Experience with the Wilson ADP?

Experience with the Wilson ADP?

This is a discussion on Experience with the Wilson ADP? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a chance on a good deal on a 9mm Wilson ADP at a local shop and I was wondering if anyone has any ...

Thread: Experience with the Wilson ADP?

Question Experience with the Wilson ADP?

I have a chance on a good deal on a 9mm Wilson ADP at a local shop and I was wondering if anyone has any comments on this piece? http://www.wilsoncombat.com/new_adp.asp

I've been looking at a H&K P2000 for features and a Kahr for price, the Wilson falls between the two and seems to offer the best of both.
    I was mainly concerned about recoil as it has a fixed barrel (like a Bersa) I presume like anything with the Wilson name would be high quality but I've only had experience with their 1911's.

I couldn't find anything on the forum search.
    Last edited by HighwaymanRider; May 2nd, 2007 at 01:55 PM. Reason: added link
    Highwayman Rider

"An armed society is a polite society."
    -R.A. Heinlein

I have the highest respect for Wilson and I'm sure it would probably be a solid gun. Unfortunately, I have never held one. Wilson is psycho about customer service- I'm sure they'll make it work if you decide to get one.
    G-23, 27, 35 (all .40)
    G-29 10mm
    H&K 45c
    Les Baer Thunder Ranch 5"

Administrator

additional fyi

The ADP (Advanced Defensive Pistol) has been developed by South African gun designer Alex Du Plessis in about 1991.
    ADP pistol was intended for concealed carry by various police and security services, as well as by civilian users.
    First production guns appeared in 1994 from South African company Aserma.
    At about the same time, rights for ADP design were sold to Italian company Tanfoglio, that briefly manufactured ADP as Tanfoglio P-25. Same pistol also was sold in USA trough second half of 1990s as Heritage Stealth.
    In the year 1995, an improved version of the basic design was introduced, the ADP mark II pistol.
    In about 1998, the noted South African arms making company Truvelo Armory took over production of ADP pistols, chambered for 9mm and .40SW ammunition.
    A new .45ADP (based on shortened .45ACP case, basically similar in concept to current .45GAP) round also was advertised in this pistol, but apparently it was never made in quantity.
    In the year 2004 it was announced that Truvelo will cease production of ADP pistols because of "insufficient market demand", but early in 2006 US-based company Wilson Combat announced that it will import newly made ADP Mark II pistols into United sates under its own name, so it seems that production of this gun will be resumed.

ADP pistol uses gas-delayed blowback action with stationery barrel. Gas piston is located below the barrel, and hot powder gases are fed there from the bore via small port near the chamber.
    Gas piston is inserted into the cylinder from the front, and is connected to the slide, in the same manner as in famous HK P7 pistol.
    The frame is made from impact-resistant polymer, with removable steel insert that hosts slide rails and barrel.
    Trigger is striker-fired, double-action only with pre-cocking (therefore second strike on misfired round is impossible without at least a partial slide retraction).
    Manual safety is somewhat unusual in its placement, as its levers are located just behind the trigger, at either side of the frame.
    Sights are fixed, with the rear sight blade dovetailed to the slide.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

The owner of the blog site "Mad Ogre" liked it, and has adopted it as a primary carry.

I would say if Bill Wilson is now importing them and doing "his magic" with them, and putting his Name on it, then it is a gun design he feels is worthy of having "His Name" on it.

If you know anything about Bill Wilson is that he has spent his lifetime building a reputation in the industry and does not jeopardize his reputation for anything sub-standard.

When "Scatter-Gun Technologies" went out of business, he took over the company and now, he does with shotguns what he has done with the 1911 platform. Nothing but the best!

Whether it's a 1911 platform or not, if it has the "Wilson" name on it, it is the best quality, or he will make it right!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Americian Handgunner didn't have a lot of nice things to say about it. (If you know how to read a gun review) The idea of having to clean out the little gas vent every 50-200 rounds isn't appealing either. Considering it has the same action as the HK P7, I managed to speak to a few owners of those. They said while the HK is fun, that action causes the gun to get extremly hot and after 60 rounds you need to put the gun down or the trigger can actually burn you!

I know George from Mad Ogre likes it a lot and no offence to the guy, but I don't know him and I think I'd like any gun I was given for free too. He also seems to be the only guy I can find online who actually likes it as well. I was a bit disappointed to hear that Wilson just bought the manufacturing rights (and it is a production piecs, not a hand-finished) and the only actual "Wilson" component of the pistol is Wilson's nice coating.

A bit depressing because I really liked the size, (and admitedly the idea of owning something with "Wilson Combat" on it for under $1500) but I decided to pass this time around. If it turns out I am dead wrong they should be available for not too much more then what I was offered.
    Highwayman Rider

"An armed society is a polite society."
    -R.A. Heinlein

Administrator
    Things like obtaining spare parts, HOLSTERS, and extra magazines tend to sometimes be a problem when buying an uncommon pistol.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I have the Heritage Stealth that the ADP has evolved from. My only criticism of the gas delayed system is as stated, the pistol heats up ( I mean hot!) mine, after about 20 rounds. At the range I give it a good 15 minute cooling off period between firings. For self defense with one magazine this should be a non-issue. Accuracy is dead on though.

Links