New S&W M&P IDPA shooting?

This is a discussion on New S&W M&P IDPA shooting? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey gang, Ok, so I have been looking for a new CC weapon and thought I had settled on the XD.45. I visited yet another ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New S&W M&P IDPA shooting?

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar

New S&W M&P IDPA shooting?

Hey gang,

Ok, so I have been looking for a new CC weapon and thought I had settled on the XD.45.

I visited yet another shop again yesterday and there happened to be a pistol smith there. He builds custom race guns, 1911's and revolvers.

We got to talking about CC weapons, shooting and IDPA. He shoots IDPA and ICORE and was very helpful/ knowledgeable. I was sold on the XD until the guy stick a M&P in my hand. Felt good. He was a fan of the M&P and had a few "facts" for me.

He said that the M&P was a faster gun then either the Glocks or the XD's. This was due to trigger reset travel. Less travel = faster follow up shots. Hope I explained that correctly. I am not fully versed in the mechanics. I'm not really worried about fast. It did look like it might conceal easier than a XD.

He also stated that the M&P was the gun that all other plactic gun wanted to be and that it was a runner. Feed it and feed it and it runs. Like a glock I guess.

I don't really take much stock in all of this info, but it did open my eyes to the M&P as a contender. I will have to shoot it and then make a decision. I looked online a saw prices from 450.00. That doesn't hurt either.

Here's where I'm at... I want / need a new CC weapon, but I want it to pull double duty. I want to have a dependable CC weapopn with enough power to stop a BG. On the other hand I want something cheaper than a .45 to shoot. I want to be able to shoot more for less. Right now I don't shoot nearly enough due to the high price of ammo and range time.

Now, I'm a .45 guy. Love the round and 1911's. I really don't want to carry/shoot a 9mm. I have this mental perception of the 9mm being a wimpy round. If I purchase a 9mm for CC I will have it loaded with Speers so that will help the stopping power.

I want to be able to shoot more and take some pistol clases.. maybe start shooting some IDPA. I don't want to sign up for a 350.00 class and then have to blow 650.00 on ammo for the class.

This week I plan to rent and shoot a 9mm and a .40 XD as well as a 9mm and .40 M&P. I will let you know what I think.

Ok, tell me what you think. Is the 9mm a good choice here?

I just don't want to make a bad choice and then selling my new CC weapon to Sixto to for 50 bucks.

Anyone shoot IDPA? How does the M&P rank?
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    LOL, I'll buy it for $50.!

I like 9mm, in particular if your going to do a lot of classes with it. Ammo does get a little spendy even when your buying it by the pallet.
    It does fine in SD roles too. I prefer .45 as well, but when I'm buying the ammo, its 9mm.

There are a few guys that shoot IDPA around here with a M&P, all are 9mm. It does well, but they all complain that there is little support for the gun. I dont buy that the gun is "faster" than the Glock, I dont think its trigger reset is shorter. I could be wrong, but it didnt seem shorter to me. It felt more like a Sig with a loooong reset.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    9mm is basically free for me...guess what I shoot? If you do end up with the M&P, make sure to give us a range report! They look like strong contenders right now, but it will take time to work the bugs out and make sure it is at least as good as its competitors.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Lead Moderator
    Buy a new model at your own risk. I have read a few accounts here on them, seem favorable. BUT new designs are just that, unproven till they see some use and real life handling.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Depending one what side of the bed I woke up that morning is what judges what caliber and gun I will be using for the day. It flips between 9mm and .40. I'm competent with both. However, when I strap on a 9mm I never ever feel outgunned or that I have something with me that is sub-par, or in adequate on the performance scale.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

He said that the M&P was a faster gun then either the Glocks or the XD's. This was due to trigger reset travel. Less travel = faster follow up shots. Hope I explained that correctly. I am not fully versed in the mechanics. I'm not really worried about fast. It did look like it might conceal easier than a XD.
    Just an FYI you can get a trigger job on the XD and greatly reduce the reset travel. The only thing I personally don't like on the XDs is the stock trigger, but once you fix that they are great!

Personally I have not had a chance to handle an M&P so I can't give you any input there. But I would personally only get one if I can get it without the mag disconnect, which heard you can.

Oh and if you are going .45 I would go with the XD for the 3 extra rounds per mag, again just IMO.
    Last edited by ShadeAngel; April 26th, 2007 at 12:55 PM.
    "You can't shake the devils hand and say you were only kidding"

Check out the M&P 40 Compact. Great CCW gun and with the mag grip extension I think you will be happy in IDPA too. They also have the 9MM in Compact too for cheaper ammo.

The M&Ps ROCK!!!!

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    Thx for the replies. I have been calling around getting ammo prices. looks like I can get a 1000 9mm S&B's for around 140.00. I have looked online, but the shipping really cuts in on the savings.

Anyone have any cheap ammo suppliers?

I may get to the range today and do some testing.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

Wally World is about the best. No shipping either. Though you might have to pay sales tax depending on where you live.

Blazer Brass for around $6.97 for 50 WWB $14.56 for 100 in 9mm

Or 100 WWB .40 S&W for $19.97

Administrator
    I just got back from the range and I shot a M&P 9mm and a G17 side by side... I might have to eat my words, the M&P did seem a little quicker on the reset.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I"ve had the opportunity to shoot the m&p. Its a good accurate weapon. I think you will do well to purchase one. You can also get it in .45 acp if you want.

I sure do like my M&P .40c!!

Ron

Shine on...
    S&W M&P 9c
    S&W 9 Shield
    Taurus Raging Bull .454 Casull
    S&W M&P15 Sport;
    Mossberg 590A1

I have handled a number of M&Ps and they do feel nice in the hand. I just have some problems with some of the features.

For example, I like the fact that I can use one tool to totally disassemble my glock. I can take the slide and receiver apart completely in minutes. the M&P uses roll pins to hold the receiver together. That pretty much negates taking the receiver apart on your own to replace anything. Plus, to take the slide apart all the way you have to remove the rear sights. What the hell did they make it like that for?

Then you have to decide if you want one with an internal lock and/or the mag safety. Personally, the more parts they add the greater the chance there is for something to go wrong.

And as for the trigger reset, I prefer the sharp click that my glock makes when the trigger resets. There is no sharp click of the reset on the M&Ps I've looked at. It feels kind of mushy and uncertain when i am releasing the trigger.

For me, what i see as negatives about the gun outweigh the positives. Other people think differently than me and that is just fine. it is all personal preference.

Recent write up the latest issue in Handgun magazine placed the MP on the top of heap against the Glock, XD & HK. I've not tried one, I'm happy with my Glocks. In future I might switch, or add one to my arsenal if I find I like the MP. I'm sure it will develop more of following. As for CHEAP ammo & also self defense, I think the only choice is 9mm. 40SW & 45 ACP are not nearly as inexpensive to shoot.

me
    I was between those two and chose the M&P .40 over the XD. It felt better - no problems with mine
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links