What's an Internal Lock??

This is a discussion on What's an Internal Lock?? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been reading up on the light weight S&W revolvers and noticed a few people referring to an "internal lock". What is it and how ...

Thread: What's an Internal Lock??

I've been reading up on the light weight S&W revolvers and noticed a few people referring to an "internal lock". What is it and how does it work? I've only heard it referred to in a negative light...

Because of some legal thingy, gun companies now put locks on their guns. You can lock it and it won't work, even though it looks just like it always does - the lock is internal. Or you can leave it unlocked and its not supposed to interfere in any way with the normal functioning of the gun. Some people just hate the idea, others don't trust it, some are fine with it...there's a million different opinions on them, but they are a fact of life.

Lead Moderator
    On alot of new(if not all) there is a small key hole to lock the trigger . Probably the best example I can think of is on the Taurus semi autos. its right on the RH side of the slide (in the serrations)
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Senior Moderator

If you look on the frame of this Bersa just above the trigger you will see a hole. That's an internal lock. I have a key on my keychain that fits in that hole and will lock the trigger keeping it from being manipulated without the key.

Some manufacturers like Springfield put these in the back of the gun near the Main-spring housing, some put them elsewhere but the effect is the same.. Your gun is nothing better than a paperweight when it's engaged.

I like the internal lock in some aspects, I don't in others. Only one of our guns has one and that is the one shown above. The rest just rely on their owners safe handling.

It's a reason to not buy any gun that has one.

Assuming you are indeed "austinguy23", it's like getting yourself a set of 36DD implants. Generally useless and more than a bit vulgar.

Seriously, on S&Ws it is a frame mounted set screw that will lock the hammer. Taurus has a similar system, but it is external. I dislike it enough to not buy weapons that have been so disabled.

I like it for the reason if one if my firearms with the lock somehow gets stolen, it will be useless. I have a safe, but thieves can be crafty buggers. It's also easier to deactivate than a trigger lock/cable.

It's a poor solution, to a nonexistant problem. The same key, operates all the internal locks of a manufacturers product line. I'm one of those who don't purchase handguns which have internal locks. There are enough things things to worry about with defensive firearms, without adding useless parts. Murphy still lurks, I prefer to minimize his opportunities. If you'd like a second opinion, they are ugly too. YMMV. Regards 18DAI.

I recently traded in a S&W 340PD for a Kahr P40. The deciding factor on trading in THAT particular gun was because of the internal lock. I bought the 340 because I had always wanted one. But the more I read about the trigger locking up without engaging the internal lock, the more paranoid I got. If you go on the smith and wesson forum you can read more about it.

I own two other j frames without the internal lock and I can trust them 100%. I didn't feel as comfortable with the 340 because of the lock.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Quote Originally Posted by NY27 View Post
    But the more I read about the trigger locking up without engaging the internal lock, the more paranoid I got. If you go on the smith and wesson forum you can read more about it.
    The trigger is known to lock up without engaging the internal lock?! Wow, it just takes one person getting shot/killed in a combat situation due to such a malfunction for S&W to be brought to its knees with a lawsuit...

Quote Originally Posted by austinguy23 View Post
    The trigger is known to lock up without engaging the internal lock?! Wow, it just takes one person getting shot/killed in a combat situation due to such a malfunction for S&W to be brought to its knees with a lawsuit...
    I hope that it never comes to that. It doesn't bother some people, but I will never buy a firearm with an IL again.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Sponsored Links