From 30 yrs of wheels to semi auto

This is a discussion on From 30 yrs of wheels to semi auto within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Geez guys, one little misspeeled word and look what happens. Biker...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: From 30 yrs of wheels to semi auto

Roflmao

Geez guys, one little misspeeled word and look what happens.

Biker

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    Geez guys, one little misspeeled word and look what happens.

Biker
    Tell me you did that intentionally... banana, peel.

OD*
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

.357 snub next to the bed ...

... and a hi-capacity 9mm for carry. The semi-autos are comforting for two reasons - their flatter profile makes for easier waistband carry, and the Hi-capacity is very reassuring.

When I was in the police academy, we studied a California Highway Patrol shootout that took place in 1970 in the town of Newhall. Two bad guys murdered four officers in a 4 and 1/2 minute shootout. The four revolver armed officers hit one suspect once.

When its dark and I'm bleary eyed with sleep, I want the simplicity of a revolver. When I'm alert and on the street, I want a semi-auto. My CZ-75B has 17 rounds available before a mag change.

Senior Member Array Smith&Wessonfan's Avatar
    Revolvers make you practice harder when you have to get everyone with five shots.

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    I like revolvers, but I don't own any myself. I surely wouldn't mind picking up a S&W M19, though. There's enough fine history with that gun to make up for that crazy spinning part.

Besides, you can't shoot snakeshot out of a semi-auto... well, not more than one at a time.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Smith&Wessonfan View Post
    Revolvers make you practice harder when you have to get everyone with five shots.
    I have to disagree here...Accusing everyone who carries a higher capacity handgun of being lax in training is a pretty broad and patently false statement.

All having 5 rounds means is that you have 5 rounds. You would hope it would equate to a lot of training, but it certainly is no guarantee. Mindset, time, money, et cetera will determine how much and how hard you practice: I would posit that the SAS trains "harder" than most of us, and their normal sidearm holds 15+1 or 13+1.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GaryARK View Post
    ... and a hi-capacity 9mm for carry. The semi-autos are comforting for two reasons - their flatter profile makes for easier waistband carry, and the Hi-capacity is very reassuring.

When I was in the police academy, we studied a California Highway Patrol shootout that took place in 1970 in the town of Newhall. Two bad guys murdered four officers in a 4 and 1/2 minute shootout. The four revolver armed officers hit one suspect once.

When its dark and I'm bleary eyed with sleep, I want the simplicity of a revolver. When I'm alert and on the street, I want a semi-auto. My CZ-75B has 17 rounds available before a mag change.
    I do prefer a revolver for home defense. I feel fine with my 642 as far as carrying, but would feel just a little better with 10 rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by robere View Post
    Anyone been a "wheelie head" for a long time, then make the change for ccw?
    Had a S&W 442 for a decade, though I also had a large-cap semi-auto 9mm pistol for plinking. Turns out that the "plinker" was so excellent that it swayed me to the realization that I could conceal better and have two or three times the ammo. Now, I'm 100% semi-auto. I'll only carry something that's 100% reliable, or at least as near as can be. The CZ P01 9mm has turned out to be just that.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I am the opposite. Twenty years ago I was born on a Colt .45 in the Marine Corps and have owned Glocks and other Semi Autos since then. Having (what I think) mastered the Semi Auto, I have turned my attention to the revolver and picked up a 442 after attending a class at S&W.

Maybe it's just a phase, but boy did I miss out. I wish I bought one sooner. On duty it's still a Glock but off duty it's pocket carry that is now my favorite carry.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by semperfi.45 View Post
    I am the opposite. Twenty years ago I was born on a Colt .45 in the Marine Corps and have owned Glocks and other Semi Autos since then. Having (what I think) mastered the Semi Auto, I have turned my attention to the revolver and picked up a 442 after attending a class at S&W.

Maybe it's just a phase, but boy did I miss out. I wish I bought one sooner. On duty it's still a Glock but off duty it's pocket carry that is now my favorite carry.
    Well we'll see how it goes for me. I'm waiting on my holster ( K&D ) for my XD40SC , then need to practice with it before I carry it, so it'll be towards the end of the summer before I carry my first semi-auto.
    I love my 642 and can shoot it over and over with no problem. I shoot with some friends and when I ask them if they want to shoot the 642, they always pass. They say its "too much". I can hit well with it and the recoil doesnt bother me..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links