Police Return Gun After Shooting?

This is a discussion on Police Return Gun After Shooting? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; From personal experience ( with my cousins case which is pretty well here if you search for it ) it takes about a year to ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Police Return Gun After Shooting?

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    From personal experience ( with my cousins case which is pretty well here if you search for it ) it takes about a year to get the guns back from the state crime lab and into the estates possession . They will not be cleaned or cared for in that time .

Edited to add : had he not been killed in the incident it would have been much longer . If a gun is used just consider the value of it as lost , it may well come back but if so it will be so long a time to just consider it gone .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    I'm certainly not suggesting one use a sub-par gun to protect their life & of loved ones.

I'm merely saying that certain guns, particularly souped up 1911s with "all the bells & whistles" are maybe better range guns, than EDCs. I'm sure a $1K or less 1911 is just as effective for SD as a $2K+ one, that's all.

My life's worth more than any gun I can buy (To me, at least), but a Glock whatever, XD, or one of the plainer 1911s (Both Kimber & Springfield Armory makes some good 1K or less guns), would do just as well in a SD scenario. IMHO.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

Here, unless charged with a felony (which I wasn't), the gun is returned immediately.

The state doesn't take kindly to its local LEOs taking people's toys away.
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    cockedlocked01 You hit the nail on the head , i have some nice guns , but my carry gun(s ) are pistols that are both resistant to abuse , and guns i am willing to loose . For me the Kahr line offers what i want as what i can afford to walk away from . I would love to have one of Chris's little pocket rockets ( roraghbaugh ) but am not willing to have one as a safe queen , nor am i willing to possibly subject it to the abuse of an evidince room .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

The weapons are taken for evidence. As long as everything checks out on your end, you will get your weapons back after the trial is over. I know this from first hand experience.
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Smith & Wesson M&P9c

VIP Member
    I hate the old line of "How much is your life worth?" It seems that it is often used by those that choose extraordinarily expensive pistols as a way to look down on those that choose something less expensive.

Simply put, there is nothing better about a $2000 Ed Brown pistol when compared to a Glock, XD, Sig, etc. when it comes to defensive use. You may shoot the 1911 style better. But, combat accuracy isn't bullseye shooting and any well made firearm will do well enough. You may choose to arm yourself with any pistol you wish. If you find comfort in having a custom pistol based on JMB's design, more power to you. But, that isn't going to be my choice- and the value of my life has nothing to do with it.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

VIP Member
    I'll relate a similar, but not identical scenario that I found myself in:

Back when I was at Fort Lewis (early-mid 1990s), my house was burglarized. Among the things stolen was a Winchester 1300 and a Grendel (precursor to the Kel-Tec) .380 (hey, I was a poor junior enlisted!). All police reports were duly submitted, and I followed up with them for a few months to see if anything was recovered. I got the usual "we'll let you know if anything turns up" line.

About a year later, I got a letter from the Pierce County Sheriffs Office...they were updating their database and wanted me to verify all the serial numbers of the things that had been stolen in the burglary.

As I was looking through the papers, I noticed that my 1300 had been checked "recovered" some 4 months earlier! No notice to me, no phone call, no letter, no nothing. Had they not been updating their info, and had I not noticed the small print on the serial number form, I would never have known that the SO had been holding my shotgun for more than 120 days....

After a bunch of calls, and a visit to the County building where they made me feel like the criminal, I got my 1300 back. Bottom line, from my very limited experience – don’t count on the local PD to be proactive in getting your property back to you. You may find the good, active, responsible guy that will make sure the law abiding citizen is not screwed over…but then again, you may not.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

That Reminds Me

Quote Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
    I have heard of confiscated guns being "lost."
    It's funny you should mention that. There's another big controversy here in Houston because 21 guns came up "missing" from the HPD Property Room. They were apparently sold because two of the 21 were confiscated during routine patrols a short time later. http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...n/4749994.html

The HPD is a mess and has been for years...

Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four View Post
    I hate the old line of "How much is your life worth?" It seems that it is often used by those that choose extraordinarily expensive pistols as a way to look down on those that choose something less expensive.

Simply put, there is nothing better about a $2000 Ed Brown pistol when compared to a Glock, XD, Sig, etc. when it comes to defensive use. You may shoot the 1911 style better. But, combat accuracy isn't bullseye shooting and any well made firearm will do well enough. You may choose to arm yourself with any pistol you wish. If you find comfort in having a custom pistol based on JMB's design, more power to you. But, that isn't going to be my choice- and the value of my life has nothing to do with it.

Agreed, that expression irritates me as well. Just out of curiosity, what do you carry?

But, combat accuracy isn't bullseye shooting
    +1 on that

By the time you have pulled your weapon, you don't have the time to lolly gag around with your sights...
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Smith & Wesson M&P9c

Quote Originally Posted by broknindarkagain View Post

By the time you have pulled your weapon, you don't have the time to lolly gag around with your sights...
    Which is why we have lasers.

Quote Originally Posted by 0.02 View Post
    Which is why we have lasers.
    Good point...but then again, if you're concealing chances are you don't have room for a lazer mounted on the bottom of your pistol...if you know of a holster that will accommodate for that, please let me know, that would be pretty cool

Smith & Wesson M&P9c

Quote Originally Posted by broknindarkagain View Post
    Good point...but then again, if you're concealing chances are you don't have room for a lazer mounted on the bottom of your pistol...if you know of a holster that will accommodate for that, please let me know, that would be pretty cool
    Several 1911s as well have revolvers have factory installed laser sights integrated into the grip (see pics below).

You can get CT grips as pictured above, Lasermax are also good as they replace the recoil rod, both are pricey.
    You can get holsters for some guns and railed lasers, not all though.
    Blade Tech make some off the shelf, otherwise go custom.

I believe I read on the HK forums that Comp-Tac will make you a custom holster if you submit your laser setup to them so they can form the holster properly.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links