About the Kel-Tec P3AT, I gotta say. . . - Page 4

About the Kel-Tec P3AT, I gotta say. . .

This is a discussion on About the Kel-Tec P3AT, I gotta say. . . within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just bought one this weekend. Yeah, it's ugly and it looks cheap but I paid $229 for it adn took it to the range ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: About the Kel-Tec P3AT, I gotta say. . .

I just bought one this weekend. Yeah, it's ugly and it looks cheap but I paid $229 for it adn took it to the range for the first time today. I ran 100 rounds through it before I cried uncle because I thought my trigger finger was going to fall off, but I had no FTF, FTE or anything. I ran probably 80 rounds of ball ammo reloads through it, the followed that up with 10 rounds of Hydrashocks and 10 rounds of Silvertips and it ran flawlessly.

Can't say the same for my $900 Ultra Carry. Ot of 30 full magazines I ran through it I had a FTF in 25 of them. If I could only carry one TODAY, I would trust the KelTec over the Kimber.
    Kimber Ultra Carry - CT Lasergrips
    Glock 19, 21SF, 29
    KelTec P3AT
    Built M4 Carbine - My Evil Black Rifle

have had mine for a year and never leave home without it. and yes, it's the GREEN one. i also have a P-11. neither has given me any trouble and i think they are great. YMMV
    Deer huntin' is a hole in the swamp where i spend my wife's money....

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    . . . this is CombatCarry, not BBQCarry. . . .
    Hey, Doc! Maybe you could be the one to start BBQCarry!
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    I have the green one with the chrome slide that everybody is knocking. It is no uglier than other green plastic guns like Glocks. It is a tool, not a piece of jewelry. Lets don't lose focus folks, this is CombatCarry, not BBQCarry. It is designed to put 7 rounds into somebody's vitals at close range, nothing more, nothing less. It isn't a .44 MAG, but it beats a sharp stick anyday.
    I've got the green one myself. I don't like how it looks, but that didn't prevent me from buying it.

I just wonder why somebody at Kel-tec decided, "Hey, we oughta make green ones."

My brother just bought one of those. It is very ugly and an ergonomic nightmare, but it does what it was designed for. I am jealous, b/c it must be the easiest medium caliber firearm to conceal.

Quote Originally Posted by DakotaDude View Post
    I've got the green one myself. I don't like how it looks, but that didn't prevent me from buying it.

I just wonder why somebody at Kel-tec decided, "Hey, we oughta make green ones."
    Or baby blue ones.
    Kimber Ultra Carry - CT Lasergrips
    Glock 19, 21SF, 29
    KelTec P3AT
    Built M4 Carbine - My Evil Black Rifle

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Gotta chime in here; I've had two, a 1st Gen that was a nightmare at first. I lost confidence in it even after keltec fixed it and it appeared reliable. I traded it for a 2nd gen and that gun has been flawless. None of the sloppy defects you mention and minde is accurate to about 10 yards, I can pop soda cans at 10 yards off hand all day long. I've tried it with a variety of ammo and it works very well. I don't know how it'll be after 10,000 rounds but that's not the point of this weapon. It is simply the best value out there for a gun when you can't carry anything else and you need a true pocket gun that is reliable. I do trust this gun implicitly even if I don't think it looks good and it took some practice and a mag 1 round extension to be able to shoot it reasonable well. If I can say one negative thing about the weapon is that it doesn't lock back after you fire the last round. I think that's a significant failure in design. It's too easy to forget your count, especially if excited. so you have to drop the mag, load another and rack the slide. They really should have thought more about that one point to make it better in a real world defensive situation, however, in a realworld defensive situation (vast majority anyway) you won't use more than the 8 you can have on board.

There are better "quality" pocket guns out there but they're either heavier, thicker, or more costly or some combination of the three so for me this as been the best "reliable" value. I wouldn't sacrifice reliability but they are.

