Anyone Shot/Own a Glock 39?

This is a discussion on Anyone Shot/Own a Glock 39? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The .45 GAP sub-compact Glock 39 has a lot of appeal to me considering its dimensions are the same as the 9mm subcompact Glock 26 ...

Thread: Anyone Shot/Own a Glock 39?

Anyone Shot/Own a Glock 39?

The .45 GAP sub-compact Glock 39 has a lot of appeal to me considering its dimensions are the same as the 9mm subcompact Glock 26 yet has the stopping power of a .45 ACP.

I would be very interested to read someone's review of it:

1.) Concealability?
    2.) Recoil?
    3.) Other comments?

Thanks!

2. Remove Ads

I've not shot a G39, but I have shot a G38 .45GAP for whatever it's worth. I used 200gr. Hydra-shocks and the recoil was pretty identical to a .45ACP. Unless you really can't grip or conceal a G30 or G36 very well, then I don't see much advantage to a GAP. A .45ACP is cheaper to shoot and has more readilly availible ammo. I'm not a Glock fan, but my brother swears by them and has one chambered in about every caliber. That being said, I love "mutt" pistols, (anything chambered in .357 sig for example). For some reason I like to have something different than everyone else (must be the reason I don't like Glocks). If it speaks to you, buy it.

VIP Member
    The 45GAP is an answer to a question that nobody ever asked. There was no need or demand for a .45 short, and that is what it is. With the .40 S&W and .357 Sig rounds, there was no need for another "modern" caliber. They increased power over the 9mm while keeping the gun from having to be as large as a .45 ACP. I will not buy GAP on principle.

That said, it will perform just as well as every other Glock pistol.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Ammo is expensive for the .45 gap.

Administrator
    I would by a .357 sig before the GAP If I needed more power than the common calibers, but I guess that wasnt your question. No, I havent shot the 39.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Is the speculation that GAP will be discontinued just speculation?

kpw
    Only shot the G37 and it felt similar to shooting a G22 to me so maybe the 29 feels similar to the 27? I kinda like the GAP. I don't care if we needed it or not, it's a neat idea and works well. Ammo will get a little cheaper in time. I like the 10mm but it sure ain't cheap to shoot. Future wish list...an EMP in .45GAP. I can see me owning one.

Senior Member Array incredipete's Avatar
    I shoot the G27 and I love it. Very concealeable... I do IWB. I haven't fired the .45 version, but I imagine it can't be much worse than the .40...
    Gun Control means never having to say "I missed you."

- Glock 27 (.40)
    - Kel-Tec p3at (.380)
    - Beretta 96FS (.40)
    - Smith & Wesson 5906 (9mm)

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    My recomendation waid for the G30 SF (to come out) if it ever does!!!

I don' t how long the GAP will be around. Not a very popular cartridge.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four View Post
    The 45GAP is an answer to a question that nobody ever asked. There was no need or demand for a .45 short, and that is what it is. With the .40 S&W and .357 Sig rounds, there was no need for another "modern" caliber. They increased power over the 9mm while keeping the gun from having to be as large as a .45 ACP. I will not buy GAP on principle.
    I've actually read that the .40 isn't much of an improvement over the 9mm in terms of ballistics/stopping power and that the .357 kicks like hell. The .45 GAP reportedly has a mild kick...

G39

The Glock 39 ROCKS!!! It has become my favorite carry weapon. 1. It replaced my G26 and is just as concealeable. They are identical except for slide width, and it doesn't seem to make a difference.

2. The first time I fired my G39 with 230gn HSTs I had a death grip on it! ....turns out the recoil is VERY mild. I think that it is more pleasant to shoot than 9mm 127+p+. More of a push than a snap.

3. Dont listen to the haters. The gap round will be around as long as 357sig or 10mm. Likely longer, and it isn't expensive in bulk. The concealablecontrol.com GAP magazine floorplates make the weapon much more controllable without sacrificing concealability. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by maddog61 View Post
    The Glock 39 ROCKS!!! It has become my favorite carry weapon. 1. It replaced my G26 and is just as concealeable. They are identical except for slide width, and it doesn't seem to make a difference.

2. The first time I fired my G39 with 230gn HSTs I had a death grip on it! ....turns out the recoil is VERY mild. I think that it is more pleasant to shoot than 9mm 127+p+. More of a push than a snap.

3. Dont listen to the haters. The gap round will be around as long as 357sig or 10mm. Likely longer, and it isn't expensive in bulk. The concealablecontrol.com GAP magazine floorplates make the weapon much more controllable without sacrificing concealability. Good luck!
    Glad to hear it and thanks for the review!

Links