Range Report: Taurus 605, and others

This is a discussion on Range Report: Taurus 605, and others within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Went with my wife's family to the range today to try out her new revolver plus some others that we had collectively I have no ...

View Poll Results: So how is my first range report?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Perfect in everyway, you are a Report God

3 21.43%
  • It was ok, could use some polishing

6 42.86%
  • meh

2 14.29%
  • Are you actually litterate or did your pet monkey type this for you

3 21.43%
    Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar

Went with my wife's family to the range today to try out her new revolver plus some others that we had collectively

I have no camera to take pictures of so sorry for the lack of proof. Next weekend probally will be able to borrow somebodies to show.

Well, anyway first up was the Taurus 605. we were shooting 38 special 130 grain out of it for this trip. 50 rounds through it and no problems wife was able to place almost every round on pieplate size target at a range of 15 or so yards. The thing shoots where you point it and the recoil is quite easy considering the size. Even my sister-in-law who has no real grip strength, and had also only fired a pistol once before (a 22) was able to handle it with relative ease. (bad grouping but mostly from lack of experiance) Personally I can't control the thing to save my life, but that is why it is her gun and not mine.

Next up was my Tokarev 9mm, newly fluffed and buffed by a friend of mine. Total shots 4. The failure to feed problem is fixed, every round feeds perfectly, but sadly everyother round failed to eject so I will be trying a new recoil spring or just trade it in at the next gunshow not sure what yet. However the shots I fired were dead on and beautiful.

Following that was the Taurus pt22, Still have not had a good session with this gun as the magazine has just enough gap when inserted fully to stop the rounds from feeding. (1 round fired today)

Personally I hate this gun but it is my father-in-law's and he bought it for his wife who due to RSD from a shattered wrist has no grip strength to work most double action triggers or rack the slide of any single action. Basically this is the only pistol we have found that she could use completely without assistance. Any suggestions as to a replacement would be helpfull.

Final gun was the Hi-point 9mm. What can I say, cheap gun, ugly gun, horrible for a left handed shooter such as myself. But it fed everything put in it. 75 rounds down range, all on target. Pretty much everybody but my sister-in-law was able to land every round on a pieplate. (She did so with about 75% of the rounds) (15-20 yards) Currently there are about 500 rounds through it and it has never had any kind of malfunction. (It does not like to be slingshoted however, round still goes into battery but not as smoothly)

So basic summary is

Taurus 605 great little shooter and very impressed

Taurus pt22 Oh God why does this exsist?

Hi-point 9mm Possible diamond in the rough, very rough

Tokarev, accurate, simple, but can not depend on it so probally a trade in. Too poor to own a niche gun like this one.
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

I voted meh, because I have no idea what it means! Love my 605, my pt22 has always been pretty decent, and have no experience with the rest, so we are pretty close on reports!
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

Its ok I voted for the monkey one, but then my self esteem has always been top notch. :)
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

I gave you the perfect score to even things out. I have a 605SSCH with crimson trace grips and I love it nice carry piece and you're right it hits where you point it, hard to group well but I hold about a 4" group at 15 yds and that satisfies me.
    Gun Control: What a long strange trip it's been

Senior Member Array incredipete's Avatar
    Nice report.
    Gun Control means never having to say "I missed you."

- Glock 27 (.40)
    - Kel-Tec p3at (.380)
    - Beretta 96FS (.40)
    - Smith & Wesson 5906 (9mm)

Well my wife took her gun out to the range again (She went with her father this time)

Have not seen the target yet but from what she described she consistantly pie plated the target at 10-12 yards. Not bad for her 3rd time firing a pistol and 2nd with that gun.

Her father made one last attempt with the PT22. Still failure to feed everytime. So its off to the shop to take part in that warrenty program taurus has.

Gun show is this weekend, and I will be selling my Tokarev if I can get a decent price for it. Money will most likely go towards ammo and a car safe for her gun. Unless of course there is some "great deal" that I wont mind spending money on. Although since the combined price of my car and my wifes car is only about $50 more than what I spent on her gun alone...I most likely wont get myself any new "toys".

I heart my 605ss! Great trigger, NO.. problems, thousands of .357 ..38 rounds later, still one of my favorites!

Links