Taurus DAO vs DA/SA?? - Page 2

Taurus DAO vs DA/SA??

This is a discussion on Taurus DAO vs DA/SA?? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I don't think I explained myself well, again. My experience with the Taurus, is the recent generation Mil Pro PT's. The one with a "Z" ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Taurus DAO vs DA/SA??

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    I don't think I explained myself well, again.

My experience with the Taurus, is the recent generation Mil Pro PT's. The one with a "Z" as the 2nd character of the serial number.

Those are DA w/o one in the chamber or if pulling the trigger (Restriking) on the same round. Otherwise, it's SA if the slide has been racked. I do not know about recent generation versions of Taurus's regular PT line.

Yes, the Taurus web site is dated. I have the most recent generation Mil Pro PT145 with rails in SS. I don't know when it was made, but it was originally bought on 01-30-07. It's SA/DA. It has a frame mounted safety & no decocker.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

Currently I own both a DA/SA Ruger P90 and a SA/DA Taurus PT111 Mil-Pro (3rd Gen). Needless to say before I got the Taurus I was pretty confused and thought that the SA/DA was just a typo by some folks. Now that I've owned both, I completely understand it because I could actually feel it. It's been explained above pretty well, but this is how I explained it to myself, and later, the wife.
    DA/SA - P90 - 1st round heavy trigger pull AND I could watch the hammer come back as I pulled, then drop. All subsequent rounds after cycling were much lighter.
    SA/DA - PT111 - tested with Snap-Caps: 1st round light trigger pull. Since the Snap-Cap doesn't cause the gun to cycle, the next trigger pull is much heavier. Cycle the gun and load 2nd Snap-Cap, trigger pull is once again light.

Carrying a SA/DA gun:
    Now, I was "comfortable" carrying the P90, as comfortable as one can be w/ a Rosie O'D. (read large, fat and heavy) gun in your drawers, with a round chambered, because I knew the first pull of the trigger was heavy, it had a safety/decocker and the holster retention strap went over the hammer holding it down. When I first got my Taurus, I was a bit skeptical to say the least. There was an external safety, BUT me being the paranoid yahoo I am, and there being no hammer to block or strap down, I just didn't trust IT or me to not accidently knock that single safety off. So, what I did, was carried it around for a week with a Snap-Cap in the chamber. Each night, when I got home from my daily routine, I would draw the gun from it's holster as practice and at the same time, make sure the safety was still on and that the first trigger pull was, in fact, a Single Action pull. Now the gun is carried with a round chambered since I can trust it to remain the way it's supposed to after going about my day to day activities.

So, if you're one that doesn't like the idea of Condition 1, (and I don't want to get into *that* debate) do what you need to do, but do what you can to trust your gun and KNOW it's not going to blow a hole in your leg.

-argh

Went to my local gun shop last night. Decided to try a mil pro for myself. I had to see what all this was about. I gotta say, "WOW"
    I really liked the trigger and now I understand why the Taurus DA/SA system is different. The short reset is great. With a little practice, I think someone could make really fast follow-up shots. I would carry it with the safety on. Just me.

How much did I like it? I had them order me one with a stainless slide.
    Last edited by cf2040; April 26th, 2007 at 10:44 AM. Reason: Spelling

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    Congratulations. I had wrote a my experience with the Mil Pro PT145 on another thread.

I had stated, & it's still true, that it's now my most accurate SD gun (Along with my Glock 36).

Once you get used to the trigger, especially the 1st shot (The long, un-weighted pull before you get resistance), it's great.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links