1911 - SA or Colt

This is a discussion on 1911 - SA or Colt within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've caught the 1911 bug. I've heard/read opinions on SA and Colt. There are (of course) passions for both, but would like your views. Anything ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1911 - SA or Colt

1911 - SA or Colt

I've caught the 1911 bug. I've heard/read opinions on SA and Colt. There are (of course) passions for both, but would like your views. Anything you can offer would be most appreciated.

2. Remove Ads

I have both and both are good choices the colt uses less MIM though

Sorry, dumb question, but what is MIM? And why is it a major consideration?

Metal injection molding

If its done good its as good as forged if not well

and its hard to tell till the part lasts or breaks kimber has had a problem with mim for a long time

I will say on my springer and colt i have never had any of the stock mim fail

I've shot a SA 1911 before. I would buy one (if kimber didn't make guns :) ). A co-worker has a colt. he's had problems with the rear adjustable sight and has a lot more FTF/FTE than with some other 1911's. I'd go for SA if I were you but both seem decent.

Another question (sorry) what is FTE/FTF?

failure to eject/failure to feed

edit: FTE can also mean failure to extract. Same thing as eject i guess, just a different word.

Well, I own two 1911 pattern pistols. One Colt and one SA. Both are good and I'm happy with both. The Colt took a little more tweeking to make me happy but nothing big. Any reputable maker has good days and bad and I've seen folks with guns perfect out of the box and guns that had to go back from all makers. Drool over all of 'em and then go for your favorite!
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

VIP Member
    I actually prefer SA 1911s, but there is just something about having an honest to God Colt 1911.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Historical comparison

While individual guns will vary in performance and quality, the historical reputation of the two companies, Colt and Springfield, is probably relevant to your decision.

Colt has been making guns since the 1850's or so, and has been making the 1911 version since 1911. At one time Colt was the only significant producer of 1911s, and was considered the premier handgun manufacturer in the world, with the possible exception of Smith and Wesson. In the last 25 years or so Colt has had some difficulties with management and competition from other companies, and their position has slipped. But they still exist in somewhat reduced scope, and still produce some excellent guns. I have a number of Colts and think the company's quality is generally excellent. I detect that they are making a gradual comeback.

Springfield is a newer company that was founded in the 1980's in Illinois, and which licensed the right to use the name "Springfield Armory" from the US Government. The company has no direct connection with the old Springfield Armory run by the government. Springfield went into the 1911 business to compete with Colt, and offered a similar product at lower price, making use of foreign manufacturing to lower costs. Many of the major components of Springfield 1911s have been made in Brazil. Springfield's historical quality reputation is not as good as Colt's, but the company has been trying to improve upon this with some high end 1911 models that are very carefully manufactured, and sell in the $1,400 price range. But most of the product line is priced slightly below that of Colt.

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    Granted Springfield does not have the history of Colt they do offer
    life time warranty with purchase of their pistols.I have a 1911 and
    I have it because everyone should have one in their collection.
    As far as manufacters go Colts are over priced for what they are
    and add to they will not sell some of their products to general public
    wonder why?Too bad American owned company!

Lew
    The customer service at Springfield is awesome. I called to purchase a key for the ILS (internal locking system) as I had miss placed it. The customer service agent (can't remember his name) said no you can't buy them. I actually froze and started to stammer as he said, but I will send you a set for free. I gave him my mailing address and 3 days later, I had 2 new keys and 2 new springfield american flag stickers. I was impressed. He did chuckle as I stammered too. Afterwards, I laughed too.
    There are 2 types of people, victims and the prepared. I choose to be prepared....

"Bless thee, O Lord, This handgrenade, that it may blow thine enemies to bits. Amen" ~Monty Python's Holy Grail

My Blazer Website

My new, Unofficial Cam and Company Fan site.

Thank you all for your responses, I appreciate it.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I am late to the thread , but imho if you want a bragging point to your buddys get the colt , other than that select according to how many " mudflaps " for what price .. IE which provides more features that you have identified as needed for the $$ involved . It may be colt can fulfill this , it may be springer .

Edited to add :

MIM parts have been a " bugaboo " for years , and for good reason . Nowdays tho they can cast parts better than they used to . Are forged and milled parts "better " YES without a doubt . They also drive price up , and casting quality has changed almost as fast as computers . Nowdays i worry more about overall fit , finish , and tolerances than i do about a part being MIM .
    Last edited by Redneck Repairs; April 23rd, 2007 at 02:09 PM.
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

I am not impressed with a life time warranty for a firearm. I am impressed with a firearm that will not need a life time warranty. If you need the firearm and it does not work where is the life time warranty. Kimber, SA , Tarius, have cut too many corners and their quality control is not that good. Colt on the other hand has greatly improved their QC and the newer Colts I have are well built and very finely fitted. I do replace the MIM parts with Wilsons "Bullet Proof" parts.
    Having an engineering degree I must say MIM parts DO NOT have the same intregrity of forged parts. They are 98% as dense and in a life or death situation I do not want to be worrying about the 2%. Then there is the issue of application. While a concrete divng board platform would be fine a concrete diving board would not be fine. Cot used to make their extractors (which flex like a diving bd.) from MIM but because of breakages they stopped 3 years ago. Definitely certain parts should not be MIM be KImber and others still use MIM to save money. I would imagine they figure most of the breakages will be at the range and not on the streets so it is not a major problem to them legally.
    Maybe someone can correct me if I am wrong but I believe that the SA Tacticals that went to the FBI did not have MIM parts but the SA Tacticals that go to the civilians do have them?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links