About the Kel-Tec P3AT, I gotta say. . .

This is a discussion on About the Kel-Tec P3AT, I gotta say. . . within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I wouldn't accept a FREE one. Not the way that thing looked in the case at the gun shop. The other day, I saw a ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: About the Kel-Tec P3AT, I gotta say. . .

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar

Thumbs down About the Kel-Tec P3AT, I gotta say. . .

I wouldn't accept a FREE one.

Not the way that thing looked in the case at the gun shop.

The other day, I saw a Kel-Tec P3AT when I was browsing the case at a gun shop. I didn't ask to handle or examine it, I just happened to see it and said to myself, "Oh, this is that gun people are always talking about on CC.com."

The one I saw had a green frame. The thing looked so horribly manufactured that I truly would be worried for my safety if I were to fire it. It really looked like a poorly manufactured cheap Chinese toy. Wherever there was a seam of plastic, there was that plastic scrappy fringe hanging off of it. Even the diamond checkering on the grip was sort of flattened a bit in one spot, indicating that the plastic is soft and junky.

I don't make a habit of denigrating guns; there's a lot of personal taste involved in what people choose, based on what appeals to them for a whole assortment of reasons. But this P3AT, I just can't see why it would appeal to anyone. They sure ain't doing it for the aesthetics. But beyond that, it doesn't seem possible that they're doing it because it's a well-made, quality gun . . .

If you have one, what drew you to the point where you spent money on it? Would you bet your life on it? Do you?

2. Remove Ads

All I know is that they have a lifetime warranty and that a fair amount of un-named but reputable law officers in my area and several of the officers and deputies I know personally are buying them for BUG's because of their size and caliber and price.

I'm like you though, I'm leary of their reliability and have no first hand experience. What good is a lifetime warranty if it misfires and you're dead. I would have to put hundreds of rounds through it without a stoppage before trusting it.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

WOW, without even taking it out of the case, you sure passing judgement very easily. Do you pass judgement on people you pass on the street just as easily? I hope not, cause I am uglier than any of my guns, but damn, I am a good guy! and oh... I love my P3AT! So I would appreciate it if you would stop insulting me or my gun.

Mine hasn't misfired once! Not a single hicup in its operation.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

I have had a 1st. gen P3AT for 4 years/1000 rounds. My young bride has had a 2nd gen for 3 years/700 rounds. Never a malfunction with either. I currently load with w/ Gold Dots.

Kel-Tec firearms are not pretty. They most certainly do not have a polished appearance. They are, however, functional, reliable, and efficient, within the context of their designed purpose, and the manufacturer stands behind their product. It's accurate enough for close range defensive shooting (7 yards and under).

I purchased my P3AT on the recommendation of the LEO who taught my CCW class. It's lightweight and thin, perfect for pocket carry (I use a thin wallet-shaped pocket holster). It's truly a go-anywhere firearm. .380 ACP is not my first preference for a defensive round, but for a handgun of this size, weight and utility, it's respectable. For me, it's a very valuable CCW option.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    The other day, I saw a Kel-Tec P3AT when I was browsing the case at a gun shop. The thing looked so horribly manufactured ...
    Yeah, the Dupont Zytel (or whatever make of) plastic used for the frame has an unfinished, "cheap" look to it.

Would you bet your life on it? Do you?
    Do, yes. As a backup, there are few good alternatives. NAA, Seecamp at 3x the price, Rohrbaugh at 6x the price. It's hardly a decent primary, but it's a sufficient deep-cover backup when absolute concealment is required.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Because it is the best ALWAYS gun you can own. They have a lifetime warranty, they are reliable, inexpensive and perfect size.

I use a P11 as a primary and P32 as BUG in the summer.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

I have literally seen hundreds of them and never ran across one in the condition that you spoke of. I have had a P-11 for over 2 years and have about 1200 rounds through it. It is my office carry, since I can slip it into my right front pocket in a DeSantis Nemisis pocket holster. THough not a lot of fun to shoot, it is accurate, reliable and I like the 10+1.

It surprises me that the gun dealer would display something in that bad of condition instead of sending it back to Kel-Tec.

tex
    The only thing needed for evil to exist is for good men to stand by and do nothing!!!

It looks like a toy, i's not pretty, and my hand hurts if I shoot more than 50 rounds from it during a range session. But as a reliable pocket gun, it's perfect.

I do wonder why they make the green one. I can't imagine that anybody thinks it is better than black. Maybe Kel-tec got a good deal on green plastic.

I rely on one for everyday deep concealment. It goes with me everywhere. There is not one situation that I have been in, in the year I have owned it, when I couldn't carry it. I have shot about 1000 rounds through it with only one failure to feed (it was the first magazine after it was bought).

I did a little bit of fluff and buff shortly after I bought it. The plastic fringy crap is common, but all you have to do it take a little 220 grit sand paper to it and problem solved. I did this to the back strap, the front strap, the trigger, trigger gaurd, and so on. After the fluff and buff it felt and looked like a gun that should cost twice the price I paid.
    I'm married to my Kahr.

My P32 is virtually the same as the P3AT. It's flawless, light, and ugly as sin. I don't really care what it looks like while it's in my pocket all day.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Yep, ugly as 20 miles of bad road but it's sitting in my pocket right now and, yes, I'd trust my life to it's reliability.
    "If you so much as bunny hop I'll cut your heart out!" Billy Bob Thornton in The Last Real Cowboys

"I carry a gun for the same reason that I carry health insurance and a cell phone - be prepared."

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    I wouldn't accept a FREE one.

Not the way that thing looked in the case at the gun shop.

The other day, I saw a Kel-Tec P3AT when I was browsing the case at a gun shop. I didn't ask to handle or examine it, I just happened to see it...
    What a credible case you make against the Kel-Tec.
    I've never owned, driven, or even sat in a Chevy Impala, but I just happened to see one and now know that they are absolute garbage just because I don't like the way they look.

Your post was a joke, right?

I like mine. Sure, it's not as scary as other guns, and it may even look like a squirt gun, but it goes bang every time.

It looks cheaply made. It's not 'pretty'. It often comes with rough edges that need attention. The sights are nearly invisible without a magnifying glass.

It will also reliably put a full mag in a 6" circle at 15 yards so fast that the bullets are nearly bumper-to-bumper. It is light enough to always have with you, and small enough to conceal no matter how close to naked you are.

I enjoy shooting mine a lot at the range. In addition to extremely rapid fire at normal pistol ranges, I also shoot it at 50 yards. While I canít think of a situation where a 50 yard shot would be required with this pistol, it is nice to know it will hit at that range.

Someday some one will build a better pistol in the size/weight, but donít hold your breath!
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by 0.02 View Post
    What a credible case you make against the Kel-Tec.
    I've never owned, driven, or even sat in a Chevy Impala, but I just happened to see one and now know that they are absolute garbage just because I don't like the way they look.

Your post was a joke, right?
    I wouldn't dunk him quite that hard. I agree, KelTec doesn't spend money on finishing- but they don't charge you for it either!
    If you put a bit of polish into them, they seem to be fine. Saying that, I have to admit, I couldn't bring myself to buy one, when I was looking for a pocket pistol- I got a Seecamp for $325, about $100 more than the KTs. I wouldn't knock someone for buying one. I might hqve some questions if they put full-faith in one out of the box, though.......

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links