Springfield XD9 Advice - Page 2

Springfield XD9 Advice

This is a discussion on Springfield XD9 Advice within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; i carry my xd9sc most of the time since ive had it the past few weeks i have a service9 i carry in the winter ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Springfield XD9 Advice

i carry my xd9sc most of the time since ive had it the past few weeks i have a service9 i carry in the winter months and is my home protection , have you considered the 45 compact xd? youll have both the compact with the 10 round mag in ( the pistols butt is the hard part to conceal) and put in the supplied 13 round mag with the xd gear cover and you have a service size grip 2 guns in one.
    Well hell yes its dangerous if it wasnt i wouldnt be carrying it!
    Beretta PX4 40sw
    SR9
    PF9
    Sig mosquito 22
    Keltec p3at

I think that the comfort depends on the holster you have. I have a High Noon tuckable IWB that has the foward cant on it. I am still kinda "breaking it in", but it really isn't too bad. I haven't really worn it for an extended period of time because my boss declared no guns at work (even though he drinks and drives w/o a license and had his license taken away and went to jail for 60 days after 3 DUIs at age 34....... different discussion there...).

I have found it is comfortable even tho my waistband with the gun in it is a little tight (34" waist). Gives me inspiration to get back into shape... I'm in shape now, but ROUND isn't a good one to be in :p

I am looking at getting an XD9sc for summer carry, though.

Hi Hawk,

I am getting an XD9sc to replace my SP101 as back-up to my Glock 23. I got to finally shoot the XD at an indoor range last week and am sold on it. I like the extra features it has over the Glock like the striker status indicator and the loaded chamber indicator as well as the grip safety of the 1911.

I am into polymer frames these days for several reasons, not the least of which is weight. I found myself leaving my all steel Para P-12 or Colt Officers at home more and more because of weight and that was just plain unacceptable.

I can't see how you could go wrong with the XD. I will probably get one for the wife as well so she can replace her SP101.

As for holsters... Wow... I don't know, there are so many that are great to really recommend. CCW has created a real boom in holster industry.

I am currently waiting for my new Aker Nightguard that is a leather concealment rig that allows for me to keep my Insight M3 light attached to my Glock 23. Not so long ago, holsters for guns with lights attached were only available in Tactical Holsters. (alas, my holster is on backorder until June).

I used to have Ruger P345 .45 Auto that was a Boat Anchor and a piece of crap.
    I traded it in for $200 and put that towards my XD9 SubCompact.
    I wear it in a Don Hume 711 Holster.
    I have shot and carried several Guns, but this one is my favorite of all time.
    It's extremely accurate and light.
    XD9SC, S&W 637
    Taurus 85, SKS
    Nevada CCW
    Utah CCW

I've shot and liked the XD compact, but I don't own one. Good choice on the Andrews Mc D II. I have one for my Kahr K 40 & love it. Hard to beat for the price, quality & comfort.

So I was browsing the Springfield website earlier today and I saw some options for a custom XD. In the XD Carry package they offer a "combat action job" and overtravel adjustment added to the trigger. I’m wondering what exactly this does and if anyone else has had this done to their XD? Will it affect reliability, etc? I’m use to the short single-action trigger of my 1911.

Mojoski: That’s actually a great idea. I’ve drive a Jeep so I’m sure I can find some place under the dash for a mount, as I probably won’t be wearing the XD gear holster myself.

Monsterdawg: I’m not really looking for another 45 since my carry is a CQB compact (compact 1911 w/ officer grips). I’m interested in the nine b/c of the lighter recoil which will appeal to my fiancée and the cheaper ammo which will give me a little be more range time. I can’t get into reloading yet since I have absolutely no room for reloading equipment. Looking forward to getting a good set-up when I finally move into a house.

I’m going to try and rent a compact but I’m not sure if the local range has one. I’ll probably end up with the service-size grip since I’ll only be carrying the XD occasionally.

Everyone: Thanks for all the tips on holster options – I’m just going to have to try some different ones out and see what fits.

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    If you want it to be more "1911-ish" then by all means go with SA's combat job. Personally, I'm fine with it the way it is. Seeing as the work is being done by the manufacturer, I wouldn't have any questions regarding the quality of work or reliability.

i have the compact. concealment was my priority (summer carry, no jacket) but of course you can't sacrifice performance. i feel i have both with the XD9. i'm even using an IWB holster with it and i'm usually uncomfortable with them.
    What's this button do?

Quote Originally Posted by alpinehawk View Post
    So I was browsing the Springfield website earlier today and I saw some options for a custom XD. In the XD Carry package they offer a "combat action job" and overtravel adjustment added to the trigger. I’m wondering what exactly this does and if anyone else has had this done to their XD? Will it affect reliability, etc? I’m use to the short single-action trigger of my 1911.

A trigger job should not affect reliability. I have over 5000 rounds through my XD since the trigger job was done.

I had a trigger job done by Rich at Canyon Creek. He is an expert on the XDs. The turn around time is usually about a week. My XD trigger has very little pre-travel, no over-travel, very, very little creep, and the reset is only about 1/8 inch trigger movement. The trigger is very close to a very good 1911 trigger. http://www.canyoncreekcustom.com/

Springer Precision is also a very good place to have a trigger job done at. His turn around time is very fast, usually 2-3 days. http://www.springerprecision.com/

There are now some drop in parts for the XD trigger group available. There are sear and sear springs and very soon there will be a new trigger bar available too. With these drop in parts the trigger is supposed to be very close to a full custom trigger job.

Check out http://www.xdtalk.com

You will find out all the info on the drop in parts there. And lots of great XD related stuff too.

If you are interested in what the Canyon Creek trigger job feels like, PM me and we can meet up at a range and you can try mine.
    Firearms Academy of Seattle FAS-2 Graduate X2
    Firearms Academy of Seattle FAS-4 Graduate X2

So I went to the range with my fiancee and rented an XD9 compact. Glad I did this b/c it told me three things. 1) I love the XD 2) I prefer the service model because the grip on the compact is just too small - I don't like the feeling of my pinky floating. and 3) I've got to learn the trigger unless I decide to get a custom trigger job. My groups were low compared to my 45 on the same target. My fiancee was on target though, which surprised me since she is use to shooting my 1911 as well.

But my main problem now is that I want an XD9 service in bitone (black frame, stainless slide) but they are in very short supply. The local gun shop told me they had a guy waiting since last summer for one :( I don't mind waiting but it would be nice if I could get my hands on one sooner.

But my main problem now is that I want an XD9 service in bitone (black frame, stainless slide) but they are in very short supply. The local gun shop told me they had a guy waiting since last summer for one :( I don't mind waiting but it would be nice if I could get my hands on one sooner.
    You could buy one with the black slide and have the slide refinished. I had mine refinished at the same time the trigger job was done.

Here is my XD-9 Service with a custom knife.

Firearms Academy of Seattle FAS-2 Graduate X2
    Firearms Academy of Seattle FAS-4 Graduate X2

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    So I went to the range with my fiancee and rented an XD9 compact. Glad I did this b/c it told me three things. 1) I love the XD 2) I prefer the service model because the grip on the compact is just too small - I don't like the feeling of my pinky floating. and 3) I've got to learn the trigger unless I decide to get a custom trigger job. My groups were low compared to my 45 on the same target. My fiancee was on target though, which surprised me since she is use to shooting my 1911 as well.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...?Item=71163788

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...?Item=71284333

http://www.impactguns.com/store/706397865849.html

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...?Item=70924192

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...?Item=70913204

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...?Item=71322741

They're out there!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links