My New S&W M&P .40

My New S&W M&P .40

This is a discussion on My New S&W M&P .40 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Howdy, I'm new to the forum, but I've spent hours reviewing this website. Thank you all for your contributions. I have found them all helpful. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs up My New S&W M&P .40

Howdy,

I'm new to the forum, but I've spent hours reviewing this website. Thank you all for your contributions. I have found them all helpful.

I've done lots of online research, conducted many informal straw polls, tested several guns at the local ranges and decided I liked the S&W M&P.

I went to the Dallas Gun Show this weekend and purchased a Smith and Wesson M&P semi auto in .40 cal.

It is full size and will not be as "easy" to conceal as some others, but I love the way it fits my hand. They do have a compact version with a mag extender for the pinky, but it still felt too small for me. The full size frame with the medium size grip fits my hand perfectly. There is three grips to choose from.

After a trip to the range I have run 200 rounds of Winchester White Box with out a single jam, mis feed or issue. It is a smooth shot, though the trigger did need a few rounds to really smooth out.

The felt recoil was mild. And I had no problem getting my second shot right on target.

One feature I really liked; at the end of the 15 round mag the slide stays open, and if you slam the next mag in, it chambers a round and the gun ready.

Mine does not have the "mag safety" or "key lock" that I have read some models have. That may just be a benefit of living in Texas.

The S&W website msrp'd the gun at $624 and the first vendor I saw had it for $715. After some more searching I found it for $550 and eventually I found a guy selling it for $395 . I bought another clip and magazine loader thumb saver (UpLULA) from a different vendor and was out of there for right at $500 total. New gun, 3 clips and loader.

All and all, great gun and great price, I don't have one single complaint.

I really like this purchase!
    Attached Images

VIP Member
    Glad it is working for you

Congrats on your new gun, and good job on the shopping around for the best deal. I've not found many good deals at local gun shows.

me
    I love mine. The medium grip on it fit my hand the best for comfort, however I found I shot the small grip the best. Needless to say I carry it with the small grip since I shoot it best.
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

$395!!

Somebody gave you a great deal.

What holster are you going to use?

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by 0.02 View Post
    $395!!

Somebody gave you a great deal.

What holster are you going to use?
    Take a day trip to my neck of the woods on a gun show weekend... You can buy used ones all day in that price range.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Reading his post again I don't see that his is used.

Plus Nashville isn't known for cheap guns, just beautiful women.

Oh yeah, and Al Gore...

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by 0.02 View Post
    Reading his post again I don't see that his is used.

Plus Nashville isn't known for cheap guns, just beautiful women.
    True on all points... even if it is used, how used could it be? They havent been out all that long.
    "Just blame Sixto"

It is new.
    I haven't found the right holster yet. From what I've heard a lot of manufacturers are starting to make them for the M&P, but there are not that many in the market yet. Any recommendations out there?

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Any one of the custom holster makers that frequent this forum (or have representative users of their gear) would be an excellent choice. Personally, I really like Nate Gable's stuff (UBG).

http://www.ubgholsters.com/

Thanks for the info. I've looked over the info on most of the guys that post on the forum and I'm sure all of them are great choices.

Glad to have you here... Hope you keep coming back!

Congrats on the new Gat!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I liked the feel of the M&P Compact that I fondled at the gun shop one day. I rented the full-size to get an estimate of how the Compact would shoot and I liked it. I thought the trigger was better than that of a Glock. There may be an M&P9C in my future.

Range Update: I've put 750 Rounds though the M&P in the last couple weeks! Love it. Haven't had one single issue. Great gun!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links