You know we say revolvers are the most reliable but I bought a Ruger SP101 and it locked up the first time out. But that only proves that any manufacturering process can and will put out a bad one from time to time. Even Sigs, HK, Kimber, etc. although Keltec is less reliable than that, they can be just as reliable too if you get a good one and test it.

Enought said, I'm a 2nd time around guy on these and respect them for what they are, a reliable tool for certain applications.

God Bless
    Gideon

My kids refuse to try some foods based on the "look" of the food. They miss out on a lot of good eating because of this.

Yeah, yeah, I know, somewhat different situation. But, they are subjectively trying to rate quality based solely on looks.

Nothing really wrong with that I guess, I just wish they would try something new once in awhile, like lasagna.

Hmmm.... interesting thread.

Been thinking about selling my 3rd generation P3At with the hard chrome slide, might just hang on to it now. Lots of good information in this thread.

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 02PSD4ME View Post
    Yeah my POS KelTec P3AT has been flawless for over 2000 rds.

Maybe I should just give it away....

Ok Thanks, I shall sing of your good deed everywhere I go.

NOT!

Awww.

Ok, First thing are they ugly? Oh my God yes. But it is not like a BG is going to say "Well, your weapon is so beautiful I will now give up crime and feed the poor in Africa"

It also would seem unwise to focus on the looks of a firearm that is basically going to be drug through hell and back. I think Lima said it best on another thread when she mentioned just throwing your EDC accross a gravel parking lot like a skipping stone to get the damage over with.

As far as reliablity goes, that is what rentals are for, odds are they have been treated worse than anything you would ever do to a firearm so if they work there, they probally will work for you.

You may want to ask the owner/manager of the gun store why he put out such a piss poor looking model as a display? If all it needs is 5 minutes with an emery board why didnt he do it to help make the sale?
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike from Texas View Post
    Or baby blue ones.
    There is a guy at ktog.org that has them in all kinds of wild colors. I guess that just appeals to some people.

And I'll make the same offer here he has used to pick up a few of his. If anyone has a P3AT they don't want, I have a $100 bill to trade for it.

As unbelievable as it is to me, quite a few people accept the offer.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Senior Member Array blueyedevil's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowsbane View Post
    Ok, First thing are they ugly? Oh my God yes. But it is not like a BG is going to say "Well, your weapon is so beautiful I will now give up crime and feed the poor in Africa"
    That's funny, but so true.

Most of my carry guns are ugly, by my own standards. I have two Kel-Tecs and yes both of them fit into the butt ugly category, even more so than my Glock. And I have to say I think Glocks are pretty ugly. Obviously aesthetics are not important to me when it comes to a carry gun, and I don't think they should be.

Back to Kel-Tecs, they can have some teething problems, but most firearms do. They are not polished, have machining marks finish is not great. Trigger pull is long and relatively heavy, and they generally are not a whole lot of fun to shoot.

However, they are also cheap, dirt simple and easy to work on (if you are so inclined), and close to if not the smallest and lightest most concealable handguns in their class. With some TLC are very reliable, and if any major problems occur have great customer service. If you can find another firearm that retails for $2-300 that beats a KT, by all means go for it. I haven't found any though.

me
    I do have to stand up for PJ here in one respect. I had done my home work, researched the gun and had an I dea what it was. But when I got to the shop to actually hold it I almost walked away because it looked much less than I expected. It scared me to see it in person because I was expecting something different. But I had set my mind on it so I bought it since the price was still a big selling point for this broke college kid. I bought it and like it, now it is my second choice to carry but my mother will carry it even though she wont carry her J frame.
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

Here's an interesting group. The Kel-Tec Owners Group, who'd a thunk it?

http://www.ktog.org/
    "Success is not Final, Failure is not Fatal, it is the Courage to Continue that Counts"
    Sir Winston Churchill

I just bought a P3AT yesterday. I paid $260 for it and took it to the range for the first time today. I ran 50 rounds of blazer thru it, but I had no FTF, FTE or anything.
    "Success is not Final, Failure is not Fatal, it is the Courage to Continue that Counts"
    Sir Winston Churchill

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links