.40 S&W Ammo Report

This is a discussion on .40 S&W Ammo Report within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I shot 2 50 round boxes of ammo today through my G23. 1. WWB 180 gr. JHP - $15.99 2. Remington 180 gr. FMJ - ...

Thread: .40 S&W Ammo Report

.40 S&W Ammo Report

I shot 2 50 round boxes of ammo today through my G23.

1. WWB 180 gr. JHP - $15.99

2. Remington 180 gr. FMJ - $14.99

At 3 meters, shooting at a standard 50 ft. Bullseye Pistol Target, using an isosceles stance, the Winchester White Box was noticeably more accurate and consistent. I could keep 9 of 10 in the black, while shooting rapidly with the WWB, only 7-8 with the Rem.

Also, I field stripped the gun and examined it for dirtiness between boxes. Not only was the Remington less accurate, it was far dirtier than the Winchester. At the end of the box of Remington, my hands were dirty, where at the end of the Winchester, they showed no signs of dirt.

No controversy here. Strictly informational.

2. Remove Ads

Thanks for the info. I just picked up a .40S&W. Yeah, it's been my experiance that Winchester is very clean ammo.

Senior Member Array incredipete's Avatar
    Agreed. Remington was always much dirtier than Winchester, which is the main reason I switched.
    Gun Control means never having to say "I missed you."

- Glock 27 (.40)
    - Kel-Tec p3at (.380)
    - Beretta 96FS (.40)
    - Smith & Wesson 5906 (9mm)

test procedure?

I get the impression that you shot the 50 rounds of Winchester FMJ first, followed by the 50 rounds of Remington JHP. If that is correct, I would point out that:

1. Unless you cleaned your gun after the first 50 rounds, your cleanliness comments at the end of the Remington were based on a gun that just had 100 rounds through it, while those at the end of the Winchester were based on a gun that just had 50 rounds through it. I would expect the gun to be dirtier after 100 rounds, compared to 50.

2. Often one's accuracy will tend to decline the more rounds fired, as you slowly become tired from shooting, especially with an energetic round like .40 S&W from a lightweight gun like a Glock 23. This might explain part of your reduced accuracy with the second box of ammo, the Remington.

Senior Member Array incredipete's Avatar
    My comments on dirty Rem ammo came after using exclusively Rem ammo for several months. Even cleaning after each range trip, I was still getting dirty enough during the range time that I'd get jams and other problems. I switched to Winchester, and now I can go for the same length of time, same gun, and no jams, and much less dirty.
    Gun Control means never having to say "I missed you."

- Glock 27 (.40)
    - Kel-Tec p3at (.380)
    - Beretta 96FS (.40)
    - Smith & Wesson 5906 (9mm)

Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post

1. Unless you cleaned your gun after the first 50 rounds, your cleanliness comments at the end of the Remington were based on a gun that just had 100 rounds through it, while those at the end of the Winchester were based on a gun that just had 50 rounds through it. I would expect the gun to be dirtier after 100 rounds, compared to 50.

The gun was field stripped and wiped down between boxes. The surface dirt was very obviously greater with the Remington than the Winchester.

I have been shooting Winchester 180 gr FMJ since I found them being sold at Wal-Mart in 100 round boxes for under $20. I've had absolutely NO issues with the ammo in any of my weapons.
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

Quote Originally Posted by fatboy97 View Post
    I have been shooting Winchester 180 gr FMJ since I found them being sold at Wal-Mart in 100 round boxes for under $20. I've had absolutely NO issues with the ammo in any of my weapons.
    ++1
    God Bless America!!

My experience with Winchester factory ammo was the reason I selected Winchester powders for all of my reloading needs. IMHO, the cleanest, most accurate powder for reloading .40 S&W is WSF; and for .45 ACP, WST. They may not have the cachet of N340, but they are inexpensive and they work.

I've noticed the same thing, but in .45acp ammo. The WWB is just really clean. The Rem makes a huge flash in my guns, kinda scares me...lol. In the smaller calibers I really haven't noticed much of a difference.

Links