Need input for a 1911 purchase

This is a discussion on Need input for a 1911 purchase within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi everybody Hope your Easter is going well. I have a question for you, and I KNOW all of you can help me out with ...

Thread: Need input for a 1911 purchase

Hi everybody
    Hope your Easter is going well. I have a question for you, and I KNOW all of you can help me out with this.
    Ok, here we go. I was at my fav dealer today <Kittery Me> and found a Used Colt Blued Lightweight Combat Commander series 80 with TONS of extras added <Brownells, vedechi, Chip mcCormik etc>Trijicon night sights, speed adjustable trigger, enhanced hammer, sear, wide combat beavertail safety, barso BBl, enhanced ejector, etc.( a total of about 250.00 in extras) The gun appears to have much custom work done to it, quite tastfully done I might add plus it has all the factory parts with it. No box, 95% blue. for $650.00
    SECOND.A USED Springfield Armory Micro Compact Lightweight Loaded with Novak night sights. Stainless slide, slimline Double Diamond grips, ambi safety, and all the factory accys that a stock Micro comes with for $730.00 95% finish (gun retails for about $1169.00 ) no box with it either.
    My delemia is, I can't take both, and I'm trading my pimpy hard chrome H&K P7 with night sights <a pic in another thread I posted> for the total of 620.00 trade-in.. (I'm into the gun for $500.00 total cash money)
    I can have the COLT Commander for my gun and $30.00 or
    I can have the Springfield Armory Micro for 114.00...and my P7..
    Let me know what ya'll think, cuz I have til Monday to figure it out..I KNOW you'll help me out on this one, but I'd love to take BOTH of them, but can't...
    thanks, and I'll look for the posts.

About the only thing I can say is which feels better in the hand to you? Only other thing is to REALLY LOOK that Colt over close. I picked one up last year and didn't look it over very well....and got burned. Turned out someone butched it. Wouldn't group at 7 yards(barely even hit paper).

DC Founder
    Based on what you have said, I would opt for the Colt if it passed close scrutiny. Any chance you could have a gunsmith look at the guns first?
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Hi guys......THANKS for the quick responses........I can't take the gun to a Gunsmith, BUT the good news is, that the Dept Manager is a good friend of mine....(known him for 27 yrs) he told me that it was up to me, but he thought that the Colt was very tight, and he's a 1911 guy. I did see the fit to finish on both was VERY good. I do like the thought of a compact and shooter type weapon. the colt is slightly larger than the SA on BBL lenght, and frame size..The Colt fets better in my hands, but the SA Micro is a bit small. I own a V10 stainless SA right now.. had several colts <many to be exact>. so I guess I'm looking at the bottom line in it all.. If I buy the Colt.. I'm seeing some for up to 849.00......with enhancements...If I go the SA.it's 1169.00 on the retail.... and 730.00 to me as the trade..
    I was thinking the Colt,MK IV 80 series, but am confused at this point... BOTH are VERY tight...finish is GREAT..on both.....I did have them place both on hold for me til tomorrow afternoon.. I'm thinking re-sale value here I guess...and the reail level....I want to be able to shoot it if I want.and carry it as well, with little showing... Confusing to say the least huh??
    Thanks for Many responses..I look forward to you helping me out here.<scrathing my head real good>

Stay with the Colt because of the longer barrel. I don't like anything under 4 inches. Make sure that your firing pin safety works properly and is not battering the firing pin plunger. Good luck
    T.A.P.S.
    Tactics-Accuracy-Power-Speed

And make sure the ramp is in good shape

as Far as i could tell.the ramp had been polished and the slide to frame fit was VERY tight...I thought the same thing, about the Colt, but you know, it always good to get as much info as possible from your friends
    I DO Like the SA though.due to the stainless slide...blue /black frame... the Trijicons were stock colt type, but I'm sure the guy had some money sunk into the weapon.. I found that I am into the K&K P7 for a total of 500.00 ......plus two mags they took back from me for 30.00 each.. They Gave me 560.00 for the P7.and another 60.00 for the mags.....so 620.00 total into the gun....... the Colt is 650.00 so the deal os 30.00 and my gun. so in reality.i'm into the Colt for 500.00 should I get it....... the SA I would beinto for 618.00 ......(the gun is 730.00) so either way.I came out on top...the SA is 1169.0 retail.I'm wondering what a Lightweight Commander Mk IV is on the retial.any help?? thanks for the input
    Bob.

here's a similar pic of it....I know this dealer as well.http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976532889.htm
    this one below is almost a dead ringer for the gun, except that it had the Trijicons and not a novak rear
    http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976565327.htm

http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976569216.htm <-this one's even closer to it......

Still take the colt even if ya dont like it or its a piece of crap it will resell easyer becuse it says colt

Sponsored Links