EAA Witness or SW9VE?

EAA Witness or SW9VE?

This is a discussion on EAA Witness or SW9VE? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm trying to decide on a new 9mm, and have it down to these two. The Witness is the wonder finish, 18 rnd mag. The ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EAA Witness or SW9VE?

EAA Witness or SW9VE?

I'm trying to decide on a new 9mm, and have it down to these two. The Witness is the wonder finish, 18 rnd mag. The SW9VE is blk/ss, 16 rnd. Both have what I think are excellent prices. The Witness is $336 and the SW9 is $239. I'd buy both if I could get away with it. I'm looking for comparisons from anyone who has experience with both.

Thanks

Administrator
    Hands down no question about it... the Witness.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    I love S&W, but not that one. EAA is the way to go.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Hands down no question about it... the Witness.
    I was kind of leaning that way, but the price on the sw9 caught my eye. Maybe there's a reason it costs less? I've held a Witness & liked the feel, but haven't seen the sw9 at a local shop.

kle
    As I understand it, the Witness is a CZ-75 derivative (which is itself a Browning Hi-Power derivative), so it should be a pretty good gun.

I have the SW9VE, I've put 395 rounds through it, and I can hit a letter-sized target 10 times out of 10 at 75 feet with it on a regular basis.

Yes, what everyone says about the trigger is true--it's heavy, it's gritty, and it's generally the worst part of the pistol. The rest of it, however, is pretty good. The trigger's not terrible, not impossible to use, but it's not as easy or as smooth as a comparable Glock.

Finding accessories (mainly holsters) for the SW9VE has been very difficult.

But it's a decent pistol. For the money, it was just right for an inexpensive range pistol, and possibly even for carry.

Hope this helps!

I have a 40VE and it is a completely reliable pistol with over 3000+ trouble free rounds. It is sitting on the night stand by me as I type. S&W has top notch service, you can get parts and get 17 round pre ban mags (9VE) for the gun that are @20 a piece.

I know people who own EAA Witness and the company will not sell spare part for the guns and warranty service is not very good.

If your looking or a 9mm in the less expensive category look at the Stoeger Cougar (Berretta tooling from when they made them) in 9mm or 40. Around here you can get them for 329.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

I'd go with the Smith & Wesson. That little guy has really come under a lot of scrutiny and has been shunned by a lot of "gun experts", but the bottom line is - it's a damn good gun for less than 300 bucks! Hell...If I had the extra funds, I would buy one!

Smith & Wesson has NEVER put out a BAD product!

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by teknoid View Post
    I was kind of leaning that way, but the price on the sw9 caught my eye. Maybe there's a reason it costs less? I've held a Witness & liked the feel, but haven't seen the sw9 at a local shop.
    There are lots of reasons they cost less. The early ones had lots of problems. The newer ones are OK, but the older rep. has ruined the line and they have a hard time giving them away.
    "Just blame Sixto"

If they wanna give 'em away - I'll take one! That's what bothers me about the gun industry. It's alot like the car industry. People use guns as an "ego" thing instead of what they were designed for. I use a Glock because it works! The Smith works too! The only reason I don't carry one of those is the holster issue. I would have no problem doing a T&E on the Smith and if it passes my "torture" test - hell yeah! I'll carry it!

You can't "buy" an image nor a personality!

Since I have 3 Witnesses, and wouldn't trade any of them....
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar
    Witness. When I teach folks to shoot it is the Witness that most want to use. I carry a Sig, but have a Witness in my range bag and it really gets used.

p85
    I bought the Witness in 10 mm a week ago. Wonder finish and 15+1 capacity. Its a pleasure to shoot. Seems to point naturally and followup shots are easy to squeeze off. The 9mm will be a smaller frame but I am sure you will enjoy the pistol as well. Good luck in whatever you choose.

Since I'm planning on carrying whatever I buy, the holster issue is huge. So is the trigger.

One other question. I decided to pick up a 9mm mostly because of ammo cost. I like my 1911, but as much as I hit the range, .45's get expensive. What about carrying either of these (Witness, SW9ve) as far as concealability goes? I'm picking this up to replace a PA63- ammo is too much of a hassle (1 local shop, 1 brand) for summer carry.

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    I don't have one right now, but I'd go for the Witness. The holster should not be a problem, since they are basically CZ clones. The single action part of the triggers are usually good. 9mm is probably the least expensive and most available centerfire handgun ammo. The only downside is unless it is a polymer framed Witness, it is a full sized steel frame gun, so it will be heavier than the Sigma.

I'm thinking that the Smith is gonna carry more like a "bar of soap" than the Witness. But I've never carried a Witness, so YMMV.

I dunno...the Smith & Wesson name just means alot to me!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links