My first S&W

This is a discussion on My first S&W within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I took the plunge and bought a M&P .40 compact! It feels great in the hand and when I do practice draws the sights line ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first S&W

My first S&W- Now w/ Range Report

I took the plunge and bought a M&P .40 compact!
    It feels great in the hand and when I do practice draws the sights line up every time!
    Go to the range tomorrow to see how it does, I'll let you all know if it shoots as good as it looks. This gun just plain feels good in my hand and
    wearing it around the house, feels good on the hip (I.W.B.)!

Range Report:
    Well, things don't look good: First mag- striker didn't dent primer on one of the rounds , third mag- striker didn't dent primer on one of the rounds (this never happened again in 250 rds).
    O.K. the bad news- about six times the slide release would engage some where around rd. 4-6 in both mags! I know it wasn't me, it also happened to a couple of friends that gave it a spin , so to speak.
    Damn, I had such high hopes that this would be a good pistol! From another board some have had the same problem but, only on the last round. The fix is the spring that holds the slide release down isn't strong enough. Now it will most likely go back to S&W for repair on my "brand-spank-me-new" pistol!!!
    Last edited by Gun Bunny; April 30th, 2007 at 04:23 PM.
    Kahr CW9
    Sig P239/9mm
    Ruger LC9 (when the girlfriend lets me carry her gun)

"First Duty is To Remember"

2. Remove Ads

congrats

Assistant Administrator
    From all I am hearing - you have made a great choice.

I had a chance to take a close look at Eagle5's relatively new M&P compact 9 yesterday - feels great, sights are good and I really may need to shoot one soon.

I like them so far - seemingly so do many folks.!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by Gun Bunny View Post
    I took the plunge and bought a M&P .40 compact!
    It feels great in the hand and when I do practice draws the sights line up every time!
    Go to the range tomorrow to see how it does, I'll let you all know if it shoots as good as it looks. This gun just plain feels good in my hand and
    wearing it around the house, feels good on the hip (I.W.B.)!
    AHA! another one!

Just got my full sized M&P 9mm Friday. Haven't been able to fire it yet, but it feels good in the hand.

PLEASE! EVERYBODY STOP ALREADY! Do you know how much money I would have to spend if and when I switch over to the M&P! I've already spent a fortune on holsters trying to find one that I like...which I HAVEN'T YET! Now, I gotta try this process all over again! Besides...M&P 'em down? I don't think so...

...God I want one too!

VIP Member
    congrate
    Semper Fi

Congrats Gun Bunny. I was skeptical of the M&P at first when I bought the fullsize in 9mm on a whim and wanted to not like (until then I was pro-XD). I have really opened up to the series now and as P95Carry mentioned, I recently added the M&P9c to my arsenal and am breaking it in for EDC. Don't get me wrong, I still like the 1911 and the XD, but there is just something about the M&P. You shouldn't be disappointed.

Heard a lot of good things about that pistol.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Glock 'em down View Post
    PLEASE! EVERYBODY STOP ALREADY! Do you know how much money I would have to spend if and when I switch over to the M&P! I've already spent a fortune on holsters trying to find one that I like...which I HAVEN'T YET! Now, I gotta try this process all over again! Besides...M&P 'em down? I don't think so...

...God I want one too!
    You can buy one and not switch over. I wouldnt switch over or have it be my primary just yet, but I wouldnt mind having one just for kicks.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I haven't even seen one yet, other than on S&W's website. I may have to see if the local range has one for rent... people are going nuts over these things!

VIP Member
    I like the idea of the M&P. I love S&W as a rule thanks to their revolvers. I like the idea of spending money with an American gun company. But, the Glock still reigns supreme for me. Maybe I just haven't played with the M&P enough yet.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

I want one... bad! Please provide a range report and pics when you get a chance.

Congrats again.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Quote Originally Posted by MNBurl View Post
    I want one... bad! Please provide a range report and pics when you get a chance.
    Going about 12:00 today, I'll be sure to give you guys the heads-up on this pistol.
    BTW my compact is the latest model w/ ser. # prefix of MPN-14xx, some of the early ones were dropping mags due to weak mag release.
    Kahr CW9
    Sig P239/9mm
    Ruger LC9 (when the girlfriend lets me carry her gun)

"First Duty is To Remember"

Senior Member Array rangerman2003's Avatar
    ya i want one too... My fiances uncle has one on layaway, and is going to have to give it back to the shop... I am trying to talk him into letting me take over the payments and claim it as mine... hope all goes well, if it does i will have me a NIB MPC 40
    Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant' is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist'

De inimico non Loquaris sed cogites.

Do not wish ill for your enemy, plan for it!

I wish I had the money.... congratulations.... have fun at the range.... I look forward to your range report.
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links