About the Kel-Tec P3AT, I gotta say. . . - Page 2

About the Kel-Tec P3AT, I gotta say. . .

This is a discussion on About the Kel-Tec P3AT, I gotta say. . . within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I wasn't 'dunking' hard at all, it is ridiculous to disregard anything without speaking from experience. That's all there is to it IMO, peacefuljeff is ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 66

Thread: About the Kel-Tec P3AT, I gotta say. . .

  1. #16
    Ex Member Array Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,570
    I wasn't 'dunking' hard at all, it is ridiculous to disregard anything without speaking from experience. That's all there is to it IMO, peacefuljeff is an intelligent guy, he knew what he was doing with this thread, it's as old as the hills, as old as Glock vs 1911...

    I like Kel-Tecs and I get irritated with people putting them down without any first hand experience, it's happened a few times since I joined this forum, will happen again... I don't see many KT owners with the same opinions as those that looked at one through some glass.

    It's a utilitarian budget pocket gun, if it was meant to be pretty they'd have to charge more money, and then many, many people wouldn't carry one and have the option of saving their own skin one day.


  2. #17
    Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    1,046
    They are not pretty & they do seem cheaply made evaluating them for fit & finish only.

    The later generations ones seem to quite reliable & accurate enough for its purpose.

    I do not own one, but have experience handling & shooting them.

    I also agree that K-T doesn't charge much for the gun in comparison to other gun of similar purpose. You can't charge very little for a gun & expect it to be of premium quality. However, they have a great warranty & their customer relations appears to be right up there with the best. That's saying a lot.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

  3. #18
    Member Array PaulBk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    221
    Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    I wouldn't accept a FREE one.
    Thank you for sharing.

    -Paul
    Hero's aren't born, they're cornered - According to Jim

  4. #19
    Member Array Mainspring's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Mid-Michigan
    Posts
    169
    Like others have said, it's ugly and isn't a whole lot of fun to shoot. But, I ALWAYS have it with me. It's the only gun that I own that I can hide in a Speedo (God forbid) if necessary. I've got about 500 rounds through mine with no malfunctions of any kind. Yesterday my Dad and I were shooting, and he had his PPK/S and I had my P3AT. His was prettier, and shot marginally better, but I can't imagine ALWAYS carrying the PPK/S like I always carry the P3AT, whether as a BUG or as a primary while wearing my Speedo.
    The keys to winning a gunfight are first to bring a gun and secondly to take your time, quickly.

    Always remember that if your opponent is within range, so are you.

    POWER TO THE MEPEOPLE!!!

  5. #20
    Administrator
    Array QKShooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Off Of The X
    Posts
    35,924

    I thought exactly the same thing.

    I went and bought one anyway though.
    They LOOK like they should cost about $29.95 on sale but, actually they are great because they pack a great punch for their incredibly low weight and size.

    The frame is actually decently high tech and is honestly made of some incredibly tough stuff. It is FAR from being a soft material.
    The polymer frame is really very non critical.
    All of the critical slide to frame fitting is taken care of with the alloy insert inside the frame.

    Yes, there may be some injecton molding leaf where the 2 halves of frame mold were put together.

    In short the P3AT gives you a pocket .380 that weighs hardly anything.
    Does it look like a piece of cheap crappola?
    Yep, it sure does but, it serves a useful purpose.

    Just an interesting factoid.
    The fully loaded P3AT weighs as much as one fully loaded (with hardball) Colt 1911 magazine plus 2 or maybe 3 at most extra rounds.

    That's a decently low weight for a fully functional .380 pistol.
    Last edited by QKShooter; April 30th, 2007 at 01:02 PM.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

  6. #21
    Member Array Whirlwind06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    116
    Is this a troll tread?
    My P11 works fine. Yeah, it is not the best looking pistol. But hey it spends most of it's day stuck between my pants and under wear! How pretty does it need to be?

    Mine has been very reliable so far. At one range trip the ejector broke. I kept shooting not knowing that it had happened, until I got home and cleaned it. I called Kel-Tec and they sent me a new ejector free of charge.

  7. #22
    Member Array ShadeAngel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    383
    I have to agree, when I first bought mine and took it home I thought "Holy cow I am almost afraid to shoot this thing" I ran some snap caps through it and it felt horrible.

    But 500+ rounds later and not one malfunction with either FMJ or hollow points and I was convinced it was reliable enough to carry and I am thrilled to have such a reliable pocket BUG. YMMV
    "You can't shake the devils hand and say you were only kidding"

  8. #23
    Senior Member Array incredipete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    643
    I said it on another thread, and I'll say it again... it's ugly, but I've put 2,000+ rounds through mine without misfire or incident of any kind. I'm completely comfortable carrying one, even as a primary if I am not dressed to conceal something bigger.
    Gun Control means never having to say "I missed you."

    - Glock 27 (.40)
    - Kel-Tec p3at (.380)
    - Beretta 96FS (.40)
    - Smith & Wesson 5906 (9mm)

  9. #24
    VIP Member Array packinnova's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    4,368
    I'm not going to rant and rave about how great or not so great keltecs are(as I usually do - and Yes i've both owned them and fired them)...but I'll put it this way and leave it at that:

    I look at buying a firearm the same as buying a car or any other tool for that matter. If I go to a dealership to buy a car new off the lot...it for darn sure better be perfect. Not only in performance, but appearance as well. If it's got dents, dings, and "fringies" hanging off the dash molding...I ain't buying it. Why you ask? Because someone clearly didn't put the time and effort into it which shows it's value or lack thereof. If they didn't put forth the effort in appearance why should I trust the performance? Did they cut corners there too? If the designer and/or builder didn't see enough value in it to put in the wrench time, why should I?

