Adjusting Trigger Weight

This is a discussion on Adjusting Trigger Weight within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If I wanted to adjust the weight of my trigger, do I have to drop off my gun with the gunsmith and come back after ...

Thread: Adjusting Trigger Weight

Adjusting Trigger Weight

If I wanted to adjust the weight of my trigger, do I have to drop off my gun with the gunsmith and come back after he has spent time adjusting it, or is it a simple iterative process whereby he makes many small adjustments as I dry-fire it between adjustments until I reach the weight I like?

The reason I ask is because I don't know how the trigger will feel from one weight to the next. If I just drop it off and tell him to make it 7 lbs, I may come back the next day to pick it up and be disappointed.

Thanks

2. Remove Ads

what kind of gun do you have?

Administrator
    Ditto that it's impossible to answer your question without knowing the make and model of the firearm that you want to have trigger work done on.

Senior Member Array incredipete's Avatar
    I had a New York trigger (12 lb) put on my first Glock. The gunsmith knocked it out in a couple of hours, charged me 40$.
    Gun Control means never having to say "I missed you."

- Glock 27 (.40)
    - Kel-Tec p3at (.380)
    - Beretta 96FS (.40)
    - Smith & Wesson 5906 (9mm)

Quote Originally Posted by raysheen View Post
    what kind of gun do you have?
    Let's say it's a S&W 340 CT revolver. I have no immediate need...just educating myself on the process involved. I can't imagine knowing in advance whether you'd want a 7 lb trigger, 4.5, 10, etc...

I would personally need to play with the different weights, but if changing the weight of a trigger is a long, drawn out process, that may not be an option available to me :(

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    I suggest you go to a good gun shop, and dry fire every pistol there until you find your "perfect" trigger - and find out what that is set at, either using a Lyman trigger pull gauge (the shop may have one handy), or by simply asking the fellow behind the counter.

Quote Originally Posted by Jchoo View Post
    I suggest you go to a good gun shop, and dry fire every pistol there until you find your "perfect" trigger - and find out what that is set at, either using a Lyman trigger pull gauge (the shop may have one handy), or by simply asking the fellow behind the counter.
    Good idea. I appreciate the tip...

VIP Member
    I just got back my Taurus 351 from a trigger job yesterday. I bought it for my daughter and the trigger on it was pretty rough. I left it up to the gunsmith, it took about 10 days. If it were my carry gun, I'd want to be there when he did it or specify what I wanted it adjusted to. I dont know how many lbs it is now, but its excellent. Cost me $41.00.

Lead Moderator
    Try some different trigger pull on guns you may be looking to get. Decide on the gun first, practice, then decide if a trigger job is really needed.
    Please don't take this as an insult, but most factory guns are more accurate than their owners can shoot. Modifications are not needed as much as more training and practice.
    An example would be my learning to shoot a S&W revo DAO. I had shot only light trigger target guns in competition before. After 3 -4 weeks I qualified easily , thanks to training .
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by incredipete View Post
    I had a New York trigger (12 lb) put on my first Glock. The gunsmith knocked it out in a couple of hours, charged me 40$.
    I'm guessing that meant to say a couple of minutes right? That should be the kind of thing that they can do while you wait. Only typing this in case the OP has a glock. Trigger weight changes on these guns take about 5 minutes via new springs and/or disconnectors. Only a few combos availiable for these guns but you can really change the gun a lot having only a few options if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by raysheen View Post
    I'm guessing that meant to say a couple of minutes right? That should be the kind of thing that they can do while you wait. Only typing this in case the OP has a glock. Trigger weight changes on these guns take about 5 minutes via new springs and/or disconnectors. Only a few combos availiable for these guns but you can really change the gun a lot having only a few options if you ask me.
    +1.

I just bought a complete drop in trigger kit with a polished connector for $24. This is available for any model Glock.
    Kimber Ultra Carry - CT Lasergrips
    Glock 19, 21SF, 29
    KelTec P3AT
    Built M4 Carbine - My Evil Black Rifle

Links