S&W M&P 340 CT Revolver - Thoughts?

This is a discussion on S&W M&P 340 CT Revolver - Thoughts? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by austinguy23 Man, that's slick! Thanks for the pics. By the way, I noticed on a gun shop's website that the owner stated ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: S&W M&P 340 CT Revolver - Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by austinguy23 View Post
    Man, that's slick! Thanks for the pics.

By the way, I noticed on a gun shop's website that the owner stated "Unsafe - do not shoot" on all of his M&P Airweight guns. I thought it was odd since they were all listed as new, so I e-mailed him to ask about it. He responded "These guns were made with alloy cylinders and the unsafe to fire warning comes from Smith & Wesson itself."

This blows me away. Did your S&W come with such a disclaimer/warning? I can't believe a gun manufacturer would sell a gun they consider unsafe or list as unsafe.

http://www.collectorsfirearms.com/ad...%26p+airweight
    Those guns are from the 1950's and they are indeed unsafe to shoot with ANY ammo as per Smith. Smith realized in short order that aluminum cylinders were not safe on a revolver in .38 special and went back to steel cylinders. That is the way Airweights have been made to the present date. The surviving guns with the aluminum cylinders are indeed very valuable as collector's items since they are so rare, but they have no value at all as working guns.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by austinguy23 View Post
    Man, that's slick! Thanks for the pics.

By the way, I noticed on a gun shop's website that the owner stated "Unsafe - do not shoot" on all of his M&P Airweight guns. I thought it was odd since they were all listed as new, so I e-mailed him to ask about it. He responded "These guns were made with alloy cylinders and the unsafe to fire warning comes from Smith & Wesson itself."

This blows me away. Did your S&W come with such a disclaimer/warning? I can't believe a gun manufacturer would sell a gun they consider unsafe or list as unsafe.

http://www.collectorsfirearms.com/ad...%26p+airweight
    As samtechlan pointed out, Smith & Wesson no longer uses aluminum for the revolver cylinders (unless it's on the 317 which is a .22LR J-frame). The cylinder on my M&P is stainless steel, while other .38/.357 J-frames may use titanium, stainless steel, or carbon steel depending on the model.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links