    Just something to think about when buying ANY gun....not just keltecs.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

    "Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

  10. #25
    Member Array Whirlwind06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    116
    Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    I'm not going to rant and rave about how great or not so great keltecs are(as I usually do - and Yes i've both owned them and fired them)...but I'll put it this way and leave it at that:

    I look at buying a firearm the same as buying a car or any other tool for that matter. If I go to a dealership to buy a car new off the lot...it for darn sure better be perfect. Not only in performance, but appearance as well. If it's got dents, dings, and "fringies" hanging off the dash molding...I ain't buying it. Why you ask? Because someone clearly didn't put the time and effort into it which shows it's value or lack thereof. If they didn't put forth the effort in appearance why should I trust the performance? Did they cut corners there too? If the designer and/or builder didn't see enough value in it to put in the wrench time, why should I?

    Just something to think about when buying ANY gun....not just keltecs.
    If that last clean up step added an extra $100 to the price heck even $50. They would no longer be at the price point that makes them as popular as they are. They really fall into a sweet spot on the price band. Below it is Hi-point. Above it is Rugers and Taurus.
    Last edited by Whirlwind06; April 30th, 2007 at 02:05 PM.

  11. #26
    VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    south Florida
    Posts
    3,168
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadeAngel View Post
    I have to agree, when I first bought mine and took it home I thought "Holy cow I am almost afraid to shoot this thing" I ran some snap caps through it and it felt horrible.

    But 500+ rounds later and not one malfunction with either FMJ or hollow points and I was convinced it was reliable enough to carry and I am thrilled to have such a reliable pocket BUG. YMMV

    I thank all of you for coming out to respond to this thread.

    Yes, I sure did jump to a conclusion about the P3AT based on its appearance in the gun case. I swear, I still think it looks like a TOY. A cheap one. But if you all have had such good experience with it, I will defer to that. I'm not saying I'm headed out to buy one, by any means, though. But at least I'll reserve further judgment.

    For what it's worth, I don't think it's completely unfair of me to have looked that thing over and decided, "What junk." Sure, it's possible (you guys have pretty much stipulated that) that even a gun that looks like junk can still do the job. If it does, great.

  12. #27
    VIP Member Array Rob72's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    OK
    Posts
    3,468
    Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    For what it's worth, I don't think it's completely unfair of me to have looked that thing over and decided, "What junk." Sure, it's possible (you guys have pretty much stipulated that) that even a gun that looks like junk can still do the job. If it does, great.
    Same thing is said of Glock, and its been ticking comfortably along for 27-odd years. Obviously we have our own prejudices, but if it works, its hard to knock it!

  13. #28
    Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    1,752
    Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post

    I didn't ask to handle or examine it
    That one statement speaks volumes....

    Defensive guns are tools, if they function reliably in every respect, there should be little concern of aesthetics....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.


    "...be water, my friend."

  14. #29
    Member Array imatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    311
    Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    I thank all of you for coming out to respond to this thread.

    Yes, I sure did jump to a conclusion about the P3AT based on its appearance in the gun case. I swear, I still think it looks like a TOY. A cheap one. But if you all have had such good experience with it, I will defer to that. I'm not saying I'm headed out to buy one, by any means, though. But at least I'll reserve further judgment.
    Oh it does look like a toy. A deadly toy, but still a toy. Members of my family all exclaimed "It looks like a toy!" ... Upon firing it at the range, my Dad quickly changed his mind - even bought one for himself.

    Most anyone that has fired one at the range has a bit more respect for it.

  15. #30
    VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    south Florida
    Posts
    3,168
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob72 View Post
    Same thing is said of Glock, and its been ticking comfortably along for 27-odd years. Obviously we have our own prejudices, but if it works, its hard to knock it!
    Wait, wait, wait. Are you comparing fit-and-finish on a typical GLOCK to the fit-and-finish I described on the Kel Tec?

    I'm not talking about aesthetics -- lots of people call GLOCKs "ugly" (though I think they look great!). I'm talking about the appearance of being made like junk.

    In this case, people are responding by saying that although yes, the Kel Tecs do look like junk, they work just fine, and the cost savings of not prettying them up finish-wise is what saves the buyer money on them. That's fine. But in no way, I feel, should they be compared with GLOCKs.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. I just gotta say!
    By Sprntstagger in forum Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: March 8th, 2011, 07:34 AM
  2. Gotta get my DC.com fix in now, while I can
    By Paco in forum Off Topic & Humor Discussion
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: April 9th, 2009, 12:33 AM
  3. You Know, I Gotta Wonder...
    By Joshua M. Smith in forum Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: October 20th, 2007, 04:53 PM
  4. Gotta say thanks to K&D
    By dbshabo in forum Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: September 28th, 2007, 05:04 AM
  5. Gotta another one...
    By BlueLion in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: August 9th, 2006, 08:14 PM

Search tags for this page

keltec 380 p3at misfire
,
p3at extended backstrap
,
p3at extended mag price
,
p3at extended magazine green
,
p3at gets dirty quick
,
p3at green
,
p3at misfire
,
p3at san antonio
,
p3at stoppages
,

reducing trigger pull weight on naa guardian 380

,

what cops say about the kel tec 380

,
will the extented clip fit in the kel tec freedom p3at
Click on a term to search for related topics.