Wilson Magazines; help sorting them out!

This is a discussion on Wilson Magazines; help sorting them out! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'd like to pickup a couple of wilson mags for a SA Mil Spec I have on order. On another thread they were suggested. I ...

Thread: Wilson Magazines; help sorting them out!

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar

Wilson Magazines; help sorting them out!

I'd like to pickup a couple of wilson mags for a SA Mil Spec I have on order. On another thread they were suggested. I went to the wilson site and boy are there a lot of different codes! Question is, will the aluminum show when a mag is inserted? The black magazines are a bit more. For my gun, it looks like their standard 47 would fit. It's a 7 round which is what the gun is. Any guidance on this would be appreciated! Thanks!

2. Remove Ads

a 47 or 47 d will fit they stick out a little with the base pad and the one is alum its stainless steel

Red face

Gideon...I haven't checked Wilson's site lately, but yes there are a number of models and they are pretty good at specifying which Gun Manufacturers need which mag....in my case, I've got a Kimber Eclipse Pro which is a full size frame but with 4" barrel....my Wilson mags are 47D....which carry 8rds. You didn't say which brand of 1911 you have or are looking at.

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    hello prospector. I'm getting the Springfield Armory Mil Spec. It's a 7+1 with 5" barrel. I'd like the magazines to be as flush as possible. If any silver of the mag will show, I'd rather get all black ones. Does this help a little?

I'm thinking the plain 47 would work but I don't want any silver showing.

Thanks!

Gideon

the bottom of the mag will show and be silver but none of the sides if ya dont like that have to get the blued ones dont rember if 47's have a black base platew or not i have all 47d's

Personally, I dont like flush mags. I tend to get piched a lot during reloads.

It sounds like the magazine you're looking for is the 47CB. Seven round, low profile steel base pad, and the tube is armor tuffed black. I have several of these, I used them in my colt, I planned on having it gun-koted black, but may hardchrome it instead, so now I have to buy four more wilson 47s for my colt, since I plan on using my black mags for my parkerized SA mil-spec...

They stick out of the magwell about .188" with the low-profile basepads.

edit: .188 = 3/16s. Technicly it would be .1875, but my machine at works isnt capable of ten-thousandths.

Red face

Yep...just looked at mine and there is not quite 1/8 inch of the silver side showing. Like Zach S said, if you don't want that, then the 47CB is what you need.

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by Prospector
    Yep...just looked at mine and there is not quite 1/8 inch of the silver side showing. Like Zach S said, if you don't want that, then the 47CB is what you need.
    I would just pull out my Sharpie and make the silver go away on a 47D if it bothered me. I used to not like the tell tale silver line. Now I can use it to gauge when a magazine may not be fully seated.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

I use the 7 round black plastic base Wilsons in my Para CCO. I did swap bases from a thin based 10 rounder I carry for street reload and it fits a little closer to the base and prints less but still gets a good solid lockup when you slide it in under a little stress. The 10 round mag hangs out the bottom so far who cares what is on it's bottom. I don't know it would protect the 7 rounder with the thin base if you do a slide lock drop reload on concrete but that would be a case where things were REAL bad and who cares in that situation. They are excellent magazines and will serve you well if you do a little tlc to them once in a while.

Links