Votes: 2 3.3%
  • Springfield RO

Votes: 13 21.7%
  • Other

Votes: 14 23.3%

Sub-Compact CZ vs 1911 for EDC?

6K views 32 replies 29 participants last post by  SmoothJazz 
#1 ·
I've been working a lot of overtime hours as of late, so I have a little extra play money. I've always wanted a CZ and a 1911. I never owned either. I'm just interested in getting opinions on which I should purchase between the CZ Rami and a 1911 chambered in 9mm like the RIA Tac CS or the Springfield RO?

#2 ·
I voted RO

This is my very first 9mm 1911.
Out of the box accuracy is incredible, better than I can shoot.
Trigger a bit gritty and stagy, but I had a 4.5lb trigger job done locally, and an ambi safety installed to counter my lefty-ness.
The factory mags are.....meh, But Checkmate mags are running perfect.

Reactions: TeflonDon
#3 ·
TD ... There is really no wrong answer here as a good case can be made for going in either direction. I personally have both a CZ 2075 RAMI (9mm) and a Springfield 1911 (Micro-compact in .45acp) as part of my carry rotation and like both really well (guess I'm no help here :argue:). Good luck with your decision :smile:

#7 ·
Either will work well. It really depends on how you plan on carrying it. If you want to carry cocked and locked a 1911 is a better choice that the RAMI. While the RAMI is capable of being carried in that condition, it does have a very small safety lever and can be difficult to operate quickly. I carry mine in the DA/SA mode.

#8 ·
I carried a government 1911 for a while before switching to a cz p-07.

Completely different platform with the CZ DA/SA trigger, but I love it. More capacity, fairly light weight, and conceals easily. Rami seems like a fine gun. Never shot one though.

On summer days in shorts and t shirt I go with a sig p938. I still prefer SAO, but the cz just feels right for a carry gun. If it is for carry get the rami or smaller frame pistol. I found myself much more likely to carry all the time when I had a small option to be more discrete.

For a range toy only, 1911 by a mile.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

#11 ·
Unless im working I always carry a 1911.. I voted "other" because of your choices listed i'd go with the RO. The Rami doesn't interest me a all, i'd get a CZ p07 duty... (I have 3 of them).. The p07 has a slim grip, and all of mine just run and run. The RO is so much "prettier" and is built better than the p07. Flip a coin, or better yet, rent'em and see which one you like better. Im just glad that Glock wasn't one of your choices.........

#15 ·
Nice clean looking piece right there.

#18 ·
Rami or Springer RO? Kinda like Smart Car versus Impala!

Both are great guns. I haven't shot a Rami, but I have its big brother CZ-75B, and a Range Officer in 9mm. I like the all-steel guns, and having carried a 5-inch 1911 for years the weight isn't a problem with a decent carry rig. Both the CZ and the 1911 are more comfortable (for me at least) in an IWB then the Glocks and similar pistols. Both the Rami and the 9mm RO load 10+1, although you'll need aftermarket mags for the RO since the OEM mags only load 9 rounds.

The big differences - pardon me for being Captain Obvious here - are that the Range Officer as a full-size gun is close to a pound heavier than the Rami, and 2 inches longer. The RO is single action only, and the Rami is "traditional" double action but with the ability to carry in condition 1.

Just a comment on the Range Officer: I use mine for a weekly steel match where power factor is not a consideration, and 9mm is a tad cheaper and shot-to-shot recovery is faster then with the .45. But I wouldn't choose the RO as a full-time carry weapon, simply because that Bo-Mar-like rear sight can snag on clothing AND it's a flesh-ripper when you're doing a fast remedial action. Just this past week I had a rogue cartridge case hang up in the extractor (it was the case, folks, just a penalty for reloading range brass) and it took longer to clean dried blood off my magazines than to clean the gun itself. For a carry gun, I'd look at the Springers with combat rear sights.

#22 ·
That's an interesting question as I own a RAMI and a Kimber Ultra Aegis II which happens to be chambered in 9 MM. They are both amazing guns and I am equally comfortable shooting either gun. As I'm still fairly new to CCW, the RAMI has a de-cocker which gives me some comfort but the grips tear the heck out of my tire. The Kimber is thinner but holds a bit less ammo and some days I'm not quite comfortable cocked and locked. I say buy both!

#24 ·
In the ~6.5" OAL range, my own personal choice is the CZ 2075 RAMI BD 9mm. Fairly compact, fairly accurate, very reliable, and sufficient capacity. Not quite the punch of a .45ACP in similar barrel length, but a fine defensive sidearm. About the only thing with the CZ P-01, PCR, RAMI series of all-metal pistols is: they're a bit chunky, width-wise, given the double-stack magazines. Otherwise, fine sidearms.

#25 ·
I'd go SA RO Champion or similar. While the RIA is a good functional gun, the RO series has better fit and finish. For a little more money you can go Colt (if that's important to you). The other advantage of the 1911 is, if you decide later, the ability to have it customized to exactly what you want.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.