Springfield XD9 Advice

Springfield XD9 Advice

This is a discussion on Springfield XD9 Advice within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Before I get to the topic of my post I want to thank you all for helping me select my main carry over a year ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Springfield XD9 Advice

Springfield XD9 Advice

Before I get to the topic of my post I want to thank you all for helping me select my main carry over a year ago when I first started reading these forums. While I haven't posted I have been a regular reader and now its time to change that.

I settled on the 45 for my main carry because I had the most experience shooting it and I prefer that round as a self defense round. Now I'm looking to buy a nine mainly for the cheaper ammo and because my fiancee prefers the lighter recoil. (But I also intend to occasionally carry it).

I'm really impressed with the XD, for one because it shares some similar design elements to the 1911 - especially the grip angle. I had the opportunity to pick one up at the local shop and it feels good in my hand. I'd like to shoot it before I make a final decision though.

Anyway - for the XD owners out there, I've got some questions for you:

- How does the XD service model conceal? Specifically, does the service model conceal well or would you recommend the compact.

- Any thoughts on reliability? I'm impressed that SA backs up the XD with a lifetime warranty

- What are some good holster options? - (I prefer to carry IWB strong side) Right now I use an Andrews MacDaniel II for my CQB.

Thanks for the advice.

XD9 Service Model

I have two XD9s. A service model and a XD9sc. The XD9sc does conceal better because the grip is shorter. However I carried the 4" service model for a year before I bought the sub-compact. Both pistols shoot very well. My favorite holster is by Comp-Tac, an IWB model they call the C-TAC. Because I bought this holster for the 4" service model it will carry both pistols. I did adjust the tension on the holster for the XD9sc. I had to loosen the tension because the XD9sc is .05 wider than the service model. You will like the XD it is a great pistol.

-- Richard
    "A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does, he needs it very badly!" -- Sir Winston Churchill

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    I carry a 4" (service) XD-40 every day, and have had no problems concealing it comfortably. I carry it OWB, but the holster pulls the butt of the gun in nice and tight. I'd imagine IWB would conceal even better.

See attachments for the XD45 4" and how it conceals - I'm 6'3" and 192lbs. That's a size small polo on me there, too...
    Attached Images

UncleSam, interesting magazine on the bottom shelf there.

Anyway, get an XD, I'm a recent convert myself. I can't offer any advice on the 4" as I went with the SC, it is a great gun.

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by unclesam099 View Post
    See attachments for the XD45 4" and how it conceals - I'm 6'3" and 192lbs. That's a size small polo on me there, too...
    First of all that thing is next to invisible, so good jorb, second now I feel a bit portly as I am 5'5" and 197lbs..
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

I have an XD-40. I have no problem cocealing the 4" frame. I love it. I now have over 8000 rounds through her no problems. go for it, you will be very happy with that gun.
    "May God have mercy on my enemies, because I won't."
    General George Patton

I have an XD-9 Service that I carry everyday. I have no problems concealing it but I'm used to carrying a service size gun. My previous EDC gun is a Beretta 92F Compact, I carried that gun every day for over 17 years.

My XD has been very reliable. I have used it in 4 (5 after this next weekend) defensive handgun classes and 2 IDPA matches. I have over 6000 rounds through it without any major problems.

With my XD I use a Kramer IWB #3 or a Kramer Belt Scabbard holster.
    Last edited by Damon; April 23rd, 2007 at 10:33 PM.
    Firearms Academy of Seattle FAS-2 Graduate X2
    Firearms Academy of Seattle FAS-4 Graduate X2

I can't speak much about concealability, but I can speak for reliability.

I've got over 13,000 rounds through my XD9 Service. I have never had any jams except with Wolf ammo. I'll get a few FTE's after 200 rounds of it. Never had any problems with any other cheap ammo (WWB, S&B, etc...) and I've been as high as 500 rounds in a single range session.

I haven't got my CHL yet, but I have started evaluating concealment options. I'm 6'1" and stocky. It easily conceals under a T-shirt with a cheap Uncle Mike's IWB holster. I'd go with a better holster for daily carry though (mainly for comfort).

I hope this helps.
    "To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

SIC VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM.

Ex Member Array one eyed fatman's Avatar
    I put 8000+ rounds through my sub 9 with no problems. I now carry the 45 Tac in the Answer holster covered only with my t shirt.

I've only shot about 1,200 rds thru mine, but no probs at all, no FTF, no FTE nothing! Ive shot like 5 different makes of ammo thru it.

I have the sub compact and my friend has the regular one, mine is s bit wider but the short grip makes it easy to conceal. I use a Smart carry and Crossbread Supertuck for IWB. I think that the regular model w/ a grip chop...like the .45 compact would be the best for concealment.

Thanks for all the feedback. I'm glad to hear its a reliable gun as that should be a top priority in a carry (even a infrequent one).

Jchoo & unclesam099: Looks good, no visible printing at all. Can either of you comment on the comfort of the XD as a carry?

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Put it this way - I'm a big guy (5'11", 275lb currently - working on that part though), and I don't even notice it's there most of the time, unless I have to shift it to sit down in my car. The magazine carrier I wear at 4 o'clock is far more uncomfortable, since it constantly stabs me. I've actually found that wearing my gun closer to 8:30/9:00 is nearly as concealable, and FAR more comfortable for me during work and day to day activities. However, I still push it back on my belt when I sit in my car, so I'm leaning against the entire grip, not just the butt.

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    I own two XD's a .45 and a 9mm. both service models. I have recently pruchased the xd9 and only have around 500 rounds through it, but the 45 I have had about a year, and have over 2000 rounds through it. I am a 1911 guy at heart but these pistols have really impressed me! I carry them in a Max Con V by brommeland gun leather. I originally ordered it for the xd45 but the 9mm fits very well, just not quite as snug. great capacity, great reliability, and outstanding service from SA, although with these you probably won't need it.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

I carry my XD9SC every day and love it. It's a great little gun and easy to conceal. When I'm wearing thicker clothes in the winter, I use the longer magazine that holds 16rds, and in the summer I use the 10 rd mag with a pearce pinky extension.

You can't go wrong with an XD. Solid platform for CCW, in my opinion.

Also, check out the Crossbreed SuperTuck holster for a well priced solution for IWB carry. It is the most comfortable holster I've ever owned. I literally forget it is there sometimes.

Also, if you hunt around you can find the thread where I described mounting my XD Gear holster under my dash for an easier draw while on my daily commute. That was a nice plus, because the XD Gear holster is useless otherwise, in my opinion.

Good luck!
    Proud Georgia Firearms Licensee
    Springfield Armory XD-9 Subcompact
    Seecamp LWS32
    Browning Buckmark
    Walther P22
    Bersa Thunder 380

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links