Polished blued slide?

This is a discussion on Polished blued slide? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Is it possible to polish a blued slide/parts? Specifically, my XDsc has an older slide with a melonite finish which Springfield told me was basically ...

Thread: Polished blued slide?

Polished blued slide?

Is it possible to polish a blued slide/parts? Specifically, my XDsc has an older slide with a melonite finish which Springfield told me was basically a blued treatment. I have an itch to modify somehow but am limited by my own cheapness. I do have meatl working experience, just wondered if anyone has ever done it or heard of it being done. Thank and God bless, HOLYROLLER.

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    Not sure re the XD - but seeing as bluing is a very thin layer, it does not take much to remove it.

I would draw a distinction between polishing, which might involve fine abrasive content such as jeweller's rouge and ........ buffing, which can be done with a fast rotating mop - where the only effect is from friction and some heat, giving usually a higher gloss and minimal removal effect if done with care.

Deep luster blue like Smith revo's used to have is from a hot cynaide bath process IIRC and is pretty durable but - it is in effect only a form of rust!. The XD process may involve different chemistry but possibly still be only a very thin layer.

Not sure how yours would respond to working on. Of course you could go back to bright metal and apply one of the Brownell's finish options - forget name of popular one but it is finally baked on I seem to recall.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Colt used to polish all of the pythons they made, even those destined to be blued. I think what you're asking is like asking a body shop to make your paint look better by doing prep work after the fact. You will need to re-apply your finish after polishing, and that's not really something I would want to consider on a budget.

Links