From 30 yrs of wheels to semi auto

This is a discussion on From 30 yrs of wheels to semi auto within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've always had wheel guns. I bought my first semi-auto a couple weeks ago ( XD40SC ). I've shot a few semi -auto's but wasnt ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: From 30 yrs of wheels to semi auto

VIP Member

I've always had wheel guns. I bought my first semi-auto a couple weeks ago ( XD40SC ). I've shot a few semi -auto's but wasnt familier with them. When I got the SC40 I had never even broke one down before and didnt know how. I love this gun.
    Ive been carrying for about 6 months. I've carried a 642 and of course I'm very comfortable with it. Ive got almost 300 rounds through the XD and wont think of carrying it until I have atleast 500 rounds through it. PLus, I dont have a carry holster for it yet. I ordered a IWB K&D Dakota Defender for it (2 weeks ago) and figured by the time it gets here, I'd be familier with the gun and have well over 500 rounds through it. But I gotta admit, I'm a little nervous about carrying it. 30 years is a long time to be use to one thing. I will carry with one in the chamber, I don't believe there's any other way to carry. I can't really practice drawing very well because I dont have my holster. Ive tried just sticking it in my wastband just to get use to it, but the reholstering needs to be practiced too so there are no "accidents". So I guess it'll be a long time before I carry it because I'll have to practice once I get my holster. I want to get use to it and carry it for the larger capacity. I'll still carry my 642 when I need to conceal better.
    Anyone been a "wheelie head" for a long time, then make the change for ccw?

Congrats on your first semi and an excellent choice in the XD40SC. I have an XD9SC and like it. I have however found myself carrying the M&P9c more often.

Assistant Administrator
    Count me in a similar group!

Once I got into centerfire handguns it was revo's I teethed on - for many years. My first semi was an early BHP, in fact my only semi (handgun) right up until 1997 when UK grabbed handguns.

Since rebuilding my collection (and some!) I again did my best to replace some of my revo's but it was not long before I had another BHP - and even preceeded that by Mr Fugly - the P95!

My first year's carry tho was M85 snub after which I used the P95 - reverting to snub (SP-101) for another year. Eventually I discovered SIG for myself and that was it - carry was going to be semi all the time feasable and has not varied this last 2 1/2 years other than for very brief spells when necessary.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Both are good

I also have many years of gun ownership and have accumulated a small collection, but have never been strongly tilted towards either revolvers or semiautos. I believe that each type has strengths and weaknesses, and my collection is probably 35% revolver and 65% semiauto. I have carried both types, and generally take both types to the range when I practice.

I guess I like revolvers for their looks, reliability, ammunition variety and easy concealability because of their rounded shape. But I like semiautos for their looks (some of them, anyway), ammo capacity, quick reloads, flat profile and unusual materials like polymer.

I guess I just like handguns, in all flavors and types.

Administrator
    Do not practice carrying your firearm in any manner that you would not carry it fully loaded and cocked & locked.

In other words if you'll never carry it "just stuffed into your waistband" then don't do that.
    That will accomplish nothing in preparing you for your serious "every day carry" of a semi-auto firearm.
    It seems like you've already realized that though.

Also if you don't have a proper stiff gun belt then order one of those now also...since your great forthcoming holster will not do you a lick of good for proper concealed carry without having a good belt to keep it company.

I'm betting that you'll transition easily from one handgun format to the other.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Member Array chiefs-special-guy's Avatar
    NOOOO!!
    say it ain't so Robere!
    another good guy lost to The Dark Side.....

God Bless
    Six for sure...Uh, I mean Five. Five for sure..

Wheelguns are still a favorite of mine. I guess it tells my age. Steve48

I grew up with Revolvers and switched to autoloaders in the late eighties.

Now that I'm older I'm seen as an acronym and I'm back to carrying a Revolver. I carry a 4" N-Frame IWB and a J-Frame either in my pocket or on my ankle when I'm off-duty.

I've gotten a lot of joy out of returning to wheelguns. It's nice to outshoot the kids with my old wheelie. Since tactics are what wins gunfights I don't consider myself under-gunned.

I can shoot autoloaders, and do. I have just found that I prefer round things. Maybe that's just my way of trying to return to a simpler time.

Biker

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Do not practice carrying your firearm in any manner that you would not carry it fully loaded and cocked & locked.

In other words if you'll never carry it "just stuffed into your waistband" then don't do that.
    That will accomplish nothing in preparing you for your serious "every day carry" of a semi-auto firearm.
    It seems like you've already realized that though.

Also if you don't have a proper stiff gun belt then order one of those now also...since your great forthcoming holster will not do you a lick of good for proper concealed carry without having a good belt to keep it company.

I'm betting that you'll transition easily from one handgun format to the other.
    When I say Ive practiced with it in my waistband, its only to feel the difference between the revolver and the XD. I'll do lots of practice once I get my holster before I carry. I do have a good 1 1/2 inch gunbelt. I use it with my 642. I believe in doing it right if you're gonna do it.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    Now that I'm older I'm seen as an acronym...

Biker
    Weren't we talking about acronyms (BOHICA, FUBAR, etc) on another thread? I think you meant an anachronism, Biker!

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go sharpshoot and nitpick some more...you'd be surprised how hard it can be to do both of those at the same time!
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Biker's an anarchist?

May Day was yesterday...

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by 0.02 View Post
    Biker's an anarchist?

May Day was yesterday...
    Biker's the antichrist?
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Oh man, I love chinese whispers.

I hear that Biker's Auntie is Chris.

VIP Member
    Who's going to Ruth's Chris?
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Assistant Administrator
    I hear that Biker's Auntie is Chris.
    What?! ....
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links