Bought new gun for wife today

This is a discussion on Bought new gun for wife today within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Took my wife out to the range again to have her try some guns. She found the Taurus 85 in 38 special to be very ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bought new gun for wife today

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar

Took my wife out to the range again to have her try some guns.

She found the Taurus 85 in 38 special to be very nice and controlable.

Even was able to place all bullets on the target at 25 yards. Not bad for shooting out a snub nose for the first time ever (grouping was about 12 inches or so on average out of 75 rounds with a tight grouping of about 5 inches with her last 5 rounds)

So she had found the gun of her dreams, problem was that they were out of stock of that particular model. But never fear they had the 605 .357 mag instead. She dry fired it, felt the weight and decided that she liked that one better since it could hold 2 types of ammo and the trigger pull was lighter.

Got a bit ripped on the price, but nothing too horribly bad. Stainless Steel, 5 shot DA/SA that she will most likely be able to shoot as well as the other one. Now to find some gadgets to go with.

As a side note they had another one with CT grips on it for about $50 more, when I asked her about it she was insulted. Said she didnt need no stinkin lasers....

Taking her to range again on Sunday, will be writing a report and hope to have some pictures up of her targets and the gun.

Best part is that I get to make my wife safe AND happy and get a free membership to the NRA. Everybody wins!
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    Congrats, still trying to get my wife to carry.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

Well for now she will be keeping it in her car (after I can buy a gun safe) But she was asking about the Carry permit today when I told her the requirements for the shooting. (7-15 yards from what I understand) Combine that with the fact that she can shoot that little snubby better than I ever could, (I prefer larger guns) and she is ready to go full steam now.

Thinking about slipping some 357 rounds in with her 38s to see how she handles the extra kick. Right now she is a bit scared of the recoil as she has heard so much about them being a heavy load.
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowsbane View Post
    Well for now she will be keeping it in her car (after I can buy a gun safe) But she was asking about the Carry permit today when I told her the requirements for the shooting. (7-15 yards from what I understand) Combine that with the fact that she can shoot that little snubby better than I ever could, (I prefer larger guns) and she is ready to go full steam now.

Thinking about slipping some 357 rounds in with her 38s to see how she handles the extra kick. Right now she is a bit scared of the recoil as she has heard so much about them being a heavy load.
    Good choice!
    I have a Taurus 651.

With the rubber boot grips I find that standard 158gr 357 loads
    are quite comfortable to shoot, due to it being an all steel gun.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Congrats on a very good choice by the wife.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Administrator
    As a side note they had another one with CT grips on it for about $50 more, when I asked her about it she was insulted. Said she didnt need no stinkin lasers....
    Thats a good girl ya got there!
    "Just blame Sixto"

Don't do it! If the recoil from that round DOES scare her, she could turn sour on the whole pistol! Let her get fully comfortable with .38 ammunition first. Then let her try some .357 if she wants to, but with her knowledge. Just my two cents, but it is based on experience with teaching four different women to use snubbie revolvers.

Senior Moderator
    I have a 605 myself and carry 38 +ps becuase of the recoil of .357s

For me the muzzle flip is bad with .357's I can put more rounds on target in less time with 38's

Just my experience
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

Well turns out that sadly the extra price of the .357 will stop us from trying them for a bit.

Bought the gun yesterday morning, and this morning found out that I will be going from 45 hrs/week to 5-10hrs/week. Due to a slowdown at work. And my wife will be out of a job entirely. So I have target rounds and nothing else for a while.

Thank you for the caution about the .357 muzzle flip ect. Probally is a smarter idea to go slowly.

Distinguished Member Array Haywood's Avatar
    Too bad you are not in Cleveland ,Ohio, I'd give you some 357 to try. I use 125 grain with Combat Taurus Grips and it handles good. Good Luck to you and your Lady and hang in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Haywood View Post
    Too bad you are not in Cleveland ,Ohio, I'd give you some 357 to try. I use 125 grain with Combat Taurus Grips and it handles good. Good Luck to you and your Lady and hang in there.
    Pic or link for the grips? I have the standard gri0ps that came on my 85 UL and the hogue grips.
    For MN specific carry information and a great shooting community, check out forum.twincitiescarry.com

VIP Member
    Just got my daughter a Rossi 351 ( made by Taurus )38 snubnose. Nice shooting gun.

I carry a Strum, Ruger .38 Special Cal. 5 shot snubbie. I love it. Hubby wants to get me a auto and he probably will, but I still love this revolver best. Be sure to get her a good purse to carry it in. Hubby got me one that has a special compartment for snubbie. Keeps the weapon away from purse junk and lint. It has a locking zipper which comes in handy when around the grandchild. When she gets her purse...be sure to take her to the range for her to practice drawing from her purse....until it becomes second nature. That is the secret to sucess for carrying from a purse. Have her review how she carrys her purse for security sake. Have her access her surroundings and develop her own tactics. She will never regret being prepared.

The Taurus snubbies are great guns, I have a 851. They are very heavy in the standard version and are more fun to shoot than the higher priced S&W airweights. Their weight absorbs recoil very well. Good choice.

Thank you for the idea about the purse. Currently since my wife is a college student she carries everything inside of her bookbag, and therefore no purse. It has turned out to be a great little gun for her, and since she has developed a sincere hatred for autos a good choice as well.

(I wrote a range report in another thread)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links