Big thighs and pocket carry... is it feasible?

This is a discussion on Big thighs and pocket carry... is it feasible? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been looking into small, 9mm semi-autos for those extremely hot summer days. I carry a G19, but I know that when it's above 90 ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree62Likes

Thread: Big thighs and pocket carry... is it feasible?

I've been looking into small, 9mm semi-autos for those extremely hot summer days. I carry a G19, but I know that when it's above 90 degrees with high humidity I'm going to want to carry something lighter & thinner. Ideally I would like to carry something in my pockets so that I could go shirtless when I want to.

The problem is that I have pretty large thighs. I'm in my 20s so I don't wear very loose clothing, but I don't wear skinny jeans either. I squat 3x per week and most of my shorts and pants are tight on me. Some of my shorts are tight enough in the thighs that you can see every outline of whatever is in my pocket. Printing isn't illegal in my state but it's a no-no for me personally.

My question is: is pocket carry a realistic option for me? Anyone else in the same boat? I've been watching review videos of the Kahr CM9 and it looks like a nice little gun, but if pocket carry is out the window anyway I'm more interested in a G43 or a Shield.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member
    Loose pants thighs and large pockets are critical for successful pocket carry and deployment. If you can't get there from here, you will likely have a tough time with pants pocket carry.
    “I can explain it to you, but I can't comprehend it for you.”

Ed Koch

You can dress around the gun(s) or get a gun to fit the way you dress.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Still a "slave to fashion" huh? Big thighs & tight clothes? Well, I can't imagine a shirtless Earl Campbell concealing a handgun very easily in a pair of Bike Coaches Polyester Shorts. Soooo, IMHO, there's a compromise to be made...SOMEwhere. Maybe, Thunderwear?
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Diamondback db9 is about the smallest 9 I have seen. I don't own one but I pocket carry a Sccy 9 easily in cargo shorts and cargo long pants. You have to compromise a little bruh or carry a pocket knife and be happy with that.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Micro .380 like the LCP plus a pocket holster with an anti print panel. Will look like a wallet or phone. I also have large thighs.
    The number of people killed because they didn't have "enough gun" is dwarfed by those who had none at all.

Lead Moderator
    Using a good pocket holster will go a long way to hiding the profile.

I use a Kydex one on my thigh and the profile of it looks no different than a wallet. The outside of the holster is basically flat so that is doesn't look like the profile of a gun.
    DogWalksWithMe likes this.
    Universal Background Checks...the next step towards registration and confiscation.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I use the desantis nemesis or super fly pocket holsters.

Coming from a stoutly built man, like yourself, who has legs like a friggin' horse, the answer is a large NO for pocket carry! I have a smallish waist, 32", and most pants or shorts you find for that size person are tailored for people with chicken legs. I don't wear great baggy cargo jeans, this ain't '98, but even in jeans labeled 'regular' and 'loose' fitting I can struggle just to get my wallet and keys out of my pocket sometimes at the store! Forget ever retrieving a firearm under stress, I don't care if it's in a pocket holster or not. I'm sticking with AIWB for my carry needs.

Good luck fellow squat man!

I wear loose fitting jeans and pocket carry every day. Sometime you can see the outline that looks like my wallet in my front pocket. you can always wear cargo shorts or pants and use the side pocket.
    Marine Corps 75-79
    NRA
    Florida Carry
    CCW SAFE
    Colt, Sig, S&W, Browning, Remington

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    Still a "slave to fashion" huh? Big thighs & tight clothes? Well, I can't imagine a shirtless Earl Campbell concealing a handgun very easily in a pair of Bike Coaches Polyester Shorts. Soooo, IMHO, there's a compromise to be made...SOMEwhere. Maybe, Thunderwear?
    I wouldn't say I'm a slave to fashion, but I care about how I dress. Cargo pants are as much as a NO for me as skinny jeans are for OFWGs. I dress around my G19 AIWB with almost no inconvenience, but I'm having a hard time fathoming pocket carry unless super baggy pants make a comeback. The Earl Campbell part made me chuckle. I'm not THAT big haha.

Quote Originally Posted by DustyBottoms View Post
    Coming from a stoutly built man, like yourself, who has legs like a friggin' horse, the answer is a large NO for pocket carry! I have a smallish waist, 32", and most pants or shorts you find for that size person are tailored for people with chicken legs. I don't wear great baggy cargo jeans, this ain't '98, but even in jeans labeled 'regular' and 'loose' fitting I can struggle just to get my wallet and keys out of my pocket sometimes at the store! Forget ever retrieving a firearm under stress, I don't care if it's in a pocket holster or not. I'm sticking with AIWB for my carry needs.

Good luck fellow squat man!
    I'm in the exact same boat unfortunately. I wear 34" waist pants that say "regular" or "straight leg" and you can clearly see my iPhone when I'm sitting. Standing not so much, but it's not very quick getting the phone out of my pocket.

Maybe try a wallet-type holster in a back pocket.
    Peace, commerce and honest friendship with all nations; entangling alliances with none. ~Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by OlympicViking View Post
    ... I don't wear very loose clothing, but I don't wear skinny jeans either. I squat 3x per week and most of my shorts and pants are tight on me. Some of my shorts are tight enough in the thighs that you can see every outline of whatever is in my pocket.
    That pretty much kills those particular pants for pocket carry, yes.

Which means: either select a more-suitable wardrobe that has the space and drape sufficient to accommodate the added shape you'd be stuffing in there, and/or lean up those legs.

Don't overlook colors and patterns, either. With shirts and covering garments, there are lots of variations to choose from, in that area. With pants, not so much. Which means you'll mostly be relying on proper pants sizing to accommodate the overall girth. Don't forget that it'll matter with respect to just standing there as well as while you're moving, bending over, squatting down, etc. Gotta have room enough for all of that, both for avoiding "printing" and for comfort.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: Why the Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    Yes. With bigger pants than you have thighs.
    Rowe/Higgins 2016!

If you want to pocket carry .You will need to make changes in your dress . Other wise it won't work. What the big deal little looser pants that don't show pistol . I bet most people here had to change something when started to carry.
    “Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, make violent revolution inevitable.” John F. Kennedy.

come visit me at my home www.bersachat.com or http://www.metroarms1911forum.com

1911's forever !!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links