About the Kel-Tec P3AT, I gotta say. . .

This is a discussion on About the Kel-Tec P3AT, I gotta say. . . within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by dimmak That one statement speaks volumes.... Defensive guns are tools, if they function reliably in every respect, there should be little concern ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: About the Kel-Tec P3AT, I gotta say. . .

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dimmak View Post
    That one statement speaks volumes....

Defensive guns are tools, if they function reliably in every respect, there should be little concern of aesthetics....
    Once again, I wasn't really speaking of aesthetics so much as the quality that was or was not evident in the gun's appearance. That's not about aesthetics.

2. Remove Ads

Quite frankly I think it comes down to what you feel comfortable with carrying.
    If the fit and feel of P3AT give you cause for concern, the don't get one. It is IMPERATIVE that you are comfortable with a gun you want to carry to defend your life.

I made a leap of faith, based on other peoples reviews, and because of my need for small pocket pistol. I will fully admit I wanted a NAA guardian, but when I held one and it was evident that my hand was to big and the slide was going to bite me, so I went with the P3AT.
    "You can't shake the devils hand and say you were only kidding"

VIP Member
    ShadeAngel, I love your sig line. TMBG was/is a favorite of mine, for almost 20 years now...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Thanks! I have been using it for quite a while now and your the first to know where it came from, or at least the first to say so.

I still listen to flood, it always puts me in a good mood no matter how bad my day has been.
    "You can't shake the devils hand and say you were only kidding"

KelTec Owner...For Four Years...

My KT's are not EDC, but once in a while they tag along when the clothing is very light and the weather hot.

They are not a 'fun to shoot' gun at the range, but none of my three...(.32, .380, 9mm) have ever given me a problem...ever!

Cheap, dependable, easy to conceal...

OMO

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I handled one this weekend at the local gunshop, didn't fire it. The finish on the trigger had a seam right down the middle, almost cut myself on it, but easily fixed with a file. The trigger pull was pure slop. Checkering was more like bumps than diamonds. But I still think I'm buying one real soon. I've heard how reliable they are and with a lifetime guarantee you can't go wrong.

I just have one question, do these little pocket cannons kick as much as I’ve heard?

And is $269.00 a good price for a NIB P-3AT?

OK that's two questions.
    Last edited by Ship A'Hoy; April 30th, 2007 at 07:41 PM.
    "Success is not Final, Failure is not Fatal, it is the Courage to Continue that Counts"
    Sir Winston Churchill

I like them. Yes they may be ugly....but so are high points, and ALOT of people buy those....including me..I own two. One in 9mm and one 40. They go bang EVERY time...and thats all that matters.
    God Bless America!!

Administrator
    Most modern handguns these days rely on all precision parts that are held to extremely close manufacturing tolerances and then are basically just assembled.

There is very little "hand fitting" of parts done to any production firearm these days.

That being said Kel~Tec probably should hire a "trained ape" to quickly swipe over the pistol frame "injection molding seams" and smooth them out a bit.

It only took me about 5 minutes to do mine with a fine cut jewelers file.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Yeah my POS KelTec P3AT has been flawless for over 2000 rds.

Maybe I should just give it away....

NOT!
    02PSD4ME

Just pointing out hopefully with more clarity. I have not passed judgment.. I mearly stated I was leary of it, not having first hand experience with it, and I would have to put a few hundred rounds through it before trusting my life to it.

One should do that with any gun they carry for defense. I presently use a Ruger SP-101 in .357 as MY BUG and I have fired maybe a thousand rounds through it. I am always looking for something smaller.

I have a Walther PP in .32 cal but it is a WWII family heirloom my son-in-laws father took off a dead German Officer when he was a kid growing up in Belgium, so carrying that, while it is a sweet weapon, is totally out of the question.

I certainly never meant to offend anyone, I was just responding to a post
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

My p32 FTF after 20 rounds. Hammer would'nt release been at kel-tec for 3 weeks. 4 weeks I have had it one. They did pay for shipping out and back . I also have a P-11. Most uncomfortable weapon I have ever bought. Trigger pull is terrible and trigger digs in to my index finger. Price is great but have not had good experience with P32 or p11. They are light weight and very concealable but you can get smaller more well made weapon for $100 more NAA Guardian .32 NAA or ACP or NAA .380 or go for it with a Seecamp $$$$$$$. I am staying away from Kel-Tec. I will never trust one again.

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DakotaDude View Post
    It looks like a toy, i's not pretty, and my hand hurts if I shoot more than 50 rounds from it during a range session. But as a reliable pocket gun, it's perfect.

I do wonder why they make the green one. I can't imagine that anybody thinks it is better than black. Maybe Kel-tec got a good deal on green plastic.
    I have the green one with the chrome slide that everybody is knocking. It is no uglier than other green plastic guns like Glocks. It is a tool, not a piece of jewelry. Lets don't lose focus folks, this is CombatCarry, not BBQCarry. It is designed to put 7 rounds into somebody's vitals at close range, nothing more, nothing less. It isn't a .44 MAG, but it beats a sharp stick anyday.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

The others who ACTUALLY HAVE EXPERIENCE WITH THEM, have come to the defense of this gun. Not much I can add, other than I own two of them, love them for what they are and were intended to be, lightweight, small pistols that are reliable and don't cost a fortune. You can carry it with you just about all the time you are dressed. For that niche, they are highly suitable. I could not find any gun that was smaller, lighter, easier to carry than a Keltec P3AT. I love mine and shoot them very well, they have never failed to perform. I carry mine ALL the time. Yes they may look ugly, same was said of the Glock, but I love all four of my Glocks too.

My P3AT is the latest generation hard chrome slide version and I think it looks somewhat better than the standard blued versions.... but I did not buy it for looks, just performance and close range stopping power.

Why should a BUG, especially one mostly carried in a pants pocket be pretty ? In keeping with the meaning of 'concealed carry', no one is supposed to see it anyway.

I have never knocked anyone else's choice of firepower. I just keep on smiling, and occasionally pat my right pocket for that comforting feel.......

VIP Member
    I agree it is one ugly gun, but looks wouldnt be the deciding factor

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links