what should i buy?

what should i buy?

This is a discussion on what should i buy? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey. I am looking into buying my first pistol and would like to hear everyones opinion. I am a fairly light weight female and since ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: what should i buy?

what should i buy?

Hey. I am looking into buying my first pistol and would like to hear everyones opinion.
    I am a fairly light weight female and since i want to use it for both a daily shooter and possible concealed carry, im thinking a 9mm would be best. i can shoot a 45 ok but id like something a little lighter.
    anyways. the ones im currently looking at are:
    - kimber tacticle pro II
    - hk (maybe usp compact)
    - springfield xd (not sure which yet)

but i am open to any suggestions.
    I would like a good reliable gun and am willing to spend the $ on it (although if i can find a cheaper one thats just as good of course id rather do that)
    the only gun i have yet to handle that i havent liked are the glocks. just doenst feel right in my hands.
    with that said. please, anyone who has the above guns listed please tell me as much about them as possible or if u think another gun is right for me let me know
    thanks!

I love my kahr PM-9. Light enough for carry, yet shoots very well. 9mm ammo is affordable (right now). Lots of options for holsters. I have nightsights on mine and I love them. There are lots of other options, like maybe the new S&W MP9 Compact. Good luck.

Assistant Administrator
    As an economy move even if a shade heavier than some - the Bersa UC-9 is worthy of consideration IMO. Or if you want to spend more go to one of the smaller SIGs, 239, 229 etc.

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Wherever there's fried chicken or barbecue
    I"m in a similar situation and am strongly leaning towards the Walther P99.
    Pitmaster

HELGA: Where are you going?
    HAGAR: To sign a peace treaty with the King of England.
    HELGA: Then why take all those weapons?
    HAGAR: First we gotta negotiate...

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    I'd recommend an XD9 Subcompact, or one of those smaller 1911 style pistols in 9mm.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I would only suggest that you find a rental range and try out the handguns that intrest you . I do realise that not everyone has a rental range handy since the closest one to me is about 4 hours drive time . Howeaver a weekend in Denver during which i can take care of other business is cheaper than buying the wrong gun for me . In all fairness i should point out that i am a self admitted " gun trader " and seldom take my own advise on this issue since a " lemon " for me is lemonaid for others .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

I too, have never like the glocks. I found that the XD9SC just loves my hand. Buy something you have shot and like, but I'd encourage you not to buy anything without trying the XD. XD Bonus: From 10+1 concealed to 16+1 for the bedside, just by changing mags.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Welcome to the forum friesepferd! I don't have experience with the models you listed.

H&K or Kimber

Of the 3 candidates you mentioned, I am most familiar with the Kimber Pro and the H&K USP compact, as I own these two, but not in the 9mm caliber you mentioned. My Kimber is .45 and my USP compact is .40.

I think either of these brands are an excellent choice, so it comes down to personal preference and fit in your hand. Since you mentioned concealed carry, I would point out that the grip on a Kimber Pro is full length, and sometimes difficult for a smaller person like you to conceal without printing when you sit down or bend at the waist. Kimber Pros are also a little heavier than the polymer guns you mentioned, going about 28 ounces empty, as they have a metal frame instead of lighter polymer.

Since you are open to H&K products in 9mm, I would actually recommend the company's newer P2000SK model in that caliber. This is a very compact gun that is thinner than the older USP line and has a short grip that may be less likely to print.

H&K P2000SK website

how are the subcompacts (specifically HK and XD) as far as a range gun? im lucky and am at a university where i can go down to the range and shoot as much as i want 2x a week for free and id like to take advantage of this (i can rent 22 cals for free there too but i want me own gun that i can shoot there as well)
    are the subcompacts enough gun that i can shoot them comfortably for a while? i understand theres always a triad off between hide-ability and shoot-ability. im looking for something in btwn.
    thanks for your posts so far. keem em commin

I like the xd's for new shooters, lots of safety features like loaded chamber indicator ect... Sounds like you have chosen 9mm, now you need to set a budget and handle all the weapons you can. The guns you named are all fine guns, you just have to find the one that fits your hand the best. You can get clip extenders for most guns to make the subs. fit your hand better. You also need to think about concealment. Lots to consider only you can make the choice. Whatever you choose, practice often. Good luck.

IMO I would go with a .40. That is what I chose b/c you get the extra punch, and the recoil is manageable enough that even my wife enjoys shooting it. I also agree with the above posts that you should find something that fits your hand and shooting style. Personally I have a SW40VE that I love to carry and shoot. I have never had any problems with any ammo, but other people have. Go with what works for you. Once you decide on the gun, take it to the range with no less than 500 rds and let it eat!!

Range use

Quote Originally Posted by friesepferd View Post
    How are the subcompacts (specifically HK and XD) as far as a range gun? Are the subcompacts enough gun that i can shoot them comfortably for a while? I understand there is always a trade off between hide-ability and shoot-ability. I'm looking for something in between.
    The H&K P2000SK in 9mm is about 21 ounces empty and the grip is long enough for all fingers to fit on it. I think it is easy to shoot at the range, putting a couple of hundred rounds through it at one time. The recoil of 9mm is fairly mild compared to .40 or .45, and I don't think you would have any trouble handling it.

Shooting your carry and self defense gun at the range is always a good idea, even if it is on the small side. It is best to be completely familiar with the gun and how it shoots for you.

The best advice is probably to go to a range that rents the particular guns you are considering and give them a test drive.

In 9mm don't forget about the Springfield EMP. Are you comfortable carrying a 1911 style weapon in condition 1 (cocked & locked)? If not, I'd recommend something more along the XD subcompact or the Kahr line.
    Kimber Ultra Carry - CT Lasergrips
    Glock 19, 21SF, 29
    KelTec P3AT
    Built M4 Carbine - My Evil Black Rifle

Personally I would keep away from the newer Kimbers as their quality control has really gone down hill and there have been a lot of talk about problems with their use of MIM ( hammer, sear, slide stop, etc that are not forged but made with a lower quality process called (Metal Injection Molding) MIM. I have several friends who had failures with these parts and their Kimbers. Most of the other manufacturers including Colt use MIM but not to the same degree. Colt stopped using MIM extractors about 3 years ago because of breakages. MIM does have its place. We all know concrete is very strong in compression but you would not want a concrete diving board as this would be a misuse of the material. Same with MIM -its good point is it is cheap to make fitted parts, not good for the buyer.
    In anycase, Sig has a new light weight .45 compact model, the 220C which is an excellent gun. Next I would go for the HK compact models if they fit your hand. Nothing wrong with the scandium(sp?) ultra light weight SW .357's where you can use the 38 special and 357. No chance of jams with a revolver.
    Nice to hear from a woman who does not want to be a victim.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links