XD safety

This is a discussion on XD safety within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; as i am looking to a xd9sc, i am wondering what you all think about trigger and grip safeties. also would like some more info ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: XD safety

XD safety

as i am looking to a xd9sc, i am wondering what you all think about trigger and grip safeties. also would like some more info on how they work. what are the disadvantages and advantages of them over a manual thumb safety for carrying?

2. Remove Ads

I don't put my finger on the trigger until I am ready to shoot, so it works fine for me.
    The advantage is that I don't have to remember to 'unlock' my gun.
    The disadvantage is reserved for the BG.

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    .02, +1.

I like having the grip safety in addition to the trigger safety - by shifting your hand off of the safety, reholstering becomes a non-issue, even if a retention strap or cover garment gets jammed in there with the trigger under stress.

Fine for me carried one for a while prefer the grips safety as it doesnt come out of battery if the grip safety is released when your reholster

Works for me.

I was concerned too, but I think it's a fantastic arrangment. Like .02 said, I don't have to worry about forgetting to unsafety "in the moment," But the dual safety makes me feel better about packin' a cocked gun.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

+1 on loving the trigger/grip/sear safety combo on the XD.

And I loved it even more after breaking the whole thing down and really understanding how it works. (Get the XD Disassembly DVD!)

I now have complete confidence when re-holstering since I use the butt of the grip and keep my hand off the grip safety. I can know for sure that there is NO WAY my trigger can snag and my gun can fire.

Yet at the same time, I know when I grab the grip, aim and shoot, the gun will go bang without me fumbling with a manual safety.

Personally, the combo of integrated safeties had a lot to do with why I decided to get the XD for my primary carry gun.

Here is a bit more info on how it works:

http://www.gunsandammomag.com/techside/xd_010305/
    Proud Georgia Firearms Licensee
    Springfield Armory XD-9 Subcompact
    Seecamp LWS32
    Browning Buckmark
    Walther P22
    Bersa Thunder 380

thanks a lot guys, thats what i was expecting (and hoping) to hear.
    i think its a great combo of safety for me and not for the BG.

oh, also, does anyone know what the warranty information for the XDs are?

Lifetime warranty,
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

I have an XD 45ACP service. I really like it being a 1911 guy. The only thing I do not like is not being able to buy parts. There are shops to do some custom work but nothing like the 1911 line. If your not a guy who likes to tinker yourself it'll be a great gun.

as i am looking to a xd9sc, i am wondering what you all think about trigger and grip safeties. also would like some more info on how they work.
    How they work? Trigger safety lever blocks rearward movement of the trigger unless it's depressed. It's very simple, doesn't do anything but that. Grip safety blocks the sear from moving unless it's depressed..

what are the disadvantages and advantages of them over a manual thumb safety for carrying?
    One less thing to remember. Point-click. Not all thumb safeties are as ergonomically nice as a 1911's.

You'll get used to it real quick.

oh, also, does anyone know what the warranty information for the XDs are?
    Lifetime for original owner.
    Last edited by lee n. field; May 3rd, 2007 at 07:08 PM.

Great Point Bud White.

The cocked striker indicator and loaded chamber indicator are also very worthy features.

The loaded chamber indicator of the XD is much more prominent than that of the Glock and I like it right up there on top of the slide at the ejection port.

The loaded chamber indicator for the Glock is so subtle, you almost have to be proficient at reading braille to notice it, where as on the XD you can damn near stub your toe on it. Much more suitable to one being in a full blown "fight or flight" response.
    Last edited by Bark'n; May 2nd, 2007 at 08:31 PM.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

my XD quickly became my favorite gun. it's got great ergonomics, and i like the additional safety features. the striker and chamber indicators are also very nice to have.

Quote Originally Posted by lee n. field View Post

Lifetime for original owner.
    Actually it's lifetime, period. I had concerns about it when I bought my old XD40SC used so I spoke with SA about it. They don't care if you're the first owner or the 100th, it's covered.

*edit* forgot. the grip safety was never an issue for me. It was a big reason for me buying it as I wasn't quite comfortable with carrying cocked w/o a safety. IMO, with just a little thought and paying attention, it should be the best of both worlds. No safety to forget about and no worries about shooting yourself in the leg during reholster (I always moved my thumb to the rear of the slide which released the safety. After practicing it a few times a day for a week or so, it became natural. I actually do it with my Glock now....)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links