg. ultra carries and save the extra 150.00, I have the complete Raptor series ( Grand Raptor, Raptor, Pro and ultra ) they were given to me as a 25th anniversary present by my wife, but after shooting and checking them all out they reside in my safe as show pieces and I now have a Springfield Micro Compact Lt Wgt BiTone for my main carry piece, yes it's a handfull with defense loads in it but it is certainly manageable a set of good grips help it considerably I put Pachmyer signature wrap arounds on it and it made a world of difference.
    I have to say that that was a very, very nice anniversary present!

Quote Originally Posted by jualdeaux View Post
    I have to say that that was a very, very nice anniversary present!
    Ditto! I'll have to mention that to my young bride. We've got an anniversary coming up, too!
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Links