Kahr P40

This is a discussion on Kahr P40 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I made an impulse buy today, sort of. Let me back up. I used to own a Kahr MK9 that I loved. Accurate little pistol ...

Thread: Kahr P40

Kahr P40

I made an impulse buy today, sort of. Let me back up. I used to own a Kahr MK9 that I loved. Accurate little pistol and a pleasure to carry. Then, after 450 rounds of flawless performance, I had a malfunction where the empty shell casing got stuck backwards in the ejection port. The open end of the casing was wedged on the extractor. It took some effort to clear it. This spooked me and I sold the gun to buy a S&W 340PD.

I was explaining this to a friend of mine. I told him how much I miss the Kahr and wanted to get another one, but was afraid of the reliability issue. He is a firearms instructor and said that it might have been bad ammo and I should give Kahr another chance.

So I was thinking about my 340 and how it has the internal lock that I am not crazy about. I have two other j frames, so do I really need to keep this gun? If I had extra cash I would have kept it.

Anyway, today I traded my 340PD for a new Kahr P40. It feels so nice in my hand. I cannot wait to shoot it. It will take me awhile to trust Kahr again. It took me about a year to break down and get a Kahr again. I'm going to put A LOT of rounds down range to make sure she is reliable. More than the 200 that Kahr recommends.

I'll post pics in the future.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Great choice, but there is no doubt about it Kahrs can be fickle. Mine does not like the cheap ammo; it shreds blazer cases.
    I trust my PM9 100% and carry it daily.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I've had ZERO problems with my Kahr K40 & hundreds of rds have been through it.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Great choice, but there is no doubt about it Kahrs can be fickle. Mine does not like the cheap ammo; it shreds blazer cases.
    I trust my PM9 100% and carry it daily.
    What kind of ammo do you use for target and carry. I was going to use what my job carries. Federal hyrda-shock 165 gr. I like the Speer GD 155 gr but I think that it may be a bit too snappy for such a small light pistol. It was bearable in my G27 but I don't know about the P40.

My target ammo will be Federal American Eagle ball ammo 165 gr.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by NY27 View Post
    What kind of ammo do you use for target and carry. I was going to use what my job carries. Federal hyrda-shock 165 gr. I like the Speer GD 155 gr but I think that it may be a bit too snappy for such a small light pistol. It was bearable in my G27 but I don't know about the P40.

My target ammo will be Federal American Eagle ball ammo 165 gr.
    I use 124 gr GD for 9mm and the 155 for .40.
    I am not selective at all with the practice ammo. I want ammo that does not work 100% of the time. Blazer alum case seems to have about a 10% malfunction rate,(with the Kahr) so it keeps me on my toes and skills up on the tap and rack. I'll shoot what ever is on hand on the range.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Links