Taurus PT99

This is a discussion on Taurus PT99 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello Everyone, My friend wants to buy a Taurus PT99. I don't know much about the gun. Does anyone have any info or opinions on ...

Thread: Taurus PT99

Taurus PT99

Hello Everyone,

My friend wants to buy a Taurus PT99. I don't know much about the gun. Does anyone have any info or opinions on the gun? I would greatly appreciate any input. Thanks.

Bkuz
    This line was made famous by the Clint Eastwood character Inspector (Dirty) Harry Callahan in the 1983 film Sudden Impact, "Go on punk, make my day".

2. Remove Ads

Wonderful guns. They're closely based on the Beretta P92 and it's variants (Taurus bought their plant in Brazil and continued making the guns under license - then began making changes/updates/upgrades) They are quite reliable, of good to high quality, and very accurate. They are generally cheaper than Berettas as well. Some prefer them over the Beretta original - I know others who have both.

The latest model out is the PT917 - one of my favorite handguns:

Clint
    Kansas - The original Old West
    Open Skies - Long Vistas

Thank You

Kansas Plainsmain,

Thank you for your input. The PT917 is a very sharp looking weapon. Do you own one?

Bkuz
    This line was made famous by the Clint Eastwood character Inspector (Dirty) Harry Callahan in the 1983 film Sudden Impact, "Go on punk, make my day".

The picture is of my 917. I'm normally a compact/subcompact shooter - but I've been impressed with the Taurus PT92 line for years, and my dealer got this one in, and I decided that it would serve as a home protection gun. At least that's the excuse.

A very comfortable and very accurate shooter. Mechanism is silky and the trigger is quite good. SA mode is wonderful.
    Clint
    Kansas - The original Old West
    Open Skies - Long Vistas

I recently got one and I love it. It shoots great and is very similar to the Berretta. I would highly recommend it for quality, accuracy and price.

The first semi-auto I ever bought was way back in 1989 and it was a Ruger P85. I traded it to a buddy of mine who had a Taurus PT92 (same gun as PT99-different sights) it was one of the best guns I ever owned! I wish I still had it! It was the style BEFORE the decocker! Awesome piece! If they are as good today as they were back then - BUY IT!

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    Actually if given the choice of a Beretta M9 (92F) of a Taurus PT99....I would choose the Taurus. Its built on the "old" Beretta design and allows for cocked and locked carry. The one I bought years ago was carried alot and shot alot and worked just fine.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

I own a Taurus PT99AFD and I can say it is a very reliable gun. I have owned it since 1992. It is the decocker model.

It has digested everything I have put thru it and never a problem that was due the gun. I did have problems with factory reloads once, but as long as it is factory ammo, it runs fine. The problem I had was with a squib round, the gun cycled, but the previous bullet did not clear the barrel all the way and on the next shot the gun burped(best way to describe it), and the gun locked back and wouldnt cycle after that. I left well enough alone and took it to my local gun shop and he put it back together for me, never a problem with the gun since. No more reloads for me, factory or not.

Even after all these years it still runs fine, completed a tactical pistol course last fall and it went the whole class with no hiccups(400+ rnds). Not bad for a 15 yr old gun.

my 2p
    SY

Links