I made a decision.

I made a decision.

This is a discussion on I made a decision. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For those that that have read some of my posts lately, you are aware that I have been trying to choose between the XD9 and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I made a decision.

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar

I made a decision.

For those that that have read some of my posts lately, you are aware that I have been trying to choose between the XD9 and the M&P9. Thanks for all of your input.

I have chosen and will be purchasing the S&W M&P9.

I went to the range today to rent a XD9 and a Glock 17. Wanted to compare the two. There was no M&P9 available to rent.

I went to the counter and had them set me up. Getting ready to go back to the lanes and the salesman asked me how many rounds I wanted. I said that I had 200 with me and but will take another 100. He stopped me and said that all rental guns had to shoot their ammo. I said ok... how much is your 9mm? 15 bucks for a box of 50!

So here is what we have cost wise for this little trip to the range.

Range fee $21 per hour (I should only need an hour)
    Rental weapons $12 each. ($24)
    9mm ammo $15 bucks for 50. 200 rounds =$60
    Not to mention the 34 bucks that I blew on 9mm ammo at WM before I got there.

So the total cost for my rentals was going to be. $105. (not counting the $34 for the ammo that I cannot shoot in a rental)

After all this I still will not to be able to shoot the M&P9 because they do not have one to rent yet.

The M&P that I am looking to purchase is 400.00. (by the way the M&P9 was 689.00 at the gun range.) So I am going to spend a quarter of the money it will cost for a new weapon? I don't think so.

So I have decided that I am going to pull the "trigger" on the M&P9.

If I don't like it I'm sure I can find someone (Sixto) to take it off my hands.

I will report back with the results.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

Assistant Administrator
    I have a feeling you will like that M&P - and not be wanting to sell

Shucks man - that is one spendy range!!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I'm sure you'll like the M&P. I've got one in .40 and it shoots great. Don't worry. You can always pick up the XD later and have the best of both worlds!

Seriously though. 17 rounds in a pretty slim frame is a very attractive package (not to mention the 15 .40 I've got sitting on my hip right now!).

Good Luck!
    "To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

SIC VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM.

Administrator
    I'll buy it if you dont want it, your offer at $50 still stands?

I really like the M&P, but I want it to be around a while longer before I give my full endorsement.
    "Just blame Sixto"

The range I shoot at also requires you to purchase their ammo if you'll be renting one of their guns. However, when I rented a Kahr MK9 Wednesday, it was only $8.99 for a box of Fiocchi 9mm ammo. Your range is definitely more expensive than mine.

Geez, I looked your Range Prices and figured you must've made a typo.

I pay $7 for all day at my local Indoor Range. What gives in KY? I admit, I do get a LEO Discount, but it isn't that much. Before I was an LEO I only paid $8.50/Day.

I use my own ammo and even take my own targets to the range sometimes. Other times I buy their Targets.

Biker

I think my range is about $6 to rent a gun. I am a member so it is ZERO to rent one. But I do have to buy their ammo. Well at least 50 rounds anyway. I think that 9mm is around $11 for 50. However I always have my own to go with it, so the first 50 is theirs and then I use min after. Actually 9mm seems to be a rip off. But as you go up the ammo chain it becomesa little more resonable. 45ACP is around $13.00 for 50. Not a steal but in the ball park.

Suggested retail on a M&P9 is only $624, any range charging $689 is outrageous!

But I'd like to know where you found one for $400.
    "Success is not Final, Failure is not Fatal, it is the Courage to Continue that Counts"
    Sir Winston Churchill

Where is this range located? So, I can make sure I never give them my business.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    What gives in KY?
    I am in no way, shape or form being disrespectful to the Bluegrass State of Kentucky nor any of it's residents...but...it's funny that you took quite a "reeming" from your gun range! Hence the abbreviation "KY"

As in personal lubricant?

I shoot the M&P 40c a couple weeks ago and was very impressed with it. I had also compared it with the XD 40sc, which is basically about the same size. After the shooting both, I was very impressed with the M&P.

It felt better in my hand and shoot better. I shoot the M&P with the medium palm swell, but I like the capability of changing out this part of the grip.

Have fun trying it out.
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

Quote Originally Posted by Ship A'Hoy View Post
    But I'd like to know where you found one for $400.
    Bud's Gun Shop (www.budsgunshop.com) has them on sale right now for that price.

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Glock 'em down View Post
    I am in no way, shape or form being disrespectful to the Bluegrass State of Kentucky nor any of it's residents...but...it's funny that you took quite a "reeming" from your gun range! Hence the abbreviation "KY"

As in personal lubricant?

I don't know, but I'm sick of it. I have noticed that some of the gun shops / ranges are closing here in the Louisville area. I'm getting the impression that the others think they can do as they please because the competition is gone.

The ones that aren't closed are hiking their prices so you can't afford to shoot. I think it's Hiliary's fault.

I have been forced to look elsewhere when I am ready to make a purchase. I plan on going to Bud's for my M&P9.

I always seemed to get reamed when purchasing cars or guns. Not this time.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

Is it the M&P Compact in 9mm at Bud's that's on sale for $400 or the full-size M&P?

I just noticed that I used the word "funny" in my post. I didn't mean to use "funny" I meant to say PITIFUL! Because it is PITIFUL that the range treats you (and others) this way. Without it's patrons, a business is OUT of business!

I meant it was "funny" or ironic, I guess, that you "have to take it" and that the abbreviation of your beautiful State is KY!

Just me and my sick sense of humor...please ignore me!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links