Suggestions for a compact?

This is a discussion on Suggestions for a compact? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm done buying guns in stores. Therefore I probably won't be getting the gun I want most which is the Kahr K9 Elite. I will ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for a compact?

Suggestions for a compact?

I'm done buying guns in stores. Therefore I probably won't be getting the gun I want most which is the Kahr K9 Elite. I will be looking in the Trading Post for what's available and need a pretty extensive list of acceptable guns. Price must be under $500 (used, of course, so that's not so bad).

I need a small gun in 9mm for warm and hot weather carry. It's very humid here in Virginia in the summer and I don't like having to wear a belt that's tightened one extra notch to hold my 2lb. PX4 securely. Half the time I carry open just so I don't have to wear a cover garment. Then inevitably I find myself in a situation where I need to conceal it and have to leave in my vehicle - I hate that.

So, a K9 would be ideal, but what else might fit this role? At this point, I'm not ruling anything out.
    Check out the Free State Project

How does the economy really work? Mises Institute

Laissez Faire Books offers an extensive collection of books on liberty, free markets, philosophy, economics, politics and history.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    Don't know anything in 9mm but everybody seems to rave about the Bersa thunder 380. Lots of reviews on it here as well. Buds gun shop ( http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/178 0 has them for a decent price along with their bigger brothers. I know its a store but it is a cheap one. I have seen them on gun broker as well but often see them for more than Buds.
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    close or a bit over your $$ figure would be a kahr p or cw series , trimm the butt and you have a sub compact with a long sight radious . Good luck on your quest and no explination of why buying is precluded is needed .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

VIP Member
    It sounds like you are describing a Kel Tec PF-9 or P-11. Both are small, light weight 9mm pistols. (9 is single stack 11 is double stack)

And of course I have to mention the Glock 19 or 26. I carry a 23, which is 19 sized with nothing but a t-shirt and shorts often in the summer with no problems. The 26 would be even easier.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

I've been looking for a decent pistol thats small for my first CCW. I've heard a lot about the XD series...I looked at one today at the gun shop and it seemed like a decent pistol. I've heard nothing but good things about them. They are chambered in 9mm, .40, and .45.

Another one that has already been mentioned is the Bersa Thunder .380. This is what I will be getting very soon. They sell new for roughly $220 - $250. I've heard nothing but great things about them and they are very comfortable.
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Smith & Wesson M&P9c

Quote Originally Posted by sailormnop View Post
    I'm done buying guns in stores. Therefore I probably won't be getting the gun I want most which is the Kahr K9 Elite. I will be looking in the Trading Post for what's available and need a pretty extensive list of acceptable guns. Price must be under $500 (used, of course, so that's not so bad).

Hey, you're right by me.

+1 for the Kel Tec. Sounds like it maybe what you are looking for.

The smallest Blocks may work but A) not a fan, B) my paws are just to big. Same with the P2000sk from H&K.

I carry a USPc in 40. With a C-Tac I have found the weight is nothing on my belt. I use belts with it that don't have notches that just double loop through to hold and it works great. Maybe its just my luck with it.

XD sub 9mm. Great pistol, reliable, concealable, under $500. Just out of curiousity, why have you forsaken stores?

Springfield XD Sub Compacts in 9 and 40.

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    If you like the K9 Elite, then you might want to take a look at the Kahr TP9 or any of the other offerings....the CW9 is the cheapest and still a good weapon. I love my K9 and TP9 and havent ever had a hitch with either weapon.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    I've heard bad things about that Bersa Thunder .380.

If you're going to dip down into .380, might as well look for an Interarms Walther PPK. I have one, and it's pretty good. Doesn't fail to feed or fire or eject, anyway. When I first bought it, there was a problem with the sear, but a part was swapped out and it's been fine ever since.

S&w 3913

Maybe a used S&W 3913 would meet your spec. This is a slim, lightweight single stack 9mm with aluminum frame and barrel about 3.5 inches. They usually go for $500 or less in used condition and have a very good reputation. Here is a review article on Gunzone:

S&W 3913 review

Quote Originally Posted by HOLYROLLER View Post
    XD sub 9mm. Great pistol, reliable, concealable, under $500. Just out of curiousity, why have you forsaken stores?
    Here is the way I see it playing out:
    1) We get a demoncrat Pres. to match the House and Senate.
    2) Gun control legislation starts coming out of Washington, gradually ramping up until we are told we have to turn in our self defense tools.
    3) BATF shows up at my door with a list (that everyone tells me they don't have) of all the guns I have bought from FFLs.
    4) I say I sold them all.
    5) BATF agents proceed to tear my house apart looking for them.

I'd just as soon keep my firearms off the books.

Also, I would prefer a single-stack mag like the Kahr or a 1911 to keep the pistol thin and comfortable to carry.
    Check out the Free State Project

How does the economy really work? Mises Institute

Laissez Faire Books offers an extensive collection of books on liberty, free markets, philosophy, economics, politics and history.

You might want to check out this ad on GunsAmerica. Text of the ad says:

This listing is for both the Kel-Tec P-11 (9mm) & P-3AT (.380). Both firearms have been fired minimally. Both guns include the attached belt clip and the P-11 includes the Pearce Grip magazine extension.
    Listed asking price is $420.00 for both guns.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

What about a CZ RAMI? You can get one of those new for around $450.....very nice. I am on the hunt for one myself.....

Vernonator,
    Have you checked Bud's Gun Shop? They show a Alloy frame RAMI in 40 S&W and a Poly frame RAMI in 9mm as being in stock.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links